Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 pm 

Also on the above images at high ISO settings although canon has less (canon has always been great at that) but once you use something like noise ninja you can pretty much clean up Fujis ISO 1600 i just didn't know how to get rid of those colored dots i think they are called chroma or something, but it did make a big improvement, i also wanted to say on my 450D you can't make what color my wall is or curtains are, but on the fuji you can see what color they are, also i bet that the high ISO shots on this fuji can come close to other dslr's that i have seen. Image

Canon 5D II, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 2.8 L, EF 100 2.8 L IS Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, Canon S90, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 302 AW, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X3.

http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 pm 
Have to say to giga
(no offence intended)
that some of THE UGLIEST things one is capable(and beyond capable) of experiencing
are seen by the EYES AND felt by the HEART...
Such is the Human Condition.
Back to the here and now,
I must say having photos posted then deleted
is a NEW way...I quite like it(!)
... as it stops hours upon hours
of pixel commentary by some obsessed people...!
Otto

Post subject: The S100FS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:52 am 
Back to the Topic,
This FUJI camera is one I really would like to
have very much (not just because I have always liked Fuji products.)...
even though I don't actually need it as I have other cameras.
As a one-camera-does-all,
there are not many out there like this one.
The Provia/Velvia modes are especially attractive
as the film days are still very much in memory... and the "Digital-Velvia" option on the F100FS is very hard to drive past.
Full marks to Fuji for trying.
Also, some of the pictures from D.Lloyd
(a well-adjusted S100FS user) from here and there on the web,
and others are really convincing to me...
However, I will hold off untill the Mk II version because
by then, the bugs in the area of CA plus other aspects of fine-tuning
would make the camera even more likeable
as an all-rounder-travel camera.
Otto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 pm 
Howdy, I'm new to the forum, but been lurking on cameralabs site for about a year now. Pleased to meet you all!

After having a s100fs for a week now and running several hundred images through it, I can say that it meets all my criteria for a solid quality all in one alternative to a full blown DSLR with lenses. I agree with Ctien that this camera has the ability to output images, especially on print that can rival a DSLR, like a D200 with the 18-200 lens. My tests confirm that up to 400 iso, there is virtually no difference in detail, noise or color btw them that is worthy of issue. Very saleable images are available through this camera. I have had most of the Canon G series models and this camera trumps them all with out any trouble. Also gives my DSLR a run in most light conditions.

It is very well thought out. I love the lens hood and the hole for filter use - bravo! the battery could be bigger, but it seems to run through about 200-250 images with plenty of chimping. The fact that I can change the batter while on my tripod is nice, some cameras don't work so well. I would love an IR version of this camera like the IS-1!

There are a few issues though, the CA for one is the most glaring, but it is correctable in LR or CS3/4. The EVF, though of high quality is a little small, like APS-C camera's of older Olympus that remind me of looking through a tunnel. Focus can be frustrating, particularly in low light or low contrast. Several buttons are not in optimal places for use, IE EV correction, ISO and some features could, should not be burried in menus, but have a dedicated button or ideally and dial. Again, if one is to nitpick, that is really it for me.

The camera is nice in weight and size, well balanced and relatively easy to use. I really like the zoom and focus dials, well damped, but easy to turn and no zoom creep. The lens range is great for 95% of all my work. The images respond VERY WELL to my workflow and particularly to sharpening without nasty artifacts, which was the biggest surprise for me in this arena. The noise behavior is very film like and not at all a distraction up to about 400-800iso.

I am still learnign to use the camera. It has quirks, no camera doesn't, but all in all this is a fine camera and worth every penny I paid - $625.00USD.

A quick short list of wishes for a new model or update: bigger/higher resolution lcd that articulates like Canon or Olympus, reduce the lens CA and distortion, add a fully operative TTL flash hotshoe, a better manual focus system, and finally replace several of the buttons with a multimode dial (for instance - iso, metering mode, & focus mode on one dial; existing dial with dynamic range and film modes added).

Post subject: S100FS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:11 pm 
Nice one Mal...
as I might have said, I'll wait till the MK II version of this camera before putting it into my bag(s)...
By then, some of the issues you mentioned might have
got the fine-tune treatment...
I don't quite endorse the sentiment that it rivals the
D200 + 18-200VR, in anyway except perhaps in the area of "convenience" as a fixed
lens all-rounder. It is definitely I think, the camera to have,
if for example, if you wished to leave the D200 at home and go into
the jungles of Borneo with an alternative...(as I did recently)...
When travelling over several countries, as I tend to do,
the battery charging issue inevitably gets to be a real drag...
Fuji's own S6500/9600 series using AA's is a lot more convenient (I think)
as getting the batt charged with dozens of adaptor-shapes and sizes and pin configurations and voltages is a pain. I have 4 sets of NiMh
fully charged at the beginning of a trip(up to 7-8 weeks)
and if I run out, I just buy regular
AA's off the shelf from just about anywhere...this is for my E900
which so far has been brilliant. My D200 combo for eg, is too cumbersome(impossible) to take up to the top of Lake Louise
ski slopes for example and that's where the little E900 comes into it's own there...
The definitive "Travel" camera is a crown worthy of the effort I think and so far as I am aware, there isn't a Gold medal awarded as yet...
for my taste, it will be something like the S100FS, minus some of the
issues you and others have already mentioned...
Still, there are a LOT of people very happy with it and have
shown great stores of photos in forums and elsewhere...
Otto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:12 am 

malohnes wrote:
Howdy, I'm new to the forum, but been lurking on cameralabs site for about a year now. Pleased to meet you all!

After having a s100fs for a week now and running several hundred images through it, I can say that it meets all my criteria for a solid quality all in one alternative to a full blown DSLR with lenses. I agree with Ctien that this camera has the ability to output images, especially on print that can rival a DSLR, like a D200 with the 18-200 lens. My tests confirm that up to 400 iso, there is virtually no difference in detail, noise or color btw them that is worthy of issue. Very saleable images are available through this camera. I have had most of the Canon G series models and this camera trumps them all with out any trouble. Also gives my DSLR a run in most light conditions.

It is very well thought out. I love the lens hood and the hole for filter use - bravo! the battery could be bigger, but it seems to run through about 200-250 images with plenty of chimping. The fact that I can change the batter while on my tripod is nice, some cameras don't work so well. I would love an IR version of this camera like the IS-1!

There are a few issues though, the CA for one is the most glaring, but it is correctable in LR or CS3/4. The EVF, though of high quality is a little small, like APS-C camera's of older Olympus that remind me of looking through a tunnel. Focus can be frustrating, particularly in low light or low contrast. Several buttons are not in optimal places for use, IE EV correction, ISO and some features could, should not be burried in menus, but have a dedicated button or ideally and dial. Again, if one is to nitpick, that is really it for me.

The camera is nice in weight and size, well balanced and relatively easy to use. I really like the zoom and focus dials, well damped, but easy to turn and no zoom creep. The lens range is great for 95% of all my work. The images respond VERY WELL to my workflow and particularly to sharpening without nasty artifacts, which was the biggest surprise for me in this arena. The noise behavior is very film like and not at all a distraction up to about 400-800iso.

I am still learnign to use the camera. It has quirks, no camera doesn't, but all in all this is a fine camera and worth every penny I paid - $625.00USD.

A quick short list of wishes for a new model or update: bigger/higher resolution lcd that articulates like Canon or Olympus, reduce the lens CA and distortion, add a fully operative TTL flash hotshoe, a better manual focus system, and finally replace several of the buttons with a multimode dial (for instance - iso, metering mode, & focus mode on one dial; existing dial with dynamic range and film modes added).
I couldn't agree with you more;) i also have this camera and am very fond of it, about the PF though mine really doesn't show and only shows when i crop at 200% big deal.

Canon 5D II, EF 24-105 f4 L IS, EF 16-35 2.8 L, EF 100 2.8 L IS Macro, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, Canon S90, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 302 AW, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X3.

Post subject: Re: S100FS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:15 am 

otto uberswengen wrote:
Nice one Mal...
as I might have said, I'll wait till the MK II version of this camera before putting it into my bag(s)...
By then, some of the issues you mentioned might have
got the fine-tune treatment...
I don't quite endorse the sentiment that it rivals the
D200 + 18-200VR, in anyway except perhaps in the area of "convenience" as a fixed
lens all-rounder. It is definitely I think, the camera to have,
if for example, if you wished to leave the D200 at home and go into
the jungles of Borneo with an alternative...(as I did recently)...
When travelling over several countries, as I tend to do,
the battery charging issue inevitably gets to be a real drag...
Fuji's own S6500/9600 series using AA's is a lot more convenient (I think)
as getting the batt charged with dozens of adaptor-shapes and sizes and pin configurations and voltages is a pain. I have 4 sets of NiMh
fully charged at the beginning of a trip(up to 7-8 weeks)
and if I run out, I just buy regular
AA's off the shelf from just about anywhere...this is for my E900
which so far has been brilliant. My D200 combo for eg, is too cumbersome(impossible) to take up to the top of Lake Louise
ski slopes for example and that's where the little E900 comes into it's own there...
The definitive "Travel" camera is a crown worthy of the effort I think and so far as I am aware, there isn't a Gold medal awarded as yet...
for my taste, it will be something like the S100FS, minus some of the
issues you and others have already mentioned...
Still, there are a LOT of people very happy with it and have
shown great stores of photos in forums and elsewhere...
Otto
Ok a dslr is a dslr, but did you happen to see my comparison shots before i took them off, the fuji lens put my 17-85 and 70-300 IS to shame in most areas sharp sharp sharp, i am also getting sick and tired of buying lenses and have to send them to be calibrated, and as for battery performance on the fuji ok not so good but i bought a spare, they have come a long way with bridge cameras;)

Post subject: S100FS follow up
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:48 am 
I will buy the S100FS MK II
Otto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:38 pm 
Thinking about all the comments made here and elsewhere on the Net regarding bridge vs SLR's...

As an outdoorsy kind of fella, this is an ideal hiking/traveling camera. The lens has decent range, the camera is relatively light and compact and because it isn't an SLR, sand and dirt should not be an issue. But, the market isn't really interested in such a camera as we may be defining it, is it? We want our cake and to eat it too, but we know that ain't gonna happen.

The s100fs is weak in a few key areas: perhaps weather sealing, a weak battery and /or perhaps the wrong type of battery (IE AA sized rather than proprietary) being the most glaring to my way of thinking. Then there is the cost. I find this rather amusing. I can't think of anything that comes out out he market, be it electronic stuff, cars - you name it, that is not initially expensive and then the price slides down as time rolls by. The s100fs is a very modest $600usd, $200 less then when it came out 6 months ago. To get anything weather sealed, we're talking at least double that and then there is the issue of lenses, and none of those cameras take AA batteries. So, is the Fuji any less desirable...I think not.

Most people find SLR's too much camera for their needs. Others don't like the size weight issues. IT all boils down to the mix, the recipe if you will, of the pro's versus the cons. There always is a compromise somewhere. IF ultimate quality and resolution is your thing a bridge camera or any non-SLR is not gonna be in your sights. While the Fuji dows have some dings int he image quality, they aren't so bad when looking at a print ahnging on the wall. I can always find things to be critical of even with a D3 or 5D or other high end camera, but at what point are we mearly nitpicking???? Computers is a fine area to use as an example of that issue.

I bought my Fuji because the quality was at a point that bringing my big camera was not an issue anymore. Since I hike and am so active, carrying around all the gear didn't make sense to me. The Fuji gives me a nice mix of all the best features while minimizing the weak or bad issues.

If a MkII version comes out, it will be quite the camera. But, who is to say there will be another version? I too will be looking very earnestly to an upgraded version, but in the mean time I will be enjoying the images this camera is providing me.

Oh, before I go, I just found this out and wanted to share with you guys...I found a place that will do InfraRed conversion with this camera...Spenserscamera.com It costs $350 and there are a few options too. I spoke to Clarence and he is MOST helpful. I am gonna pick up another copy and convert it since I have dabbled but never wanted to submit any DSLR to the knife. This camera is the best for this option.

Cheers, Mark

Post subject: S100FS MK II
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:23 pm 
It is inevitable...and destined to be possibly THE TRAVEL camera
Gold Medalist.
Otto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:53 am 
Dear Grodon

S100fs seems one of the rare cameras with long zoom category (that too with manual focus adjust ring ) with 2/3 sensor. Most other cameras have ony 1/2.3 or 1/2.5 sensors and a few with 1/1/7 range. But the features and image quality of Panasonic FZ50 is also very promising as you stated in your report.

Many readers and I particularly would like to see a comparison test from you soon.

A planing buy another digicam and being not a professional in the field, I am in a dilema - Canon 450D / Nikon D60 or Panasonic FZ50 / Fuji s100fs

Can you help me here?

regards
suresh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Suresh, I'd love to test the S100fs, but Fuji don't seem in any hurry to send me one to review.

In the meantime, it's great to hear from owners of this camera.

PS - welcome on-board malohnes!

Post subject: Poor marketing from fuji
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:40 am 
Dear Gordon

Thank you for the prompt reply. One single thing I understand from your reply is that Fuji has one of the worst marketing & service setup. They may have some good technology but how can they expect any one to buy it if they seem to not care for the customers.

In India, Fuji is very rare to find and dealers simply refuse to stock/sell their products. Fuji is more interested in selling heavy equipments than consumer products. This is worrysome since if your camera breakesdown there is no way to repair it.

I had written to fuji sometime back about these matters and even offered to takeup marketing & distribution of cameras. But they did not care to reply. There is one All India distributor and he does not care to market it.

Though I would like to buy fuji s100fs for its quality? , I am more inclined towards canon or nikon since they are more reliable.

It is unfortunate that fuji is ignoring you. Any way I shall wait some more time

thanks a lot
regards
suresh

Post subject: Fuji Service
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:11 pm 
If Fuji Service sucks in your country, then there is no way you ought to go past the main players, C. and N.(CNN!)
Even if nothing goes wrong, cameras such as dslr's should be serviced once a year I think, unless you want to just drive them until they stop working(...and many people do!)
On the other hand, with regular annual service, you can maintain and keep the camera in top shape for many more years.
You would think in a VAST country like yours, this is a gold-mine opportunity to get involved with service and sales....
Otto

Post subject: A valid point
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:41 am 
Dear Otto

You have brought up a very valid point that Cameras (even DSLR's) need to be serviced once a year. Franckly I was not aware of this.

Could you possibly elaborate on that (if it wont be too much for you). Which part may need servicing etc and what could be the symptoms etc.

That should be highly educative as you have rightly pointed out that many people just go ( I for instance) on till the camera is dead. Most I believe is not aware of this.

regards
suresh