Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 am 

So I will be in malaysia and thailand in mis-october

I have a budget of about 2000$ USD and I would like to take it easy going north.

Start in Kuala lumpur and go to Bangkok stoping a bit everywhere.

I would like to focus more on Malaysia since there are less tourists. I heard Langkawi is nice and also the Perhentian Islands.

Any recomandations on where to go, what to see, where to stay (in KL esp)

Also I would like to visit a rice field for some reason :)

cheers guys

portfolio/blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:52 am 

There are still plenty of tourists in Malaysia but October strikes a nice balance for not too hot/too rainy/too many tourist/too expensive. Langkawi is nicer than Penang, but the east coast trumps them both. You should also try to spend some time in the Campbell Mountains.

I can't remember where I stayed in Malaysia. A few years ago I stayed in a 4 or 5* tourist hotel there for buttons (maybe $50 or so), and maybe 10 years ago I stayed in guest houses in various SE Asian countries for $2/night.

So, $2000. How long does that need to last and are you backpacking or do you have more money than time?

btw, a travel buddy in Thailand was warned by his camera thief about thieves 3 times - before, during, and even after he stole his camera. I personally think he deserved his loot. Be careful with your kit.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:04 am 

hey KimChi

(damn I miss korean food, I am stuck in the country side in New Zealand).

Anyways... back to the topic, thank you very much for your information. I will check out campbell mountains for sure. :)

Actually I have a 2000$ for as long as it can last. 2 month or 3 months we will see how it goes. I just have to be back in Montreal for xmas. (I have extra funds for the ticket back home)

Yeah as for my electronics I shipped all my lenses home and I am trying to sell my computer before I leave. I will only have a sony a200 and the kits lens. Thats all I will have with a backpack, of course.

Thank you very much for your information,

One last thing, If I have the choice between the east cost or langkawi which one should I take?

Kamsamhamnida

Cheers
A

portfolio/blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 am 

I traveled up the west coast of Malaysia a few years ago and I have to admit I was a little disapointed by the lack of the visually stunning coastline I saw in photos before I went. Most of that is apparently along the east coast, although I think poisonous jellyfish prevent swimming in the ocean for much of the summer, you might be OK in October.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:18 am 

I have never been to Malaysia so can't help you there. As for Thailand there are plenty of photo opportunities especially if you are interested in street photography. Try the Chinese quarter in Bangkok as well as the usual tourist haunts like the Grand Royal Palace and the river markets. Forget Bangkok Zoo, it's small and the animals are not well housed or cared for.
There are elephant parks which are well worth a visit and tiger sanctuaries also.
As for photogenic scenery then you should try to get to Phi Phi Islands on your way to Bangkok and Khao Sok national park.
The old capital Ayutthaya has old buildings (ruins) if you like architectural photography.
Have a good trip and do be careful of your belongings. Most Thais are honest but the people are a lot poorer than in the west and expensive gear left on show in your room may be too great a temptation for some. I would buy a motorcycle chain and lock your suitcase with your gear inside it to some immovable piece of furniture.

I know a little about a lot, a lot about little and everything about nothing.