Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 am 
In Venice I tried to make some pictures of the tourists rather than just the tourist attractions. Venice is so beautiful and varied that anyone can make beautiful shots, especially in the deserted streets of Canneregio and Castello or between the colourful houses of Burano. San Marco squire however was a photographic disaster for me personally. I felt quite uninspired when I made this shots, unable to portray the A-spots such as the palazzo ducale (the doge's palace) in any original way. My shots were probably the same as any other's. So I made shots of the tourists themselves. I am quite pleased with this first shot, but please let me know what you think.

Inner courtyard of the palazzo ducale

Inside the bridge of sighs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm 
I really like the first one... It's very original.
Unluckily you found palazzo ducale in restoration with those ugly bills if I see well in the second picture...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 pm 
Thanks for the compliment! Yes ... you are right about the restoration. Later that day I tried to make a picture of the bridge of sighs and this was the result: ugly bills everywhere and hardly any bridge in sight. Moreover, there is nasty bit of reflection on those bills.

You also couldn't go outside on the 'balcony', so there was hardly if no view over the Canale Grande. Earlier that summer The Karls's bridge in Prague was being restored, the castle of Bratislava and the national parliament in Budapest. A bit of bad luck, but it did bother me that much though. I had great weather (though a bit hot) in Venice and most other places! I am always lucky in that respect, even in Ireland or Scotland. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:40 pm 
This picture illustrates one of the reasons why I want to buy a DSLR. I wanted to make these blue boats blurry by using a long shutter time. I had seen multiple of these pictures and wanted to recreate them. At 8am it was too light however plus I learned that my diaphragm does not go smaller than f/8. I probably should have got there by sunrise.

Everyone always talked about the maximum of the diaphragm opening, not that many people discuss the minimum. Still, I am happy that I reached San Marco before the tourists did. Only my and 3 other people were at the squire. A half hour later the place was flooded. unfortunately the basilica did not open until 10am.

Some more pictures of things my camera can handle perfectly:

Near the Giardini Publici: overlooking Lido di Venezia

Colourful Burano.

Family portrait.