Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sri Lanka Surfari
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:21 am 

Bit of a rushed post I'm afraid, I'll come back and add some notes later.

All shot on my 550D with 18 to 135 kit lens. All shot as JPG then processed in Picasa mostly some very heavy cropping on some and using the "I Feel Lucky" button on most

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:56 am 

Nice set of pictures. I like the one of the guy with hammer and chisel very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 pm 
I like this photo alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:06 am 
Thanks for commenting folks, its appreciated. Glad you like them enough to say so.

So here is a question for you: Can you say why you like those shots in particular? It may sound daft but I'm trying to learn what it is that makes an image good enough for someone to think that. How much is composition, how much is content?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:09 am 

Quote:
So here is a question for you: Can you say why you like those shots in particular? It may sound daft but I'm trying to learn what it is that makes an image good enough for someone to think that. How much is composition, how much is content?

It is 95% composition and 5% content.* I agree with the above posters that the best shots are the hammer guy and the feet. The hammer guy is interesting because you have action and because you composed the shot so that you are showing just what is needed to convey the action - there is no empty wasted space. Likewise the feet are interesting because there is a lot of interesting detail (the curled toes, the ankle bracelet and the texture of the wood etc.) and again you composed to just get the interesting stuff and don't have empty space.

OK it isn't really 95/5. It is actually 31% composition, 31% lighting, 31% timing and 7% subject. A good photographer should be able to make (not just take) a good photo of any subject. The key is to think about what is interesting about the scene and then work out what needs to be in the picture (and what doesn't) in order to convey that interest.

There are a whole bunch of guidelines for better composition. Filling the frame is one that I mentioned above. Others include the rule of thirds and leading lines.... There are a bunch of articles on photo composition at http://photoinf.com/. Alternatively see if you can find a course that focuses on composition. I recently did a short three day workshop and it transformed my photography.

PS I noticed that you went to Galle/The Galle Fort. I was in Sri Lanka at Christmas and got some great photos. It's an amazing place.