Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:54 pm 
Ok folks?!

I took up photopgraphy about a year ago. I would consider myself the least artistic person ever, until, i discovered photography as a form of art.

I've briefly read Martin Freemans: A photographers eye and i'm a complete amatuer but i think without going into too much theory i just "get" photopgrahy and what makes a good photo. I understand certain things such as composition, symmetry, framing and lines etc.

I'm really hoping for some honest feedback/opinions/criticism from you guys/gals on here.

Times Square NY (I loe the vivid, almost cartoonish appearance of this photo and it was actually a friend that mentioned it. Previously i hadn't paid much attention to it but now it's one of my favorite pictures. No photoshopping applied)

Central Park (I took these Central Park picture and applied the B&W effect with the intention of placing these together in a photo frame to place in the house. I've yet to get round to it.)

NY Skyscrapers

A walk in the park (One day last summer with the missus and dog. Some blur and sharpening applied)

I'm really interested to hear what people make of the picture below. I like the lines of the picture but maybe thats just me?

Time (I had the missus blowing on these things for abit standing in a park to get a half decent picture)

Apolgies to the mods if this is in the wrong section and thanks again to anyone who comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:07 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Magin85 - I can't believe it's been nearly 24 hours without a reply to your thread, but it has been quite quiet on here recently (either that, or I'm being snubbed as well!) :shock:

I've read that book too - it's excellent and makes you think, rather than just go snap happy.

As a hint, it may be easier to number your photos if you're posting more than 4 in a thread as it makes it easier to write back.

I'm liking the first 5 shots, but I'm not really digging the selective blur and focus in the 6th, or the sky colour in the 7th.

As for your bench shot, it seems to tick all the boxes in terms of the rule of thirds - horizon (or hedgeline) on the top third horizontal, focal point in the correct spot on the bottom left and lines leading to the corresponding spot on the bottom right. possibly cleaning up the foreground by cloning out some of the leaves will draw more focus on the main focal points of the image.

Keep posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:07 pm 

i really like number 7, i like the compsition.

the others for me, are just photos, nothing special, but not rubbish either.

I think the B&W ones are little dark?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 am 

Great shots!

Some of the B&W ones seem a tad bit underexposed, but nice shots. I do like the composition of the 3rd though, and the bridge in the 2nd looks like a classic country scene.

I also like the composition of the beach one, there's just something about it that really catches my eye. But, I can't go without saying that it looks a tad bit underexposed.

The bench one is kind of interesting, simple yet attractive.

I have some mixed thoughts of the 7th. Curves (Curved lines) can be VERY attractive and interesting in a photograph, especially when combined with the rule of thirds, and I think you really almost nailed it. My only complaints would be that you don't show enough of the curve, perhaps you could've shown the end of the path, and it also seems a tad bit overexposed.

The 6th is interesting, but there isn't enough blur IMHO. Although, it does have a certain interesting appeal to it. I once took a shot like it, and I really liked. Perhaps I liked mine because it was a bit more blurred, and it had some glare from the sun coming in, which gave it a cool effect. It is a cool idea though!

The dandelion one is suburb, I love how it's being blown in the shot. Although a faster shutter speed could've been used to reduce some blur, perhaps some people like the blurring or perhaps you were going for that effect. Any way, it's a nice shot!

The skyscraper one is kind of cool, it almost looks like you made it HDR (Which I really like!).

The Times Square one is decent, although perhaps you should've taken it from a lower angle, just to make the building look taller and bigger.

The 9th I kind of like, whatever plant that is looks like something that you'd find in Africa! Perhaps you could've made more of the plant in focus?

All in all, nice shots! Remember that even though the camera says that it's properly exposed, take it again if it doesn't look right. You're smarter than the camera, and since this is the digital age, you can retake anything the moment after you take it if you don't like the first. I hope that my opinion was helpful! Keep the pics coming! You've also inspired me to travel to NYC! :D

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 am 
Nice shots.

The best composition for me is the walk in the park shot (missus and the dog). This would have been even better if you captured the whole shadow of the missus.
BTW, some PP can take out those distracting power lines in the background. Overall, it's a well composed shot. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 am 

the bench one interested me, is this better with the left and top cropped?
I also like the first one, would love to be there and have a go

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:15 pm 

It has a neat effect with the cropping, especially along the side. Although, I'd need to see them both side by side to make some real comments.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams