Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax sold to Ricoh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:59 am 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/ ... G620110701

There you go Gordon ! You might get something to review again now ;)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm 

Hi Pete,

GREAT catch! 8)

Very interesting that they say "Hoya, which bought Pentax in 2007 mainly to gain access to its medical technology". That might explain a lot so let's hope Ricoh values the long and rich history of the Pentax brand, keeps the name going and starts to actively promote the Pentax DSLRs in the manner which they truly deserve.

Bob.

P.S. And I'll stick with B&W filters... :twisted:

Update: And here's the press release from Pentax:
    NOTICE OF SALE OF THE PENTAX IMAGING SYSTEMS BUSINESS

HOYA Corporation (“HOYA”) and Ricoh Company, Ltd. (“Ricoh”) hereby announce that pursuant
    to decisions by the President and CEO of HOYA and Representative Director of Ricoh, respectively,
    HOYA and Ricoh have executed an agreement as of today to transfer HOYA’s PENTAX Imaging
    Systems Business (the business of developing, manufacturing and selling optical instruments such as
    digital cameras and replacement lenses, digital camera accessories, security camera-related products,
    and binoculars) (the “PENTAX Imaging Systems Business”) to Ricoh. HOYA will effectuate this
    transfer by incorporating a new corporation (“NewCo”), cause NewCo to succeed the PENTAX
    Imaging Systems Business by way of a corporate split (kyushu bunkatsu) (the “Corporate Split”),
    and transfer all shares of NewCo to Ricoh (such split and transfer shall be referred to as the
    “Split/Transfer”) as of October 1, 2011 (Estimated).

Prior to the Split/Transfer, HOYA intends to transfer its interests in PENTAX VN CO., Ltd., an
    overseas subsidiary of HOYA in relation to the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business, to NewCo.

Please note, that since the Corporate Split is a simplified corporate split (kan-i kyushu bunkatsu),
    disclosure items/content have been partially abbreviated.

Further, HOYA will continue to develop its businesses assigned from PENTAX Corporation which
    was merged (kyushu gappei) into HOYA on March 31, 2008 other than the PENTAX Imaging
    Systems Business, such as its businesses regarding digital camera modules, DVD pickup lenses,
    endoscopes, artificial bones, and voice synthesis.

HOYA merged (kyushu gappei) with PENTAX Corporation on March 31, 2008, and has developed
    the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business assigned from PENTAX Corporation until now. As part
    of selecting and focusing its management resources, HOYA has decided to cause NewCo to succeed
    the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business via the Corporate Split, transfer the business and shares,
    etc. of HOYA’s Imaging Systems business subsidiary to NewCo via a business transfer and
    share/interests transfer, and thereafter, transfer all shares of NewCo to Ricoh.

Ricoh’s core business is office solutions focusing on MFPs, Ricoh has also introduced many cameras
    to the market since its inception in 1936. Ricoh was one of the first manufacturers to launch digital
    cameras in 1995 and Ricoh’s current high-end compact digital cameras are well regarded in the
    industry.

Now Ricoh aims to establish a consumer business. As a first step to achieve this goal, Ricoh
    strengthens its camera businesses. Ricoh takes it as an indispensable initiative to obtain the small and
    lightweight interchangeable lens camera technology, lens technology and sales channels held by the
    Pentax Imaging Systems Division to pave the way for further advancement and innovations in the
    digital camera market.

Through this acquisition, Ricoh plans to 1) enhance its digital camera businesses (especially the
    interchangeable lens camera market which is expected to grow), 2) create value-added businesses for
    taken photographs (creation and development of value-added services that encourage seeing, storing
    and refinishing photographs and utilize photographs as communication tools), and 3) expand to other
    fields (study of entry into the image archiving business using medium-format digital cameras and
    enhancement of security-related products)

Complete release information is available here: http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/late ... 001fwi.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 pm 

Apparently nobody cares...

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ricoy

* click on the 1 yr graph display

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:45 pm 

Good news for those of us who'd like to see the Pentax name continue. According to ZDNet:
    The Japanese company (Ricoh) says it will begin using the Pentax name on its own branded camera products
Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:50 pm 

"Ricoh said it also likes the security camera lens module business that comes with the Pentax acquisition.

Future plans include product line expansion (e.g. more interchangeable-lens cameras to meet growth), better consumer-facing processing software, an entry into the image archiving business and more security-related products."

I really wonder if the DSLR portion is just baggage for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:12 pm 

Well, it's not what they are saying and, for those of us a little longer in the tooth than we might care to admit, the Pentax name still has a considerable cachet from the SLR days. The BJP has its own analysis here where they also make some interesting speculative comments about the Pentax 645D medium format camera. They also raise some interesting questions about where the Pentax Q will fit in the Ricoh/Pentax portfolio.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm 

Pentax is officially dead...it's been passed arround like Voigtlander back in the days. Not anybody's fault that Pentax had only idiots in the development areas & market research. They tried everything! Colorful compacts & budget cameras,small compacts,the medium format camera 645D & lenses that nobody needs,because of their large apertures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:05 pm 

Hi Razvan,

That's a strong statement and if it had come from a new member to the forum I'd immediately be thinking "troll". But you aren't new and aren't a troll so would you care to share why you are so dismissive. I was unaware that the 645D was so poorly regarded or, for that matter, the current crop of DSLRs. What's your evidence please.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:57 pm 

oh no no,I love the 645D,in fact I would recommand it. But I was trying to point out that Pentax tried their luck in all directions & lost of money doing so. And you can't say the 645D project was cheap,development & manufacturing...this came in a time when Pentax dropped quite a lot, market share wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 pm 

Hi Razvan,

Sorry, I misunderstood the thrust of your post. :oops:

And I think we are on the same page. The reason I'm so pleased that Ricoh is going to be taking over the camera side of the business at Pentax is that commentators seem to believe that Ricoh have the R&D, financial and marketing resources to return Pentax to a position of more prominence. What will actually happen remains to be seen so I wish them luck.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:22 am 

Razvan said ...
But I was trying to point out that Pentax tried their luck in all directions & lost of money doing so.........this came in a time when Pentax dropped quite a lot, market share wise

I think you are making stuff up .

where the heck is the quote button in here ? :)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:29 am 

Bob,
Thanks for fleshing out the thread with the press releases and links :)
I think this is very good news.
Ricoh used the K mount in days of old.
I'm sure the Q will fit nicely with their innovative small cameras.
With their huge copying network we might even see Pentax in shops again :)
$125m was a bargain.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:20 pm 

well as far as I know,Pentax has continuously lost market share in the last years & the development of ambitious projects like the 645D seems a waste of money,since they didn't had a safe position on the market for any of their products.
my question would be...why the partnership with Hoya & Samsung failed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:11 pm 

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

For a system to be dead it needs to be out of production or have no loyal paying customers :shock:

As clearly according to the above, the Pentax system is dead, and as such I will do the honourable thing and accept all offcasts of those switching systems.

Anyone feeling that the Pentax system is dead and 'per se' worthless please post a message here stating when and where I can collect your '*' lenses for a nominal fee, of course due to the fact that the system is dead.

As such I feel that a blanket offer of £50 per DSLR and £10 per '*' lens will be adequate given the 'demise' of the system of course I will be swamped with posts/offers.

or alterntaivelty, I GUESS NOT :shock:

Rant over

Long live Pentax :D :D :D :D

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:29 pm 

2/3 of my life were pictured through a Pentax Honeywell H3 and a Pentax Auto-Takumar 55mm F/1.8 lens. I'm very sad to see the brand slowly dyeing like this. That camera thought me a lot, and gave me priceless memories of my life.