Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:28 am 

I'm Just getting into PP with PSE, I would appreciate CC on this shot after PP, I straightened out the buildings on the left otherwise it's obvious. Is it over done?

First Post Oct 09

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 am 

It might help if you detail all the specific adjustments you made.

Firstly, the sky's perspective & scale is all wrong. If you want to 'shop in a more interesting sky, then you need to find one shot from roughly the same angle. The one you chose looks like it was shot with the camera pointing upwards whereas your photo is shot pretty much perpendicular to the ground.

Did you straighten the buildings using lens correction or did you rotate the photo? I suspect the former but I think you could have got better results with the latter as your horizon still looks tilted.

Also, the saturation is a little overdone for me.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:44 am 

Thanks Kimchi, I only changed the saturation level. I'm surprised you picked up the sky perspective, it was one I shot vertically and popped it in. Perhaps a flaky looking cloud may have been better here like the one top left.. I wonder how many members would pick this up.

I straightened the building using elements keystone distortion and I did not pick up on any tilt in the shot, in retrospect I should have straightened it. As for the saturation I agree, down one level would have been better as I like my shots to be natural as possible, I just got a bit excited on improving a lousy original shot.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:38 am 

The oversaturation kinda reminds me of those old early 1900's photos that were either colored or used the 3-color filtered cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:25 am 

4xxxx

No offence, but I'd lose the sky. It looks completely abnormal, as said previously.

Accademia bridge offers great views - my best bit of advice would be to scout the shot and then return when the light was better, unless you were just in town for 1 day. The view towards the end of the Grand Canal (scaffolding pending!), would have been better for contrast and light at the time of day you were there. For that view from the bridge, early to mid morning would be best. Trying to recover the saturation and look that you remembered when you were there will end up looking slightly unnatural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:51 am 

I agree with both above comments , thanks for the input, second attempt. Unfortunately I can't shoot again as I'm in Oz, this is close to what I can remember.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 am 

The jury's still out on the clouds. The scene is slightly backlit and the clouds are definitely frontlit, at a composition to near the vertical I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:20 pm 
Make a new layer, darken the original sky, then put them together. This should create the best result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:39 pm 
I just noticed that to the right a part of the roof is gone, I don't know if this was intentional?

Last edited by Matz45 on Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 am 

Thanks for the CC guys, this one has learnt me. I took this with the D40X in 08, a few months after I bought it and did not know anything except P mode and long exposures for shooting high ceiling in cathedrals.

I did not consider (or was aware of) front/back lighting considerations when I first popped in the sky as pointed out by Phil. I took Carloz's advice with the sky and also adjusted the levels for the buildings, cropped the sky as I thought it was to much.

Matz has a sharp eye, that was a blue on my part, this one is fixed. I guess high contrast shots are difficult to fix.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:56 pm 
Now the photo is really enjoyable. Good job :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:54 am 

Thanks Carloz, the new layer made this easier. I have the original 12*8 on my office wall and never liked it. Guess this would be easy for the more experienced.

My next challenge is going back to Natural Arch in the next few weeks and try get a decent shot with such high contrasts of the falls and surround. I've been given some advice from the forum so I'll try it out.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:17 am 

bracket like crazy - very high extremes of dynamic range there...