Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cruise to Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:25 am 
Here are some of my photos from a recent cruise to Alaska. I am still sorting thorugh my photos to post some of the better ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronstew

Let me know what you think, and any suggestions on what I can do in photoshop or other tips to improve my photos.

One thing I ran into was cloudy overcast days, and snow. I had some photos of show that seemed either overexposed or had little detail. I also had many photos look blurry or grainy when I viewed them as full size. Most of the photos were shot using the landscape setting on my camera. I am still getting used to digital photography and that might account for some of my issues.

I used a Canon Rebel XT. Thanks for all of your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:43 am 
Site Admin

You've got some nice shots there - and it's a trip I'm very envious about!

One thing stands out in the second shot - dust on your sensor. That's what's responsible for those dark patches in the sky - see this workshop on how to remove it:

http://www.cameralabs.com/workshops/dsl ... age3.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:51 am 
Thanks Gordon. I did nottice those spots, I thought they were spots on my lense. In the article it mentions its easy to remove those spots from the photo, any easy tips? It was a great trip...I will add a few more photos tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:29 am 
Site Admin

It's easy to retouch these kind of marks out from plain backgrounds like blue skies using things like Photoshop's clone or rubber stamp tool. Most photo retouching programs have something similar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:01 pm 
Thanks Gordon, I will look online for tutorials. I have found a bunch of photoshop tutorials ad deviantart.com, but dont really know what I would need to do to my photos to make them just a little bit better.

I have added a few more photos to my site at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronstew/

I will have to plan another trip or outing somewhere next month to play with my new camer some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:16 am 

Those are some excellent pictures mate. Like Gordon, I too am a jealous cat. Funnily enough there was an item on the TV news just now about passengers on a cruise ship being hit by ice falling from a glacier in Alaska. You got a lucky escape, lol.

No offence but it's quite reassuring to see a camera with anti-dust features having problems with dust. It's easy to remove though, a matter of moments in most editors. If you need any help give us a shout.

Congratulations on the pictures.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:29 pm 

My fav, Stewmander, is IMG_0811.
See my comments there...
Unfortunately you didn't upload larger versions! Esp. the bumble-bee is hard to see :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:14 pm 
zorro wrote:

No offence but it's quite reassuring to see a camera with anti-dust features having problems with dust. It's easy to remove though, a matter of moments in most editors. If you need any help give us a shout.
Zorro 8)

Zorro sorry to have to put you right, but if the camera in question in the post is right a Rebel XT which is a 350D here.... this camera does not have anti-dust as standard this only came about on the Rebel XTi 400D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:17 pm 

Damn it! :oops:

I stand corrected. :)

Nikon For The World! :lol:

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:47 pm 
I head about ice falling on some British tourists in Norway, and before our cruise there was a story about a smaller cruise ship built to look like an old river steam boat that sunk...haha so a little rain and clouds is not so bad =P

Haha yeah, I am a bit surprised that there was some dust since this was the first time using my camera and I canged lenses maybe twice the whole time. The photos I uploaded are resized by flickr...I chose not to let people download my photos, or else you would be able to see a larger version of the photos.

I am a bit new to flickr, do most of the people on this forum use flickr? I would like to add people as friends on the site, then make the photos available for download to friends. Send me an invite through flickr or on this forum. Tombomba2 I added you as a contact.

Yes, IMG_0811 is one of my favorites as well...I like the color and lighting in it, I wish some of my other photos came out as well that had a bit more interesting subjects, haha.

Thanks for all the feed back! I cant wait to take more photos and upload them once I get more bandwidth from flickr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:40 pm 

Hi Stewmander!

Yes I think lots of people put their pics on flickr, which is also above #30 ranking on the WWW at the moment.
The only nag being that you have to sign-up and pay a pro-account if you want to place more than a restricted number of pics at a restrict3ed resolution at flickr.
but you get widespread reach and the possibillity to get feedback from a huge community. So you know where you stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:11 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
Hi Stewmander!

Yes I think lots of people put their pics on flickr, which is also above #30 ranking on the WWW at the moment.
The only nag being that you have to sign-up and pay a pro-account if you want to place more than a restricted number of pics at a restrict3ed resolution at flickr.
but you get widespread reach and the possibillity to get feedback from a huge community. So you know where you stand.

It is possible to have too much feedback.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:43 pm 

But only if you are "zorro", the "dark master of hdr", and all the people out there come and feel the shock and awe that your pics inspire :wink:

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:15 pm 
Yeah I know flickr has a large community, so far its sufficient for what I need, except the 3 floder limit, suckies =[ maybe Ill upgrade as I get more photos I want to upload.

I thought about trying HDR, but decided not to since you have to shoot in RAW right? I would like to play around with it since the results are amazing. It seems to work best for landscapes, is this the case? Also, you can create HDR in photoshop, which I have, but my version is outdated, I think its photoshop 6. Would I need a new photo editing software for HDR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:23 pm 

There are people donig it with PhotoShop, some (like me) use Photomatix, as it'S easy to use (=automatic).
You could also HDR jpeg-files, just shoot +-2EV, and combine them. What certainly is not optimal, is to HDR a single jpeg-file as there is not enough headroom in 8Bit data. But then not even HDRing a single RAW-file is optimal, as noise is too much amplified.
As to the optimal scene for HDR, you must have read my post on HDR-flowers here. Well, flowers don't cut it. And as you browse through many HDRed photos you'll see that indeed landscape seems the predominant subject