Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:36 pm 

Hello, I have a question for anyone that is familiar with New Zealand. Are there any good camera stores in Wellington or Queenstown you can recommend? I mean good prices/selection.

I am headed over to NZ in a few days, and want to get a tripod while I was there. Originally I was going to buy a tripod here in the US and bring it but I am running out of time, so instead I have come up with a complicated plan. :idea: :wink:

Because I have baggage and itinerary limitations, I don't want to lug around a tripod while in the North Island (only there for a few days). But starting in Wellington/Picton I will have a rental car where I can store said tripod. So my plan was to buy a tripod/ballhead in one of these two places so I can take some nice panoramas in the South Island. Also, I am hoping to take advantage of the strength of the US dollar against the NZ dollar. :sorry: Also I figure I can help out the NZ economy while I'm at it.

If anyone is wondering, I will have a gorillapod SLR zoom throughout the entire trip and would like to purchase a Manfrotto 190XPROB and the 488TC2 ballhead. In the US I am seeing prices of $130 and $99, respectively.

Usually I would just buy online but I am literally leaving for NZ in two days.

Thanks in advance for your help! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi gingertea, as you may know, I'm based in Queenstown, so I'll ask for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Queenstown Cameras say they do sell Manfrotto, but I'm not sure if they have those specific products in stock - fire off an email to prints@queenstowncameras.com for the attention of Denver or Ken and they can help you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 pm 

Wow, thanks for your help! I wasn't expecting THE Gordon Laing from the videos to respond. :shock: :D

I will be sure to send these folks an email.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome! Be aware though this is a relatively small country with a small population, so you won't find the choice (in stock anyway) that you're used to in the US. Any item can be ordered, but if you're hoping to walk in and buy it, you may be disappointed.

So since it's mission critical (!) you should pre-oorder the item, or perhaps head to a larger pro store. Wellington must have some since it's the creative capital of NZ, but I'm not that familiar with it. I can tell you progear in Auckland should have what you want though, but again drop them a line.

3 Railway Street, Newmarket I PO Box 37 054, Auckland 1151, New Zealand
P +64 9 529 5055 I 0800 4 PROGEAR I F +64 9 529 0331
E sales@progear.co.nz

Of course I hope QT's shops can help, but if they can't, try the above...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 am 

Thanks Gordon! I emailed QT Cameras and they did have the items in stock. I actually ended up buying the tripod in Chicago today, though, because the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to have the tripod for the whole trip instead of only Queenstown. QT is the last stop on our itinerary.

QT Cameras was very helpful, though. I emailed back telling them I ended up buying it already.