Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:50 am 

Last edited by dubaiphil on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 pm 

Some really beautiful shots, my favourite has to be 11. with the lovely misty hills in the background ! How were you storing your camera on your travels out of interest ? as Im jetting off soon abroad :)

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm 

Thanks Tom - On that trip I had my D90 (gripped), 18-105 and 70-300 in a Tamrac backpack, together with SB-600, memory cards, blower, lens cloth. Not too heavy and always with me. The biggest bonus was getting a cushioned neck strap, slung long so the camera was over a shoulder and sitting on my hip all day - that made things a lot more comfortable. Luckily the tripod stows in the hold luggage (but not needed for any of these shots)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm 
Damn you know you've got a good eye when you can tell HDR even if the image is black and white.

Do I win a cookie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:34 pm 

No cookie, Bramsey!

No HDR in any of them. All single exposures, and no varying exposures from the single RAW file. I used Colour Efex first to boost contrast and detail, and then Silver Efex.

Packet of Bourbons, please...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 pm 

Stunning shots Phil!
I love Silver Efex Pro too :wink:

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:54 am 
Great shots. Love the B&W look. Brings back so many memories of our trip there last year. We overnighted at Halong Bay - beautiful place. So many parts of Vietnam are a photographers dream. Hai Van Pass and Ninh Binh provence and the quirky sight of people getting a pedicure or shave on a pavement in amongst all the parked scooters. Only wish I'd had my dslr then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:32 am 
some lovely great shots looks really good in B&W.
i go to Vietnam every 4 months and love the place, ive taken some great shots but only with a compact. now i got my DSLR I hope i can produce some excelent shots like yours.
seeing them make me miss the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:16 am 
Great Photo Phil but Personally I'd go for Color version, the subject especially street photo in Vietnam have unique kind of color like fruit basket on the stall, different tone of colour of building, Bilboard & as well the Pagoda, flags of Vietnam & finally the natural landscape.

The composition, detail sharpness & its depth & finally the subject are Epic & stand out the most. Unfortunately the B&W doesn't work well & really killed the mood for me. Overall Great sets of Photo & I'm sure you're having a great trip to Vietnam :roll:

Above my Critique as just my 2Cent Opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 am 

No problem, Adi Zulhusni MarkII. Where have you been lurking?

I personally think that Vietnam lends itself to B&W, which gives it a bit more of a timeless quality. Not a lot has changed over time and for example in no 10 the shot could have been taken in the 40s.

Most of these shots were overlooked when I first processed shots from my visit for one reason or another. Converting to B&W seemed to bring something extra out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:32 am 

But on a positive note, at least this thread has drawn a few lurkers out into the open! Thanks guys. It's been getting a bit stale around here recently. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:04 pm 
Hi Phil apologies if my previous critique way too harsh & didn't pay attention it was to be B&W sets, at time making comment I was Half sleep & didn't read description that it was solely for B&W sets :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway I'm no expert commenting a B&W Photography however its great set & yeah B&W photo are slightly underrated in travel photography :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:33 pm 

Great set, B&W suits them well.