Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:33 am 
Hello everybody,

I'm new at this forum, but I visit the site on a regular basis, I'll be coming for a 4 months trip to NZ in November and of course will be visiting Queenstown.
I do have one question, I'm currently using a canon 450d (thank you Gordon for the reviews, I'm really happy with it) with its kit lens, a 55-250 IS and a 50mm f/1.8.
My question is, can anyone recommend a good lens for this kind of trip. I belive most of it will consist a lot of the great walks in the north and south islands, which of course is why I'm thinking about buying a compact, maybe a G10 (I'm afraid my DSLR will be too difficult to carry during those walks) but am afraid to regret it. Could someone help me?

Thank you all and have a great week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:43 am 

Hi Shai,

Welcome back. I think it'd be a real shame not to have your DSLR along with you so may I suggest something like the Topload Zoom AW?
I use the Topload Zoom 2 (slightly smaller and not "All Weather") slung from my belt which gives great access to the camera without being in the way while walking. Obviously you'd also need space in your backpack for extra lenses and accessories.

A number of our members are based in NZ and so will be able to offer better advice than I can but, delighted though I am with my G10, my memories of Fiordland suggest that the G10 might struggle a bit if you plan to use it much in the dark conditions under the forest canopy.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Shai, when it coems to lenses, it's important to tell us how - if at all - you're finding your current selection restrictive. They may be absolutely fine for you.

There's some nice big landscape views here though, so unless you have a tripod and are happy doing panoramic shots, then you might want to invest in an ultra-wide zoom. The Canon EF-S 10-22mm isn't cheap, but it's excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 pm 
Hello,
thank you for posting so fast, and thank you Gordon for this site, it really helped me deciding which DSLR to buy at the time and I love my camera.

As for lenses, my big problem is weight (travelling with a backpack which will weigh more than half my weight), so if I decide to take my DSLR it will be with only one lens, I was thinking of buying either a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or the canon 17-85mm (although I've read the canon is problematic), the canon 10-22mm is too restrictive for me and is very pricey here, but I will be happy to consider any suggestions.

Than there's always the compact solution, if I just buy a g10 so that I can travel light, I understand that as long as I don't use the higher ISO's and stay on 80 or 100 it's a pretty good camera especially for landscapes (is it?), than there's the lumix LX3 with it's wide angle, but it costs twice the price of the tamron lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:39 am 

Hello Shai
I would just bring the kit lens, can't see any point in buying lenses or a new camera especially for the trip. Leave the heavy artillery at home.
Also you are likely very familiar with your Canon SLR, and learning to use the G10 is likely to be a hassle, which could result in a few missed masterpieces.
Gordon's right, it's landscape country here, that's why I suggest the kit lens will be used the most.