Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:37 pm 
Hello Thomas

I live and work in Kendal which I think ticks a lot of your boxes.

It's not quite a York, Canterbury or Bath, but it is an interesting town with plenty of history and some unique features, as well as its own castle (in ruins, admittedly, and possibly not the most photogenic).

It's midway between the Dales and the Lakes so ideal in that respect.

There are plenty of sleepy hamlets. Sorry, I don't know Clovelly, but there are some great little spots here and there. Personally, I love Troutbeck and the Troutbeck valley, as well as Kentmere, which are both only a short drive away.

Windermere is only a 15-20 minute drive away.

Beaches... there are one or two within relatively easy reach. Morecambe Bay of course is close by too. You can get some beautiful sunsets over the bay.

I don't know Sissinghurst Castle Garden. A short drive from here we have Sizergh Castle & Gardens and fractionally further afield there's Holker Hall & Gardens (where this is also an annual garden festival).

I hope all this is of interest. If it does sound like the place for you, by all means drop me an email (I'm assuming you have access to my email address through this forum) with any questions. We have a lovely holiday let here but I'll refrain from posting a web address. I read the forum rules and saw that you couldn't link to shops in your signature, but wasn't sure about something like this... I'll err on the side of caution, therefore, and not post it. In any case, I'm sure you could work it out if you wanted to. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:37 pm 

Thanks for the tips, kendalcottages! Kendal is certainly close enough to have a look if we're going for Morecambe Bay.
And thanks for not being openly advertising: There's enough information in your profile to find one's way :wink:
And welcome to the forum!

Just a question regarding finding a place to stay around Easter and Bank-Holidays: I assume one should make reservations over these days.
Just how far ahead in your experience for this area? Or is it enough to secure lodgings on Thursday before Good Friday (=April 6th)?
Our problem is that we possibly don't know in which area we'll be at that time

@oldCarlos: Thanks for the additional information. Will locate the places you mentioned and have them on our list when we get in that area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm 

You're welcome Thomas.

tbh, in the more popular/main tourist areas, accomodation tends to get booked up well in advance @ school/Bank holidays (+ they charge a premium :wink: ) so if you made your visit just after, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

There are tourist information centres in every area, so make a note of them before hand if poss.
You'll find B&B accomodation all over, even in some of the smaller villages, so you could stay for a couple of nights mid-way between places of interest & drive around.

Many pubs, as well as hotels, do B&B.
Then there are the `Premier inns` http://www.premierinnhotels.co.uk/ & `Travelodge` http://www2.travelodge.co.uk/ chains, which can be very reasonable too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 am 
Quote:
Just a question regarding finding a place to stay around Easter and Bank-Holidays: I assume one should make reservations over these days.
Just how far ahead in your experience for this area? Or is it enough to secure lodgings on Thursday before Good Friday (=April 6th)?
Our problem is that we possibly don't know in which area we'll be at that time

Hi Thomas

I would definitely recommend booking in advance. Many will be booked up already. I wouldn't say it's impossible to secure accommodation at such late notice, but it could be very hit and miss, and you'll most likely be left with the less desirable (or overpriced) places that remain.

Generally speaking, and of course with some exceptions, the better places tend to book up first. We are already fully booked for Feb and March, so all interest is now tending to focus on April and May, as well as later in the year. It probably won't be long before those two months start booking up. Last year, we were completely booked up for May 2011 before 2010 had even ended - not so this year, so it can vary a lot from one year to the next, too.

I'm not sure what type of accommodation you have in mind but, if it's self-catering (where personally - I know I'm biased - I think you get the best value, often with more privacy and space, too), then bear in mind most owners will only take weekly lets during high season (which would include Easter). Typically this is Friday-Friday or Saturday-Saturday.

If you are only looking for a short break, you'd probably be better off with a hotel/B&B/nice pub. Bear in mind that they too might have minimum stay terms (often 3 nights when it's a Bank Holiday).

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 pm 
Just a few suggestions from a SW Londoner;

- Hampton Court Palace and Gardens
- Richmond Park
- London Wetland Centre
- Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew
- Royal Horticultural Society, Wisley Gardens

http://www.globalgrasshopper.com/destinations/uk/10-of-the-most-beautiful-places-to-visit-in-the-uk/

http://www.edenproject.com/

However, all that being said, if you're going to be around the Bath area, then you could go south to Devon and Cornwall, I promise you won't regret it. It's like another country, they actually have their own flag!

http://www.lulworthonline.co.uk/

http://www.visitcornwall.com/

Do a google image search for "Dungeness, Kent, England".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm 

Thanks for your input, Mitch! Will have a look at your suggestions.
Not sure that we have the time to go Cornwall in our week in the south. But Kent and Devon are certainly on our list.
Second week should be up north, around Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and then over to York I think...
But we're still flexible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm 
For a wide range of photographic opportunities within a relatively small distance, Cornwall is worth a trip in itself. If you don't go this time, go next!

Where are you from in Germany?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 pm 

I'm from a more rural part of Bavaria.
Btw. I've already been to Cornwall twice, so it's not that I ignore it :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:48 pm 

Thomas, it'd be good to see some pics of the places you visited 8) (and your thoughts on them)
Will you be starting a seperate thread, or adding on here? (I reckon some folk won't notice your D800 thread)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:34 pm 

Good idea, will collect some of the shots here!
But not tonight...