Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:44 am 
Updated pics on Page 2 . Please leave any comment , it is my first editing process. Thanks.

A month ago I have created this account to ask about a digital camera. I actually ended up getting a D90 with a some good advice I have got from a few members on this site.

I have purchased a D90 about 2 weeks ago - 18-105 - Sigma 10-20 - Polarizer filter.

I have very basic knowledge on photography as I was 100% clueless about DSLR few weeks ago.

These are my first photography shots. Not the greatest , but after lot of quick research on this site and help , here is what I have come back with from my 10 day trip to Mexico.

No Tripod was used except for the night shots. Really difficult and tiring trip , I twisted my leg very badly and was limping for 6 nights and the heat also just killed me =(

Please any comments are welcome good or bad . Anything I could have improved would help alot. This I really need to know as these are my very first shots.

I have used only the in-camera settings in some pics for some slight modification.

Image[/b]
________
Lamborghini LM004 history

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:33 am 
You took some great pictures man. Next time please size them a bit smaller when posting.

The first few are great but a tad underexposed. This is probably because you were using your polarizing filter for these shots. Check out Gordons tutorial on using polarizing filters here: http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_to_use_polarizing_filters/reduce_haze_deep_blue_sky.shtml

The underexposure can be simply corrected in a photo editing program such as photoshop, gimp or almost any other. I hope you dont mind but I took these two images and bumped up the brightness and contrast a bit and resized them. It makes a big difference.

Your composition is pretty good. Your night shots turned out very well. I did really like your black and white shot as well.

The picture with the parrot is a prime example of something that I do constantly and kick myself for. The focus point is on the tree and not the parot. I've screwed up so many shots by letting the camera do the work..lol . This can simply be avoided by selecting a different Auto focus mode. Im not sure how the D90 is set up but on my pentax there are three modes. Auto, Select, and Center. I prefer to use select so I can set the Focal point. Or you can also flip your camera to manual focus and do it yourself.

Other then that, I really think for your first shots on your first DSLR you did an excellent job and I cant wait to see more of your work. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:05 am 
Well you may be beginning but you have a good eye for composition, good job! Really fascinating shots. Just be careful with your horizon (the sea shots) as the images are tilted to either the right or the left.

Keep it up, you'll be coming up with even better stuff in no time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 pm 
Whoa! :shock: I agree with everyone here the composition are fabulous & great shot! :D just give a minor PP at Lightroom to straighten the Horizon ( The sea Pictures ) & if you know to apply HDR that would be great as long you don't overcook it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:45 pm 
Thanks guys , while on the trip I was wondering what the feedback I would get . I wanted to know if I am doing this right , what mistakes I might be making.

I am so glad I came across this site which turned me into a photography dude instead of a compact kiddo . ( no offence ) =)

might be funny but I seriously dont know what composition is or HDR. I did see HDR pics but know nothing about it or how it works. Most pics I seen are overdone and it becomes a turn off. A small - med touch is fine , extreme is murdering a nice shot.

My laptop is so old and slow I cannot add any photo programs so I cannot do much editing at moment , I really want to size them to make them a bit smaller , they are so much in size . I tried making the pics smaller on windows paint but it seems the pic turns out weird and loses its detail.

I apoligize for the large pics . I am seriously looking into this . Anyone know of a small photo program I can resize without losing detail? I cannot even email these pics as they are large in size.

I now need to learn about whitebalance,exposure. I actually like darker shots, darker landscape shots , but I guess it they are too dark they lose detail and exposure.

I did not look into the whole auto,select,center mode stuff before taking pics , therefore the parrot sadly came out blurred. I actually like that pic even more now , seems to me like a great example. I understand this now. I need to start using the focus settings now.

btw slick3358 no prob , isnt that pic a little too small though ? I wonder why posts are made with such small pics , even on flickr . Any reason why?

About the whole horizon shots , I see it too now and understand it . I now need to do a bit more research on it for future shots. I need to use the grid settings too now which I was not using much I think that will help.

btw thanks to you all ... I am a part of you all now here to stay.

btw I do have one which is slightly improved.
( no editing done )

________
roor bong pictures

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 am 

Looking good Goldengloves.
A good/small starter photo program is Faststone (free download)
You can do a few adjustments,cropping,and resizing and it's pretty user friendly.
Google it and play with it,if ya don't like it...dump it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:45 am 
Yes I did have the size a bit smaller then they usually are. The reason people post smaller pictures is because it eats up the bandwith on the Camera labs servers. Another reason is for faster download time. If someone had dial up it would take a long time to get all those pictures to show up... lol..

You are on the right path golden. I would reccomend upgrading your computer when you are in the right position to do so. Trust me when I say that computer software can be your best friend. :)

Keep up the great work. Cant wait to see more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:58 am 
nice shots man, although they are a bit too soft for my taste

they have good composition though! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am 
yeah good shots but the white balance is all over the place..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:27 am 
Adon wrote:
yeah good shots but the white balance is all over the place..

+1 to that, although that may be your intention.

And, in some shots, a shallower DOF would have helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:00 am 
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

read up, check out the rest of that site killer tutorials about everything... photographical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 am 
Adon wrote:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

read up, check out the rest of that site killer tutorials about everything... photographical.

just what I needed. Thanks. I am at work and am printing it out at the moment.

I am thinking the polarizer filter had a little something to do with the white balance issue, just a bit . I will try finding a program to fix the white balance .. if there is one.
________
free joomla themes

Last edited by goldengloves on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am 
Great shots. There are some very nice compositions there.

goldengloves wrote:
I will try finding a program to fix the white balance .. if there is one.

If you shot in NEF/RAW format instead of jpeg you can try ViewNX. That's Nikon's own software and you can download it for free (I think it should be on the CD that came with the camera as well). I used it at first and simply downloaded 30 day trial software in order to see what software I would want to buy.

You might also have a 60 day trial version of Capture NX2 with the camera (I got that with my D80). Other software you can try for 30 days; Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 (very good software and not too expensive when you want to buy it), Adobe Lightroom 2 (RAW/NEF software) and photoshop CS4 (pro software).

Just those combined (there are more) will give you five months of free use of software. A great way to learn and see what you prefer to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:29 pm 
What the hell are doing back here?! You don't need any advice! :-)
Have to run, just wanted to tell you that I love those shots! But that is one seriously ugly rabbit on shots #6 and #7... :wink:

Great work!!!
Cheers
Bruno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:19 pm 
Thanks BrunoA , I will be purchasing a new laptop soon so I can edit these pics. I need a laptop anyway , I think its time.

Time to burn money 8)
________
Yamaha RT1