Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:51 pm 

Hi folks,

Gordon quite understandably is reluctant to start a film section, let alone a "plate" section, on the forum but as many of us are enthusiasts whose interests don't stop at and may even predate "digital" I thought it'd be fun to start a Vintage Cameras thread. For now I'll stick it in the "Other camera manufacturers" section but that may need a rethink depending on what other cameras get added.

The rule is simple: the camera should be about fifty or so years old, or older, and it must be owned by you or a close member of your family. I don't intend that this age limit should be adhered to so strictly that a genuinely interesting camera is disqualified but if you think "fifty or older" then that probably hits the right ball park.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:51 pm 

To get the ball roliing:

Goerz Taro Tenax Unboxing
This came to light during a loft clean-out earlier in the year:
    Image Image
Open it up and the contents are revealed as a few flat things and a black brick:
The brick is unusual as it has some "shutters" and a window:
Standing it up and pressing the right button reveals all:
It's a Taro Tenax, made just under a hundred years ago by C. P. Goerz. There's a brief history of the company here at Wikipedia while the camera is described more fully here at Camerapedia. Looking at the catalogues at Sylvain Halgand's Goerz Taro Tenax 9 x 12 mod. II page I'm guessing that my camera dates back at least to 1913. :shock:

I was given it by a generous neighbour back in the sixties to allow me to do some astrophotography, probably because the shutter mechanism was already missing though I have no memory now of whether I ever possessed it. With all the certainty of a young teenager I knew that because the professionals used glass plates in their cameras that by doing the same I'd take stunning photos. Of course I know better now and while I had a self-built 6" Newtonian reflecting telescope I could never afford an equatorial mounting for it and my metalworking skills were never the equal of the task of making my own. But I had some fun even if my one and only remaining shot of the moon was pretty awful. But heck, it was a simpler age, I was very young and I had great fun taking it.
I scanned the plate and then did a bit of Photoshopping. As I remarked it's pretty awful but I do wonder what my younger self would have thought had he known the power of the technologies we can now bring to bear in the digital darkroom. To put it in context, this was a time when silicon transistors were just beginning to take over from germanium and the phrase "home computer" was an oxymoron.

Just for fun I took the lens off my 5D Mark II and lined it up behind the Taro Tenax (plate holder removed). Lots of light leakage and the optical axes were certainly not correctly lined up but just being able to place a modern digital sensor behind a camera dating back to before the first World War and grab an image made me happy all over again, even if the results aren't much, if any, of an improvement over that moon shot taken more than forty years ago. 8)
    Image Image
As you can imagine, these were just quick shots from within the house as I hate having an unprotected digital sensor free to attract any dust particles it fancies. That last one is a 100% crop.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:27 pm 

I had an old Zenit-E camera (found it on a dump), but I took it apart to see how it worked (shutter curtain was busted anyway). I still have some parts like the mirror mechanism and the pentaprism if you need proof. I also have the lens (Helios 44-2 58mm F/2) but I need an adapter to use it on my D2H.

The second oldest camera here is a Yashica with a Kiron 80-200 and yashica 50mm F/2. Still belongs to my dad and it doesn't work anymore (electrical error).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:38 am 

I have a Yashica A TLR from approx 1954.... Previously owned by my grandpa.

It still works but 3 screws are missing for the view finder, so when folding the VF it gets jammed easily, so I have to cram it gently to get it open and ready for use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:09 pm 

lol i love ur tool holder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:01 am 

Hi folks,

So nearly all of you have either sold, lost or never had "vintage" cameras! :lol:

But if you enjoy looking at them nevertheless then have a look at the Tamarkin Camera Winter 2011 Auction Catalog (6.3 MB PDF file). There's an interesting assortment of cameras there (not just Leicas) and the variation in estimated prices shows just how careful one has to be. I'm certainly not tempted but if you are then do read the terms and conditions of the auction and take especial note of the buyer's premium rates. :!:

Bob.