Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:44 am 
During the Summer of 2008, myself and a very close friend will be "backpacking" throughout Europe. Seeing as how many of you are from Europe, and a large amount have traveled there, I am looking for any input on "must see" locations and so forth. Places that are fun, places that have great shots, really anything!

Also, keeping photography at the helm of this discussion, I plan on taking my Xti and am wondering as far as bag purposes go, what would be the best way to transport the camera safely, yet have it with me at all times for a quick shot. Advice from other backpackers here would be greatly appreciated because I might be searching for a bag that is not just a sole photography backpack, but maybe something that could serve dually as my backpack.

As for as lenses go, I currently own the 18-55mm kit lens and will soon own the 28-135 IS USM. Planning on just leaving the 28-135mm on the entire time, unless there are some better options for me that you guys might know about.

Anyways, thank you in advance for any input that is to be offered. Feel free to share personal accounts through Europe, or any helpful advice or words of caution. Cheers.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:20 am 
My wife really enjoyed Prague when she went traveling around Europe. As for a bag, you might want to take a look at Lowepro's Slingshot series. There's a link on the forum somewhere with some opinions on it.

[edit] Here they are...

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... =slingshot
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... =slingshot

I've got the Lowepro Slingshot AW 100 myself and plan on using it for my travels around the world next year too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:53 pm 

The first location I recommend you to visit is York (England). I visited the York Minster and it is really the most impressive building I've ever seen. Good for pictures as well.
Also the South-German castle Neuschwanstein is great, not only the castle, but the surroundings are also great to see.
I'll go to Finland in 121 days, on a schooltrip, and I have heard that it's nice too.

I don't have any experience with special photographybags, but I have heard that for 'backpackers' a Slingshot might be uncomfortable to wear. I know from my trips to England that wearing a bag like that, makes your shoulder hurt after some time, especially if you have quite some weight in there. I am going to buy the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW for my trip to Finland, maybe that's a good bag for you as well.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SoccerandDMB, you'll have a wonderful time in Europe - there's so much to see and such variety...

For tips, I'd definitely recommend checking our some of Eastern Europe as well as the usual Western Europe delights. I've travelled through Bulgaria and Slovenia, long with visiting cities like Prague, Tallinn and Budapest - all absolutely lovely places, and great additions to the traditional stalwarts of, say, London, Rome, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Amsterdam etc.

As Bjorn says, I'd also try and visit some non-capital cities in each country, or better still get into the countryside and see some rural sights.

As for safety, be aware that petty street theft is rife in many Euro cities, so keep hold of your camera and bags at all times - when you sit down, always keep your bags in sight and preferrably with one leg through a strap!

Sadly one of my favourite European cities is infamous for street theft - Barcelona. It's a fantastic place to visit, but be extra vigilent! I'd also beware of credit card theft - it's sadly quite common.

Post subject: Paris
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:22 pm 
I'd echo the comment about prague - excellent photo opportunities (+ cheap beer, great food:). My other favoutite would have to be Paris - it's a truly beautiful city and quite compact as well so it's easy to capture the sights.

If you do go to Paris a great way to get around is their bateau-bus. Basically a boat bus service that runs between all the most popular sights. Be sure to check out the eifel tower and the louvre.

As far as England goes, it really depends what you're into. London has some great sights and fun things to do but will prob be heaving with tourists most of the time.

Bath is very pretty (georgian city), and quite near a place I went a few years ago called Wookey (nothing to do with Star wars :). Wookey has the most spectacular caves and I'm itching to get back there with my 40D...

Have a great time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Wookey hole! I remember visiting there as a kid!

http://www.wookey.co.uk/

It's in Somerset, which also gives you a chance to head down to some of the UK's popular seaside holiday towns - there's some lovely coastlines...

For example, Durdle Door on Dorset's Jurassic Coast - see:

[img]http:///www.cameralabs.com/images/forumpics/Durdledoor.jpg[/img]

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:09 pm 
From western europe try Barcelona, Roma, Hamburg's Reeperbahn (nice place not only for pictures ;) ) Amsterdam, Vienna....

Being ariginally from Ukraine, I agree with Gordon, eastern europe is lovely! Prague, Budapest, Moscow(this one is VERY expesice though).

Depends of course if what would you really like to see - either coast and palms or architecture...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:10 pm 

I'm from Europe (Copenhagen, Denmark) and there's a lot of beatyful places, well worth seeing. Problem is that you're probably not gonna be able to see it all. What was you're plan? How long time are you gonna backpack? Where do you wanna start, and where do you wanna end? And what are you planning to see, city or nature? Or a little of each?

My first thought for you would be to start in norther/mid Norway and then go south through Sweden, across the bridge from Malmø to Copenhagen and then on through Germany, France, Spain and maybe end up in Portugal or so. If you have that much time that is :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:45 pm 

There are so many nice places to see. You should indicate what you like most, so we can advise you better.

Some very special places:
- Portofino in Italy;
- Venice and Siena in Italy;
- Epidaurus and Delphi in Greece;
- Santorini in Greece;
- Stockholm;
- Delft in the Netherlands;
- Zermatt in Switzerland or if you want less crowded, take La Fouly or Pontresina;
- Salzburg in Austria.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:10 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Wookey hole! I remember visiting there as a kid!

http://www.wookey.co.uk/

It's in Somerset, which also gives you a chance to head down to some of the UK's popular seaside holiday towns - there's some lovely coastlines...

For example, Durdle Door on Dorset's Jurassic Coast - see:

[img]http:///www.cameralabs.com/images/forumpics/Durdledoor.jpg[/img]

Gordon

Yep and then to Clovelly which is just below Somerset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clovelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:16 am 
Sorry for replying to this 'old' subject, but I had to add the following:

I did not find Belgium mentioned in this topic!
Although I'm maybe a bit biased :) I think it's worth a visit.

I especially recommend Bruges.
Sometimes called the Venice of the north.

The link will lead you to a website I just googled to illustrate my point:
http://www.pbase.com/francist/bruges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Bruges is a fantastic place! And I'm also fond of Brussels, especially the art deco, comic street art, mussels and beer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 am 
How about Edinburgh, the capital city of Scotland? Both the Old Town and New Town are UNESCO World Heritage Sites and the place is steeped in history. It's amazing architecture and stonework gives it one of it's nicknames: "Athens of the North". And then you could visit the highlands, especially the Cairngorms National Park, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park and places such as Loch Ness and Cape Wrath. You could also visit the Outer Hebrides, with places such as Lewis, Uist and St. Kilda (another World Heritage Site). You could also visit the very interesting island of Staffa and while you're there, take a trip on a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) to the Corryvreckan, a large whirlpool. On the trip you see amazing wildlife and strange natural phenomena caused by the tide. There are also thousands of ancient standing stones and stone circles throughout Scotland.

With so much history and scenery and so many things to do, you could spend a summer backpacking just in Scotland, and still have things left you want to do, but you'd probably get sick of the weather pretty quickly!

I also recommend southern Italy and Sicily as well as Slovenia and Austria. Norway is another place I would like to go, but I've never been so I can't really comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:24 pm 

Another vote for Bruges here, stunning place. Edinburgh too, obviously, but Glasgow has it's fair share of landmarks (and it's a lot friendlier than the Capital) - you might even meet some Scots in Glasgow, lol.

I'd give a vote for Orkney. If you do make it ot Scotland then it's well worth the trip. Loads to see and do there. Also, anywhere in Wester Ross, Gairloch, Ullapool et al are beautiful and the mountains are fabulous!

On mainland Europe I'd suggest Spain. Most of the large cities have gorgeous buildings but Toledo in particular is breathtaking.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:03 pm 
Nothing like backpaking through Europe, i ddi it with my brother last summer great stuff we took the train tho. What transport are you going to use?

Well i didnt have my Nikon back then, but it sure would ahve placed really good in my hicking backpack its about the size of my back, and has a lill "top" cabinet so to speak which is about the size of d40x!

Places to check out if your going by train:

Spain:
-Sevilla
-Cadiz
-Granada
-Madrid
-Barcelona
-Biblbao

France:
-All those lovly towns by the ocean
-You have to check out the champagne region its beatiful!

England (even thos its a big side track from rest of europe)
We didnt go here, me and my brother focused more on the "main part" of the EU :)

Holland:
-Amsterdam
-Rottendam

Belgium:
-Brussels (its just lovley if you ask me)

Germany:
-Berlin (i think most of the german cities look alike but Berlin covers most of them ;)

Denmark:
-Copenhagen

Sweden:
-Stockholm
-Gothemburg t
where i live there sint anything to se really

Hungary:
-Budapest been there servral times can give u some tips if you want

CZ:
-Prague, an amazing city been there twice

Poland:
-Krakov

Italy:
-Rome
-Sicily

I mean those where the places that we whent to, but of course stopping along the way and checking out some smaller placeses

But if you specifly need any tips on Madrid/Granada/Budapest/Copenhagen i will more then glad to share them with ou as i m very familiar with those places!