Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 am 
In February I will be travelling to Banff, Canada, and am making an early inventory of what to bring. Banff being in the Canadian Rockies, I want to take my camera with me. The 7D is obviously a great camera to bring along and yet I am a bit concerned about its size and weight. I’m going there with my wife on part business, part honeymoon, part first time experience with real wilderness (although we are staying at a very posh hotel), and so it’s not really like I can constantly carry around my 7D.

Since I have been looking at a second camera for a long time, I could decide to force the issue and buy a mirrorless to take along with me instead of the 7D. That might make it easier for me to have a camera on me most of the time.

What do you think? Take along the 7D at the risk of using it only on a few occasions? Or get a mirrorless and likely more shots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:37 pm 

Mirrorless may be smaller than DSLR but you have to consider is it smaller enough to make the difference? While I still have the E-P1, I don't use it now as it isn't smaller enough over a DSLR for "carry everywhere" and I've reverted back to a high end compact in that area.

Of course the more modern m4/3 bodies are a fair bit smaller now, and Panasonic's X series standard zoom is also small too so that could be a potent travel package, possibly with an extra lens or two for more options when you can carry more.

And obviously, whatever you buy, you better get it sooner than later so you can get used to using it before you go away.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:50 pm 
Thanks Popo!
I don't think it will have to be a truely pocketable camera and I consider image quality of primary importance, so m4/3 is the very least.

I'm actually thinking about a NEX5n, possibly the dual lens kit (18-55mm and 16mm). Quite surprisingly I have started to like the 5n. I still don't like the way it looks, but it can deliver amazing image quality and ISO performance for the price. Even with the kit lenses it should do well. It seems to me like a good travel camera considering the balance of size and image quality.