Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:44 pm 

The Bristol Balloon Fiesta 2009.

1. Image 2. Image

3. Image 4. Image

5. Image 6. Image

7. Image 8. Image

9. Image 10. Image

11. Image 12. Image

13. Image 14. Image

15. Image 16. Image

17. Image 18. Image

19. Image

Thanks for looking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 pm 

Nice shots, I love the fireworks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:05 pm 

Some really great shots you have taken Phil, i would love to have been there myself...maybe next year. I love the photos of the balloons best especially no. 15 and i bet that it was a really amazing sight. Well done on the shots and thanks for showing them. sue :)

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 am 

Great shots....really like #17

Cheers.......

C&C always welcome
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 am 

Thanks all for the kind comments. I'm quite pleased with myself as to how they have turned out. I think if I had just got my DSLR and not spent the many months using it, then these shots would not have been as great.

Sue, The Balloon Fiesta is fantastic for a free day out. Ok, technically not free as you have to pay £7 for your parking for the day, but entry is free and the events they put on are spectacular. Seeing all the balloons lift off is imense, you lookup and there's just a horde of balloons floating in the sky. They do two launches in the day, one at 6am and one at 6pm. The Day I went was the best weather wise and they managed to launch upto 96 balloons into the sky!!!

I love how my firework shots have come out too - payed dividends to take my tripod with me!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:45 pm 

I love your photos they are fab.

I'm going to a balloon festival at the end of the month, and hopefully i will get some nice shots too. I'm new to slr photography so i'm wondering if you could help me?

What settings etc did you use for the night time balloon and firework shots?

Shell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:03 pm 

Shelly, Thanks for the comments.

Balloon Fiestas are great fun, which one are you going too?

I mainly used my camera in Aperture Priority setting during the day. Then, when at night time, I turned to Shutter Priority. For Fireworks you don't want anything longer than 2 seconds providing that you are clear of light pollution. Same again for the Night Glow, think I switched between 1.5 seconds and 2 seconds for that. You will definately need a tripod for these shots

Nothing worse than ruining a shot because you moved.

Speaking of motion - if you are catching a night glow event, then inevitably you will get a lot of motion blur on the balloons which is to be expected. I think I took about 20 pictures within 30 minutes and had 2 decent shots. So expect to waste some pictures.

Also, not sure on what camera equipment you had, but my largest focal length was 210mm which was adequate for me, so make sure you do take a reasonable length with you.

And finally, have fun! Don't ruin your day from looking through the lens too much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:14 pm 

Great shots!!!

Victor

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:44 pm 

PhilDiggle wrote:
Shelly, Thanks for the comments.

Balloon Fiestas are great fun, which one are you going too?

I mainly used my camera in Aperture Priority setting during the day. Then, when at night time, I turned to Shutter Priority. For Fireworks you don't want anything longer than 2 seconds providing that you are clear of light pollution. Same again for the Night Glow, think I switched between 1.5 seconds and 2 seconds for that. You will definately need a tripod for these shots

Nothing worse than ruining a shot because you moved.

Speaking of motion - if you are catching a night glow event, then inevitably you will get a lot of motion blur on the balloons which is to be expected. I think I took about 20 pictures within 30 minutes and had 2 decent shots. So expect to waste some pictures.

Also, not sure on what camera equipment you had, but my largest focal length was 210mm which was adequate for me, so make sure you do take a reasonable length with you.

And finally, have fun! Don't ruin your day from looking through the lens too much!

Thanks for replying :)

I'm going to this, The Big Balloon it's in blackwood in gwent, south wales. I only live about 10 minutes away from where its being held so worth popping over really http://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/bigballoon ... /index.htm

Thanks for the tips on timing etc, I have a canon zoom lens 80mm - 200mm and the basic kit lens 18-55mm that came with the camera.

Shell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:05 pm 

Ah right, not heard of that one - but unfortunately I'll be back in Manchester then, so a bit of trek to that one!

Just replied to your thread in DSLR Tips section with a few more technical details of my shots.

Hope they work for you - and don't forget t show us your results!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:57 pm 

It made me say "WOW"...... 8) 8)

- Panasonic FZ28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:23 pm 

Excellent set of photos & all of it are very superb. Photo #10,11 & 17 are my Fav. As for #10 I would prefer to crop out the blue sky focusing colorful smoke & the jets alone for better standout photo.

Well Done! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 pm 

Thanks again for the comments!

I checked my flickr account a day or so ago to find a message from a guide publication saying they had shortlisted one of my photos to go in their guide's next issue! They'll only print a small version of it, if I won, but was happy to share none-the-less!

Photo in question was this one:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:54 pm 

I liked 15. the most, It's a pitty about the hands :)
But one more thing, how did you do the focusing on those fireworks?

Joren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm 

Joren wrote:
I liked 15. the most, It's a pitty about the hands :)
But one more thing, how did you do the focusing on those fireworks?

Joren

Yeah, was a shame about the hand, unfortunately couldn't really get any higher since where I was resting was a bit hilly.

Focusing on the fireworks is relatively easy, just needed to set the lens on manual focus and focused at infinity