Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 7D Film Lens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 am 
I am doing a trip from Cairo to Capetown, and have a 7D. I want to use this camera mainly for filming (I am a complete novice) could anybody recommend a suitable lens that I should take. Now there is a catch I am doing the trip on a motorbike !. I would like to spend no more than $1500.
I do have another camera that I plan to take stills on. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Paul 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:58 am 
Are you going to film yourself driving?

If so then theres something called stop motion capturing. (If not then skip this section)
Its where you set your camera to take one shot every so seconds. Then you edit them into a video and voila.

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN6dmoXu ... mRo1rnOCLs

This one was shot by 1 frame per second and 1 frame every 10 seconds at night.

If not then try to for something with a fast aperture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:54 am 
That was a great clip. Amazing actually ! But maybe a little hard to film like that on a motorbike. Good concept tho.

Thanks
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm 

a lot of people who like to film stick to primes. Especially the 85mm 1.2 and the 50mm 1.2 are well-loved because of their low-light capabilities, but they are very expensive... Usually you won't want to be zooming while filming (it looks quite amateuristic), so primes are a good choice since they give more performance for a lower price. You have to figure out what kind of price/performance ratio suits you best to figure out whích prime(s) you want though. I'd take a look at a nice wide-angle prime too, that can be quite nice if filming while driving. (I'm imagining your camera bolted to the steering wheel with a gorillapod now, nice!)

good luck on whatever you choose, I think you can get some nice stuff for 1500 bucks.

[edit] since you're going from cairo to cape town, think about getting weither sealed lenses ;)

@ Jaemok: could you explain how to setup a camera (I have a 5D) to automatically take a picture every 10 minutes or so? Do you need a connection with a computer to do that?