Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 am 
Hi guys,

I'm as good as settled, that I be going back to Pentax in the next few months!

At the moment I have a D200, which switched for me Samsung GX20 a year ago!

The only AF lens I have is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, which I will sell along with the D200. The Rest of my lenses are manual and will be used on the Pentax as well.

I have a friend which will most likely take the Nikon with the Tamron and give me 700€ for the package.

So, what camera should I go for?

K5 is out of my budget, so it comes down to K20D, Kx or K7.

I know what the K7 and K20D can do in High ISO (had the GX20) and I like it up to ISO 3200 and it gives me about 1 1/2 stop more flexibility compared to the D200! The Kx seems to be even better.

My biggest problem is that I really like the feel and size of the K20D, the burstrate and viewfinder of the K7 and the High ISO of the Kx.

I want to buy used to have some cash left for a 16-45 f4 and maybe a Tamron 70-300 DiII.

So what do you think, or better what would you do? How bad is the Kx in bad weather!

I went around Helgoland in heavy rain with the D200 and my manual 300mm Nikkor without hesitation! Would the Kx do this?

I'm so undecided...Gosh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:16 am 
honestly,my opinion is that you'll make a serious mistake buying a Pentax. you'll have a hard time finding decent lenses for your needs & the cameras are not really as good as the Nikons. (for many unbiased reasons)
I would upgrade to a D300s or a D700 if I were you. Much better cameras overall. Besides,you already have many Nikon lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:46 am 
If you can't afford the K-5 just save your money till you can. It's the best non Pro camera on the market right now. There are plenty of affordable Pentax lenses that are as good as Nikon or Canons, And you can't beat the unequaled Pentax Prime Limiteds.
Of coarse I'm a little biased. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 am 
I would have to be forced to agree with Razvan. Going back to Pentax now is only going to leave you stuck when you want to upgrade to a pro camera. I just think it would be foolish to invest now into Pentax.

If you are positively set on Pentax.. then in my opinion stay away from the K20D even though it is a great camera, it is quite old now. Stick with a K7 or the KX or just save up a few months later and get a K5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 am 

:( I think they're plenty of lenses...

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 am 
He already has Nikon lenses...& Pentax is not a huge upgrade body-wise. It's foolish to assume the K7 is a better camera than the D300(s) for example. Let's be honest & unbiased.
I know 3 Limited lenses that are superb in terms of optics & those are not really the best money-per-quality investment. So,why dream of something impractical financial-wise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:44 pm 
Razvan - If you include Pentax, Sigma and other third-party makers, there's quite a wide selection of lenses for Pentax bodies.

There's also every K-mount Film-SLR lens ever made - including some very nice optics primes at quite modest prices - that mount directly to current Pentax bodies.

And if the user likes using manual lenses - that opens up a huge range of M42 lenses - Takumar/Asahi-Pentax, Tamron, and others - at quite low prices, and the optics (check the huge lens database at Pentax forum) of best version selections can be very good indeed.

Also, whether new modern "automatic-everything" lenses, or semi-auto and manual K-mounts and M42s - every lens put on a Pentax body is stabilised by the in-body stabilisation.

While Canon and Nikon lenses are indeed extremely good - to get stabilising with Canon/Nikon, the more expensive lenses with stabilising made-into the lens have to be bought.

Yes, Pentax isn't "the same as" the more heavily advertised and popular brands - but sometimes, one's journey can be more interesting and educational - if taken by the road less travelled...

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm 

I agree with Razvan that switching to pentax is a big mistake (and I am a massive canon fanboy :D). You have already built up a Nikon kit and there is a bigger range of lenses with nikon. If you want an upgrade buy a d300 or d700.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 am 
Hi guys!

Thanks for the replies!

The main reason for me to switch back to Pentax is manual glas! I can mount PK, Nikkor and Olympus Lenses on a Pentax Body without the need for an Adapter and the M42 Adapter are very good!

I think I will look out for a K7 or try to save up for a K5 or I will just stay be Nikon and wish for some good D300 steals over on eBay! ;-)

Cheers,

Karhallarn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 am 
you can find some amazing D300 offers,trust me. & you can get it cheaper than a new K7. & adaptors are just as good for all brands,since they are not really complex mechanisms.

Quote:
Yes, Pentax isn't "the same as" the more heavily advertised and popular brands - but sometimes, one's journey can be more interesting and educational - if taken by the road less travelled...

there are a lot of reasons technical & quality wise why Canon & Nikon are "better" for the general market,photographers & amateurs alike. this is not about being popular. And about the stabilisation advantage you were talking about,care to make some direct comparissons with Nikon lenses,price-wise? (without including Sigma lenses)
Anyway,I'm not hating Pentax for their lack of development strategies & marketing,I just like to advice people for the best quality/price options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:14 am 

You can ask a bit more for the D200+Tamron 17-50... Then you got a bigger budget.
The D200 is sold in The Netherlands for around 500 euros, the Tamron 17-50 for around 250.
So maybe you can get 50 euros more for the kit. Maybe.

I dont understand why he shouldnt go Pentax guys, of course there're adapters for other cameras, but I shot a few days with an entry-level Pentax DSLR, and I can tell you they're much more fun than other entry-level DSLRs.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:04 pm 
Adapter on Nikon all have one big problem guys! They have glas elements to keep infinity focusing. I tried M42 and Minolta MD and they where ok for lenses of f2.8 ad slower but are crap for fast lenses.

On a Pentax body you can mount Nikkor and OM lenses without the need for an adapter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:17 pm 
Karhallarn - Which of the Tammy 70-210mms is yours? Is that Adaptall early or Adaptall-2?

I have the 80-210mm 03A version - slide, and CF Tele Macro, f/3.8-4. BBAR MC wiith mounted sliding hood, 58mm filters - Adaptall-2, in "unused" condition.

It came with the matching AFS Auto-Teleplus 2x TC - just screws on and locks - and that's then a std M42 screw mount. That was inside its little leather stud-button case, still with the sealed "greaseproof paper" looking original packing wrap on it - never used - from 1973.

Amazing what "treasures" you can find! Actually - was a gift from my landlord, thinking I was "interested in cameras - so here's some Pentax stuff you might find a use for". Apparently a graduation gift in 1973 he'd never been able to use.... Included an unused Spotmatic body, still in the crinkly-wrap, original-seal body-cap cover still on it, and the user-cap in an unopened plastic bag - and the model up from the f/2 "kit" 55mm of then - the Takumar / Asahi-Pentax SMC 55mm f/1.8. Which I'm told on P-Forum is a pretty good 55-prime.

All in a zipped case that had been in an attic and hadn't been opened in 37-years. It was a lot like opening one of those "time capsule" things....

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:44 am 
Hi Oldwarbler!

It's the later Adaptall 2 46A Model! Great little lens! Good at f4 and f5.6 and razor like at f8. And Macro down to 1:2.9 with a twist of the barrel!

It's said to be much better than the other versions of this lens!