Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:36 am 
I'm actually off on holiday in Scotland in a couple of weeks. Very much looking forward to it. Knowing my luck the weather will be outstanding!!

Typical Englishman; never pleased! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:29 pm 

It can't be any worse than it's already been this summer. Where are you going anyway? Need any tips?

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:49 pm 
We're headed to Banff, (on coast, north-west of Aberdeen). I'd certainly appreciate any tips on good places to visit (photography or otherwise) that are nearby. We've got hire cars so should be pretty mobile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:58 pm 

Banff is a strange choice for a holiday. We stayed there one night a couple of years ago and had a really good night on the town. Photographically Banff doesn't really offer much but there's certainly a lot to see in the area. To the east there's Pennan. This village became famous as one of the sets in the movie Local Hero. The setting is fabulous. It's so close down to the sea that even bad weather makes this a must-see. Maybe even more so. Further east there's always Peterhead. This is the largest fishing port in the UK so if boats are your thing then head there. It's a working town though, so remember that.

West of Banff you have more options. Portsoy is another must-see. It's like stepping back in time. Elgin and Nairn are both relatively large towns with attractive town centres and not far from the sea, especially Nairn. The highlight of the area for me is Findhorn. I could quite happily retire there. On a good day weather-wise it's like being on the Med.

Of the town's inland my choice would be Huntly. A lovely place with a nice feeling about it. Of course, are you a drinker? Remember this is Whisky country. There are more distilleries than I can name here and they all offer tours (usually with free samples).

Here's a good link to the attractions of the area. In fact it covers Scotland as a whole and is always the first site I recommend to people.

Beware of the accent. You may have serious trouble understanding what's being said as a whole lot of people still have the beautiful (imo) Doric accent. You have been warned. If anyone calls you a "loon" resist the temptation to swing at them. It just means "boy".

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/u ... shire.html

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Nairn is actually my Father's home town, so watch out for any Laings!

If you're heading further West, Ullapool can be quite fun...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:01 am 
zorro wrote:
Banff is a strange choice for a holiday.

Hehe, strange in a good or a bad way? It was picked because some friends have been there before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:28 pm 

TelexStar wrote:
zorro wrote:
Banff is a strange choice for a holiday.

Hehe, strange in a good or a bad way? It was picked because some friends have been there before.

Earlier I suggested a visit to Pennan. You might want to give it a miss this time around.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 932809.stm

I really really really need to move to Spain :cry:

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:31 pm 
Err, thanks for the heads up. I'm getting prepared for a "rainy" british summer holiday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 pm 

Come a lot further south down to Fife!! Lochore Medows Country Park - which i live like 10m away from lol! - The Forth Rail Bridge - Local ASBO collectors - lots and lots of fields - and thats about it lol!

My Cousin lives in Elgin! Still never been up there to see him yet :P

But yeah have a good time mate :P Drink plenty Irn Bru though :D

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:32 am 
Site Admin

As Daniel says, the Forth Rail (and Road) bridges are spectacular and great photo ops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:11 am 
Thanks for the tips guys. They're all a bit too far for the day trip out of Banff it seems but I'm sure I'll find something to take a picture of. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:10 pm 

Depending on where in the Badlands you're coming from you'll be crossing the Forth road bridge.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:22 pm 
We're flying. It's cheaper and quicker! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:42 pm 

Good move. Can't say I blame you.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:56 am 
A great week all in all. The weather held out pretty well considering what the rest of the country was like. I took loads, mostly of our friends that we went with (and my baby nephew) but these are some of my personal favourites.

Image Image Image Image
These were from Gardentown. One of the many small fishing villages just outside of where we were staying. It seemed very run down but I think that's just "the style". :) I don't know why but I personally really like the oil drum. (the former is a crop of the latter)

Image Image
A trip to Scotland is not complete without a visit to a distillery. These two were from the Glendronach Distillery in I can't remember where. Great whisky! I passed on the £229 bottle and opted to buy a standard 12 year old single malt instead. Mmmm.

One of the very few landscapes I took due to the sky being a horrible dingy gray for 95% of the time (a lame excuse? Probably. :D). This was in Cullen. It was pretty windy and I was neurotic about sand getting in the camera.

Comments welcome!