Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kind of on topic but not
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 am 
I'm going to be flying overseas here in the next month or so, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the airports deal with cameras? I have three lenses and a camera body, in a Lowepro stealth reporter bag. I know that they always ask for you to take out your laptop when going through security, do they ask you to do anything for the camera? I plan on keeping my camera with me throughout my whole trip. Backpack's going up in the overhead, but camerabag is going under the seat in front of me.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:20 am 

I've never had anyone asking for the camera to be switched on, or anything like that. They've just asked me if there's a laptop in the bag and then x-rayed it. I don't think you should have any concerns.

The only other potential issue is carry on weight, which some airlines are picky about but others aren't. I've never been asked to weigh my backpack camera bag but others might have a different story.

My advice would be that if the airline you're travelling on does weigh hand luggage, then wear something with pockets that can carry some of your lenses if required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:37 am 

I usually dont have any hassels when I travel with my cameras and I fly quite a bit. I have been asked to open my case once in a while and a few times I have been asked to take the lenses off my cameras. One time they ripped my whole case apart when I went to Burma. The last time I went to New Zealand 2 years ago, when I returned, they found some grass/dirt stuck to my camera lens and they made me scrub it off. The worst thing that happened to me was while returning from China a few years ago they confiscated my memory cards because they thought I took some pics in restricted areas, which I did :twisted: . They returned them after they looked at them and deleted the images in question.

Like mentioned above.. make sure your bag fits the requirements... they dont check often but when they do and if yours doesnt fit they will not let it on. I know Air Canada is very strick on checking bags when they do check them which is quite often. They usually check my case about 25% of the time.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 am 
I just travelled to Marrakesh with my camera - which was in its Tamrac carry case and then within a bigger bag i had (bloody Ryanair restrictions) and they didn't say anything when it went through the x-ray machine.

I shouldn't worry about it :)