Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hi all, I recently brought two cameras that I know little about. I wanted to get a nice slr camera so I can take a few shots with film. I brought these two with very little info because the owner of them had passed away. So the things I know. I haven't got them in the mail yet so i'm only going off the photos and the little info I have found out. There were most likely brought from japan in the 60s and brought back to Australia. They have only had one owner from new and i'm guessing they have been looked after. They both have there original case and instruction booklet in Japanese. The only pages that I have found ok info on is here,
Konica Snap - http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Konica_Snap

Minolta Uniomat - http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Minolta_Uniomat

One is a Konica and has "snap"on the camera and booklet.I think it's from 1959 and it has it's own case with it's strap and a lens cap. I'm guessing that's rare because I have lost a few caps over the years. It has I think a 1.8 lens on it and that's pretty much all I know about it. There is also this little pouch on the strap and i'm not sure what goes in it.

The second is a Minolta uniomat. I think it's from 1960-1961 but not to sure. It has a rokkor lens but not quite sure what it is. I can't find much info on it but heard it's a nice little camera.

The both look to be in good condition and so does all the stuff that comes with it. I think it comes with a canon light meter and a expansion ring and some kind of filter with strange yellow fluff in a container but if any one knows what any of that stuff is please comment. I'm taking a bit of a risk because I have no idea if they work or if all the parts are there. But still keen to get them and hopefully take some photos. More photos of them.

If any one has any idea what these two cameras are and can share links ect it would be greatly appreciated. Also i'm wondering what the value of them and all the bits that come with it is so I can judge if I paid the right price or not. But basically any info will do.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm 

Hi guys. Does any one have one of these or has even seen one before ? I know one of them is a bit rare because I can't find a listing for one.

Also these should be here this week and when I get them I will post more info up. But when I get them should I clean them up or will that lower there value ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:24 pm 

From what I can tell, these appear to be simple rangefinder cameras; which predate SLRs.

They are probably fixed lenses, which means you will not be able to swap out lenses on them. Just a guess.
While some people do enjoy rangefinder cameras, and Leica M series of cameras are rangefinders, they are not for everyone.

Those two cameras are probably the point and shoot equivalent of their day.

If you want an inexpensive SLR to use film, you could probably find an old Canon FD mount or EF mount camera for sale. FD mount lenses do not work on an EOS cameras (EF mount).

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 pm 

A collector would probably enjoy these cameras more than the average photographer.
However, I have not used a rangefinder recently enough to know.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:15 am 

Thanks guys, Yeah they are both rangefinders. lol very new to me. I'm not planing to replace my DSLR with them but I think they would be cool to take a few photos with. They should be here this week some time.

Also that little thing with if the cameras is a canon light meter. I don't know the the model and I can't find any info on it but I think when I get it in the mail I might be able to find a model number ect.