Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My recent ski trip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:40 am 
Happy Friday All!

During December '07 I went skiing (snowboarding to be exact) for the first time in Kirchberg, Austria. It was a great time although learning to snowboard wasn't easy and I've never been so stiff in all my life! I must say that I'm now hooked and will have to start saving for another trip at the end of this year. :-)

Here are a few pics from the trip:

1.Image 2.Image
3.Image 4.Image
5.Image
6.Image 7.Image
8.Image
9.Image
10.Image 11.Image
12.Image 13.Image
14.Image 15.Image
16.Image
17.Image

One regret of the trip was not taking my little IXUS compact camera. A SLR is too big and potentially fragile to be carried in your backpack, esp. if you expect to fall down occassionally :lol:. A compact camera can be slipped into a jacket pocket and allows you to take alot of candid shots of friends while you rest on a slope.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am 

Looks like a fun trip. Shooting in snow and sun can be tough, but you wouldn't know looking at your photos; they all came out exposed well.

I really like the contrast of snow and blue sky on #11 and the framing on #14.

What lens were you shooting with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 pm 
thanks Steve,

I found good tips available online for ensuring proper exposure (like adjusting EV for eg.) when shooting in snow under different light conditions, and camera care etc.
The research was valuable for me in terms of learning more about reflectance, how cameras use this light information to meter and why you would want to compensate for this under certain conditions.

I took my EF-S 17-85mm IS and EF 50mm f/1.4 with me:
Pic #11 was taken with the 17-85mm (@ 70mm, 100 ISO & 0/3 EV) and pic #14 was taken with the 50mm (@ f/4, 100 ISO & 0/3 EV).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:17 pm 
Nice photos Roland!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah nice shots Roland! I can't wait to get back on my board!

I share your frustration though about what camera to take - I'm still falling a lot! That Olympus 790 SW would be good in this environment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:30 pm 
Nice shots!!

I'm going skiing on Sat. I am going to take my XTI with me. With all the snow we are getting the hill sides should look great.

nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:16 pm 
Great shots!!!

I'm going to Germany in a few weeks to try my hand at snowboarding - I'll try not to get too injured but I have a feeling I'll be falling A LOT!!!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:02 pm 
Markh wrote:
Great shots!!!

I'm going to Germany in a few weeks to try my hand at snowboarding - I'll try not to get too injured but I have a feeling I'll be falling A LOT!!!

Mark

ive been snowboarding for 3 years now and just a few tips learn how to stop first without falling over so if your not comfortable go slow and stop occasionally and the key is to learn how to carve and everything but hopefully you will have a good teacher!! :wink:

And of course just amazing photos o love all of them expecially the one of them on the ski lift and stuff and the guy skiing with the background blured very nice!! look great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:42 pm 
Great pics Roland
makes me wish I can be there too !!
Perhaps in the future... :wink:
BTW, did you encountered any problems shooting in the cold,? What was the temp like ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Off-topic - Mark, if you're a beginner boarder, you cannot wear too much padding - seriously. You will fall on your hands and your bum a LOT, so wrist guards and padded 'impact shorts' are a must!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:07 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Off-topic - Mark, if you're a beginner boarder, you cannot wear too much padding - seriously. You will fall on your hands and your bum a LOT, so wrist guards and padded 'impact shorts' are a must!

wish i wouldve known that before i learned :D .. well live and learn i suppose right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:00 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

Thanks for the advice Gordon - I shall pad up well!!!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:02 pm 
emp93 wrote:
ive been snowboarding for 3 years now and just a few tips learn how to stop first without falling over so if your not comfortable go slow and stop occasionally and the key is to learn how to carve and everything but hopefully you will have a good teacher!! :wink:

Thanks for the advice too!!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:39 pm 
Those are some really nice shots!

Some of them I could easily see in a travel brochure (I mean that is a serious compliment). They capture a very recognizable essence of being on a ski/board trip that I think everyone who's been, can relate to.

EDIT: perhaps a better way to express myself is to say that some of them are really iconic!

Thanks for sharing :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:21 am 
thanks all for your kind comments.

I would agree with Gordon - if you're still learning, try and buy/borrow some padding. I was boarding for the first time, and was able to borrow some light knee pads and some 'impact' shoes which made a big difference. I also borrowed a helmet one day, which many will also recommend. Not only does it obviously give you protection, it keeps you warmer and keeps your goggles secure (i had 1 or 2 falls where my hat and goggles went flying :lol:)

DavidL - thankfully i didn't really encounter any problems. I took 2 batteries along and was able to recharge at night so didn't get caught out. While outside, I didn't have any condensation issues with the camera or lenses but made sure I put it in my bag when going indoors.

I mentioned it before, but if you want to get some pics of yourself & family/friends while on a run, on a lift etc. take a compact camera if you have one. I missed not having mine.

To those that are going soon - have a great time!