Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:26 pm 
Hi everyone

Sorry to "steal" Daniel's thread, but it just reminded me of this...

Me and a friend have planned to drive a Land Rover around Africa in just under three years time, once we have left school. We will be starting in Pletternberg Bay near Cape Town, travelling up into Botswana, through Zambia and so on anti-clockwise around the coast(ish) until we make it back to Cape Town again.

Now the big question is, how much to spend on photographic equipment? Will I be sponsered or hired to take photos for any magazines? Is this a good idea? What kind of photos to take? Any places you can reccomend?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:30 am 
Site Admin

Well there's some people from SA here, so I'll leave this to them! But I have visited Zambia and it was a really good place - some much quieter, less touristy parks and of course Victoria Falls on the border.

Some of the environments out there can be tough on your gear though, so if you're doing an adventurous trip, I'd consider a camera with environmental sealing - and also bear in mind you may be without mains power for some portions too.

As for an assignment, do you know any mags who'd sponsor you? I haven't come across anything like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:06 pm 
Hi Gordon thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was trying to think of some magazines; somehow I think National Geographic is a bit out of my league at the moment! :D But seriously, yeah I was thinking about taking the equivalent of Nikon's D300 that they have in a few years. I might need to take a secondary camera though incase something happens to the first.

I am especially looking forward to seeing Zambia for the reasons you mentioned, and South Africa aswell because it will help me decide whether I want to go to university there.

Thanks again,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:23 pm 

In three years time you'll most likely get by with the latest mobile phone, lol.

Hope not though.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head