Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nine-Dragon Falls
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:04 am 
Today I'd like to take you on a journey to visit a section of the Nine-Dragon Waterfalls in Huangshan, China. Plunging 984ft from the 1st fall to the last, each waterfall drops into it's own "Dragon Pool" before cascading over to the next, which is why it's also known as "Nine-Dragon Pools".

Beginning at the base of the mountain, we begin our climb up some steps:

and some more steps:

It's quite steep in places and you have to be careful, but don't worry, there are plenty of clear signs written in both Chinese and Engl....Chinglish:

..more steps....aahhhh...finally the end is in sight....

...and we finally arrive to be rewarded with some views of the waterfalls and pools:

...as we descend....

...we say farewell to the beauty of Jiulongpu, the Nine-Dragon Falls...

I hope you enjoyed your trip. Next time, I'll be taking you to Huangshan, the Yellow Mountain. The most famous mountain in China and the one which Chinese people say all other mountains pale into insignificance against!

Don't forget to tip your tour gude :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:28 am 
Nice shots. I love the one w/the green pool in it. the water is so clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:50 am 
Thanks Mark..u can be a photo-journalist... make that photo-travelist .
Now that's out of the way. :-)
Are those water ..err... safe..looks kind of 'stale' in their dark yellow colours.
Did you count the steps by the way ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 am 
Beautiful shots ChinaMark! I enjoyed the English translation on the signs :lol: Some of your pictures (mostly waterfalls) have a HDR-like feel -- do you use bracket processing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:12 pm 
Fantastic shots Mark - the clarity of the water is amazing!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:45 am 
BrianS wrote:
Beautiful shots ChinaMark! I enjoyed the English translation on the signs :lol:

I liked the one about "Smoking".... so it would be alright for me to light up there then as long as I don't attract the smoke..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 am 
Thanks all!

David, yes, the water's fine. It's actually crystal clear. It's the color of the rock beneath it that makes it look so yellow. Actually the colors in the rock there are amazing...so many different shades in them.

Brian, the last one was bracketed and done in Photomatix because the foreground was so dark and the sun was going down and shining on the mountain through the trees behind. All the others are just single exposures.

I don't know what they were thinking about when they did the signs. You can even see that before they changed the smoking one, it originally said,"No smoking!" Someone obviously thought that was incorrect English and attracting smoke was a much better turn of phrase :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:26 pm 
Great shots and tour Mark!

I always enjoy reading signs like those, Malaysia is full of them.