Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:08 am 

I'm going to london from 21st - 23rd Decemeber, 2 days before christmas!

I'm taking my camera, has anyone got any good places i could go to get some great shots? The camera and lens i've got is in my sig.

Thanks!

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 am 

It probably doesn't need said, but Piccadilly Circus is always beautiful this time of year. Also the Ice Skate rink in the moat at the Tower of London. I would also recommend Covent Garden is always a busy bustling area with street performers. Camdentown is the hippie area that always provides something interesting to photograph. I can't wait to see your photos.

Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:33 pm 

The London Eye, there are also street performers along the walkway there, also Big Ben, Parliament and the Bridge, all in one place, you also have the Thames of course. I love London, so happy shooting Neil. Also i know this is said for all major cities, but especially at this time of year, BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS. Sue :)

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:58 pm 
Awww, darnit, I'd love to go to London, but I can't bring my gun. Instead of a wallet they may get a fist full of Glock. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 pm 
If you're anywhere near Vauxhall Cross, you may wish to photograph the SIS (a.k.a. MI6) headquaters there, for an unusual photo (it is now legal to photograph it) as the building is quite distinctive. The best place would be from the nearby bridge.

Just a suggestion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:45 pm 

Buckingham Palace
ImageImageImage
National Gallery, London Eye, Tower Bridge
ImageImageImage
Houses of Parliament

Add to that the Tower of London, St Pauls, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Soho, National History museum, Science museum, National Gallery (Van Gogh's sunflowers....I'm sure I could have done better ;-) ... need I say more

enjoy

mirageII

Canon EOS 30/33 and Pentax MX/ME Super

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:22 pm 
These are all great. However you could try some of the less "touristy" places such as:

Battersea power station though it tends to be covered in scaffolding lots at the moment.
Image.

Borough Market

Hampstead Heath

Greenwich Park & Cutty Sark

Thames Barrier

St James's Park

The Gherkin

Canary Wharf

Temple Church - 12th-century church of Da Vinci code fame!

Routemaster buses - if you can find one

Hampton Court Palace & maze

Richmond Park

Regent's Park & London Zoo are good though I couldn't find any decent pics.

Also, take a look at:

http://www.photograph-london.com/

and

http://photo.net/uk/london

Hope that helps! Enjoy your time in this great city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
Cutty sark could be a problem - it's still being repaired isn't it? I don't think there's much left to see at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:59 pm 
You may be right. I didn't notice the Cutty Sark website saying that there wasn't much to see - but I didn't look very carefully.

Greenwich is a nice place anyway and there's plenty to see even if the CS isn't there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm 
Whenever I'm in London I always end up taking pictures of people instead of tourist sites.

You see the most diverse and interesting kinds of people along the Thames tourist routes. Buildings on the other hand you can look up on Flickr from a million different angles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:16 pm 
Greenwich is just down the road from me and it is indeed a nice place to go. Some interesting shots to be taken in the market for sure.

And you're right, the Cutty Sark can't be seen at the moment - unless you want to stick your camera through a tiny hole in the perimeter fencing!! :D

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:01 am 
calmac1991 wrote:
If you're anywhere near Vauxhall Cross, you may wish to photograph the SIS (a.k.a. MI6) headquaters there, for an unusual photo (it is now legal to photograph it) as the building is quite distinctive. The best place would be from the nearby bridge.

Just a suggestion!

That's interesting. Stated with your tongue in your cheek, perhaps?

If true, contrast that with the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square. Surrounded by concrete barriers and armed guards with automatic weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:06 am 
[quote="Rimsky"]These are all great. However you could try some of the less "touristy" places such as:

Excellent suggestions and great pics. Brings back memories of my favourite places to visit 40 years ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:20 pm 
Every day at 11AM there is the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace. British guards march into the courtyard of the palace and arch back out. i think there is also a band.

this is a great place to get some good shots. Even though its a daily event its very popular and lots of people turn up. mirageii has some images of this above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:59 pm 
tobywuk wrote:
Every day at 11AM there is the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace. British guards march into the courtyard of the palace and arch back out. i think there is also a band.

this is a great place to get some good shots. Even though its a daily event its very popular and lots of people turn up. mirageii has some images of this above.

That's a great idea. I didn't think of that. Definitely worth going to see!

Last time I was outside the SIS headquarters (a few years ago), there were no armed guards (although they do have high perimeter fences) and taking photos wasn't a problem, but that was before the July 7th bombings in London, so security might be tighter now. The building was attacked by the IRA once. You might be interested to know that the government lifted the ban on photographing the building for the James Bond film (can't remember which one) which featured it, so now anyone can take photos of it if they want.