Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm 
OK, for those familiar with Switzerland, it will be evident that the title of this topic was written in rumantsch. The following is the blog entry I posted on my website. If you would like to read it and see the corresponding pictures, click here.

If you want to experience impressive landscape, a visit to canton Grisons is a must. Grisons (in German, Graubünden) is the biggest canton in Switzerland, and is famous for being home of places like Davos (where the World Economic Forum is held every year) and St. Moritz (the beloved ski resort of the world’s super-rich). But far away from the fanfare of the jet-set, we came to a place knowns are Unterengadin, a valley in the Engadin that forms the border between Austria, Italy and Switzerland.

The valley of Unterengadin is a narrow one, served by the Inn river, which flows around powerful and steep mountains of the Swiss alps. Apart from it’s impressive landscapes, the Unterengadin is also famous because it is one of the few zones where Rumantsch is still fully alive. Rumantsch is a curious language, the fourth official language of the Swiss Confederation, and very similar to Spanish (it is more similar to Spanish than to German, definitively). I almost have to problem reading signs on the street, though understanding what people talk between themselves is impossible. Rumantsch is actually conformed by five different dialects, and is spoke by just 1% of the Swiss population.

Link to the blog entry