Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC

Is Pentax K20D the best enthusiast SLR?
Yes 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
No 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
Yes, for now 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:36 am 
With meteting problems aside, is Pentax K20D the best enthusiast SLR out there? 14 MP, 18-250mm reach in one lens with sensor stabilization, decent ISO performance, and great handling?

Or perhaps the the big boys (Nikon, Canon, Sony) are biding their time to release their own enthusiast dream cameras?

K20D is definitely king for a day, but is Pentax here to stay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:04 am 
Hi Artem,

I guess we all value different features and quality from a camera and I would disagree that the Pentax 20D is the best camera at its price point. As Gordon has mentioned in his excellent review, the features are a bit poor for the money you have to give away. It's just personal preference but I think the best enthusiast/semi-pro on the market today is the EOS 40D. It gives you excellent quality and features (which trump the Pentax 20D in many areas) and because the price is almost the same - I'd have the 40D any day.

Of course, if I had a lot more money I'd go for the D300 - the ultimate cropped sensor body at the moment, but it's kind of difficult to compare to the Pentax 20D because it's at a completely different price point.

Mark

Last edited by Markh on Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:05 am 
Personally I think the D300 and 40D are the top two semi pro DSLR's.
The live view option on the K20D is pretty basic, both the D300 and 40D have megnesium bodies, faster FPS burst shooting. The D300 also features a much higher res screen. I know both the 40D and D300 are more expensive, but imho, those two models are what I consider to be the best semi pro DSLRs at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:47 am 

Maybe, but I keep my K10D...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 am 
Its a great camera but is priced dangerously close to the 40d which, in my opinion, is superior. I also think the D300, E-3 and A700 are better but those are priced quite a bit higher so aren't really fair comparisons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:57 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
The live view option on the K20D is pretty basic

I have to agree with that, honestly the live view option on the K20D looks really crappy for a "higher" end DSLR so to speak. Its as if they tossed in there to say "yeah it has live view"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 am 
I'd say probably the best ethusiast dslr there is now, however that's just my opinion.

Not attacking Canon, I just think it's pretty lame that a semi-pro dslr like the 40D is not completely weathersealed when compare to a supposably 'lower end' K20D. The 40D is also heavier than K20D though not a lot (822g vs 800g) however this defeats the purpose of having magnesium alloy body..

edit: But since their features suggest they are targeting at different group of photographers, they wouldn't be directly comparable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 am 

I can't speak to the K20D but even if the 40D were completely weather-sealed, which it isn't, most lenses aren't. Even the Canon "L" lenses that boast weather-sealing typically need a lens filter to complete the process. Anyway, although I'm reasonably weather-sealed I still prefer not to get wet so my camera doesn't either. Much nicer to stay in the warm and plan the next photograph. I admit it, I'm a wimp! :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:31 pm 
Yea, but you have to admit that Pentax beat everyone to the market with 14 MP, some weather sealed lenses, and a complete 16-200 f/2.8 lens set for a reasonable price. You can't get the same (for the price) from any of the big boys.
I shoot Nikon, and I feel threatened by Pentax leading the way - it may become the enthusiast choice in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm 

Artem,

The K10D was aggressive on both specs and price. I remember the sub-1000 US$ price-tag with a basic lens which was just astonishing... and I eventually bought one :)

The K20D is aggressive on specs mostly. But the 1200 US$ could quickly lower down.

The DA* DSM lenses are just amazing. So Pentax is becoming a very serious contender, which obviously deserves greater coverage. Congratulations to Camera Labs to issue a full-review. Other major digital camera sites haven't reviewed the K20D and others haven't issued such in-depth review as Camera Labs.

Now, the dual-partnership with Samsung and Hoya gives Pentax everything it needs to succeed :!: So wait for the K30D :wink:

Best regards from France,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:06 pm 
Pentax K20D with 16-50 and 50-135 f/2.8 would be around $2700
Nikon D80/D300 with 17-55 and 70-200 f/2.8 would be $5000-$6000
Canon 40D with 17-55 and 70-200 f/2.8 would be $3700 or so.

It's funny that you mention that you are from France, because my impression is that Pentax really aims at markets outside America and Asia. Pentax is incredibly inexpensive weather-sealed system if you take into account the lenses. If only it went to 200mm!!!

Please note that Canon seems to be a pretty decent competitor here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:36 pm 
Image Quality, ease of use and functionality, backward compatibility, and some beautiful lenses swing me towards the K20D above all others in this bracket. And yes I have used one. :)

Last edited by lbam on Thu May 22, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:38 pm 
Why is there a "yes", and a "yes for now" option in the poll?... should there be a "no for now" also? lol.

What I'm really saying is... any vote is "for now", isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:00 pm 
I don´t know, I think that really the avantage or improve will be in the future.

I don´t see to Pentax very strong and I think that Samsung is mark the step and continue being there.

Excuse my english.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:50 pm 
The k20D is a great camera,but doesn't offer many upgrades from the k10D. Some would say it's a camera of compromises. The Live-View seems useless,the FPS rate is the same,AF as well,body still made of plastic. Still,I like this camera & anybody can achieve excellent results from using it.
I like the Pentax brand for quality & all their struggle to play with the "big boys". :)