Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:45 am 
Hello there,
I'm gonna be traveling overseas around the holiday and I just don't know how to handle my beauties at the X ray machines, or whatever you call them this days. I currently have a Canon XSI as well as a brand new D50, and a few lenses. My concern is what you all recommend as far as the checkpoint at the local Airport and foreign customs. I mean, should I go ahead and let them run my cameras through the X ray machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:25 am 
burgavo1 wrote:
Hello there,
I'm gonna be traveling overseas around the holiday and I just don't know how to handle my beauties at the X ray machines, or whatever you call them this days. I currently have a Canon XSI as well as a brand new D50, and a few lenses. My concern is what you all recommend as far as the checkpoint at the local Airport and foreign customs. I mean, should I go ahead and let them run my cameras through the X ray machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you could ask them to hand-check the bag if you want, but I really don't know, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 am 

hi burgavo1, i took my new camera and lens away for the first time, and i never gave this a thought. My only concern was keeping everything together ,by that i mean the battery charger and plug, because the thought of losing anything filled me with horrors. I kept everything crammed in the camera bag and took it on as hand luggage. When going through the machines everything had to go through even your coats we couldnt carry anything. They give you a tray to put your all your gear on , but i just mentioned to the man pushing it under the machine that it contained my beloved camera.
Good luck and enjoy your holiday.happy snapping. :)

sue

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:43 pm 
I've been through many airport security checks with my cameras and lenses, and there is nothing to worry about from the X-ray scanners. They will not harm your camera. If they don't harm laptop computers, they won't harm your camera equipment.

It used to be that the scanners would expose high ISO speed film, like 1600 or higher. But that's not a concern with digital, of course.

My advice is to put everythign in a well-padded bag and carry it onto the plane with you, storing it under the seat in front of you (not the overhead compartment). If you put it in checked luggage, it will either be missing or broken when you get to your destination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:55 am 
Hi there,
I have just returned from my first trip overseas entering and leaving no less then five different airports,I never once had a problem at any of them.
As I was carrying my Sony DSLR 750, 5 different lenses,and assorted batteries,chargers, lens cleaning equipment and such, I was quiet paranoid about the safety of it all. I overcome this by packing it all into my camera travel bag and then placing the bag into a carry-on sized luggage bag on wheels. As I'm only 5'2" and my travel bag is way to heavy for me to carry, I found the carry-on an ideal solution. I just let the people at the x-ray machine know that the carry-on held my camera equipment and they were all very careful not to be to rough with it. Also the airport employees were quick to reassure me that the scanning equipment would in no way effect my camera.
Well, I'm now home and sorting through the 4,500 odd photographs I took while holidaying. I've also used my camera since returning to do a photo shoot of an electrical storm we had in my home town recently and my camera performed as great as usual.
So don't worry about the scanners, or the airport staff. And have a Terrific holiday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 am 
I travel way to much and I've only ever had one problem when I left all my gear in the pelican case and the customs officer got a tad shirty about it.
After asking me to open the case he then proceeded to grab the camera and that was a huge mistake on both our parts :oops:
What I do with the camera gear now is empty my pelican case at the xray machine and put all parts into one of those wonderful tubs, that way only I touch the equipment and all is safe.

The xray machine wont hurt your digital camera, but the customs ppl can. If they need to rerun it through remember you have the right to tell them you will carry it back around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:46 pm 

Don't worry about the xray machines, I never had a problem.
Put your camera in your hand luggage though. Sometimes I use a camera bag and sometimes I just put it in my rucksack with something soft around it.

Hans