Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 pm 

Hi all!

I'm thinking (just thinking at the moment) of doing a mammoth round the world trip starting next September and finishing in June/July of 2010. At the moment I have (as my banner suggests), a D40 with 3 lenses. I'm wondering whether I should buy the D90 and 18-105 VR / 18-200 VR before I go or not!

Points to consider for me are...

1. Losing/breaking! If I don't buy it, I know that even if something (god forbid) happens to my D40 I was planning on replacing it anyway

2. Zoom Capability- one of the main reasons for a new lens in convenience, replacing the 18-55 / 55-200 VR combo. But do I actually need that convenience? I mean how many truly great shots can be taken in the 55-200mm range?? I've always liked this range but the 18-55 range should be enough, even for portraits, except in special situations.

3. Buying a Sigma WA Lens instead.

Ok I'm basically just talking to myself here, but if you have anything to add/advice to give (especially for number 2) let me know!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 pm 
Hi Steve,

I've just come back from an 8 month trip around Asia, Astralasia and South America and took with me a D80, 18-200mm and 50mm 1.8. The 50mm hardly saw any action (I wasn't surprised with that to be honest), while the 18-200mm was indispensable. In my opinion, you'd be wise to take something covering the 18-200mm range with you.

If I was planning for the same trip again, I would have liked to have taken the 18-200mm and an ultra wide angle of some description, leaving the 50mm at home. Taking more than two lenses with you is a significant weight consideration so you want to make sure you are covering all your bases with two lenses, or one if possible. 18-55 is just too limiting for the various situations/scenes you'll want to be photographing.

Consider how comfortable you'll be doing a 3+ day trek somewhere, carrying all your clothes, toiletries *AND* camera + gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:54 pm 

Thats a fair point Telexstar. In your opinion, how would the 18-105 VR compare with the 18-200 VR? How crucial was the 105-200 area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 pm 

Hi Steve,

with my 18-200 the range around 120-180mm got seldom used. If I need it long it's almost always to the 200mm limit. But you can answer that Q for yourself: How often do you use the range above 100mm?
And you should get the D90. That would be a significant upgrade for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 pm 
If I look at just the numbers; 1220 of 5400 photos were taken at 105mm and over. 593 of which were taken at 200mm. That may seem like not very many but there are lots of photos in that lot that I would count as among my favourites of the entire trip.

If people photography is your thing, then having something with some range will be very very useful. Unless you don't mind being one of those tourists that has no problem sticking their camera in peoples faces. :)

Personally, even if I had only taken 5 photos at 200mm that I was pleased with, I would still have been glad to have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:15 am 
I would invest in a body with some weatherproofing, or at the least a better build than the D40 such as a D200.

I have the Nikkor 18-200 VR, and it is a great lens im finding, I only take it off of my camera for macro shots, where I use my sigma 105 f/2.8

If I were going on a trek, I would want a weatherproofed body, or one with a good build quality, along with a 18-200 to cover wide-angle to telephoto. If you have alot of disposable income, which I do not, then I would suggest buying a D200, and a Nikon 18-200 VR. If you want to save some cash, or just don't want a $1500 of photography equipment to get damaged, then I recommend getting a third party version of the 18-200, just so that if something were to happen to it, it wouldn't be a $600 loss.

There is my two cents.

EDIT: And if you are traveling around the world, you will see alot of varied wild-life, and the 200mm reach of the 18-200 would be extremely helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:32 am 

Telexstar, thats all very true. My dilemma is that if I buy a D90 AND 18-200, a) it costs a lot and b) i'll be worried about safety for the whole trip! If anything I think I'll buy the 18-105 or 18-200 for my existing D40. I take ur point about one lens covering the whole range being very useful.

I guess its all a question of finances in the end, and in order of priority I think I should get

a) 18-200mm to replace 2 lenses
b) D90
c) Sigma 10-22mm

I'll see how much cash I have to spend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:07 am 
Safety was a BIG concern before I left but I discovered that the world isn't as dangerously homicidal as some people make out. So long as you take sensible precautions, your gear should be reasonably safe. Ironically, I was more likely to be robbed by fellow travelers sharing dorm accommodation, than by any local I ever met.

Post subject: A note on camera bags
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:24 am 
Obviously, you'll want to consider how you'll carry your gear - Even tho companies like lowepro and tamrac make sick bags, they are also larger targets... Maybe get some generic looking backpack or something and add some padding yourself... or carry a small camera bag inside a larger standard backpack... Hmmm... there are just as many bag choices as there are camera lens combinations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 am 
On a recent two week trip around China I took my Tamrac backpack and my D40 with nearly all my lenses. I found I mainly used the 18-135 (I didn't have the 18-200 then.) The 50mm 1.8f was used occasionally also the 55-200mm. If I had the 18-200 then I think that would have been the only lens I needed. I left the Tamrac with all the gear locked inside my suitcase in the hotel room and the suitcase was chained and padlocked to the radiator or some immovable furniture when I left the hotel. I only took my camera and a couple of lenses in a small shoulder bag on my daily outings.
Just a tip, make sure your gear is insured! Your holiday insurance may cover it but check and if necessary take out special insurance covering your photographic equipment.

http://s409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/Dave16_photos/