Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm 

Well, obviously Leica is higher quality in retrospect, but would you rather buy a Leica X1 or a Fujifilm X100?

I like to think of the X100 as an X1 with more features, hence the 00 to represent more. BUT, the X1 must have a higher quality lens, or it wouldn't be $1000 more would it?

I'm not really in the market for either of these, but what's your opinion? X1 or X100?

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 pm 

Given the X100 isn't final yet, and no one can review it, we have to do a bit of guessing.

I can't see the X1 being much better than the X100. I think the high price of the X1 is down to the Leica brand.

There is of course a not-quite-same but much cheaper option: get one of the new breed of EVIL cameras and fit a pancake prime on it.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:52 pm 

Hi Evan,

Of course there's only one of those two models that you actually can buy for the next five or six months!

That said I might buy an X100 and, despite being a bit of a Leica fanboy, albeit not one who views the brand through the proverbial rose-tinted, I wouldn't buy an X1 at its current price.

I still might not follow through on the X100 but that will depend totally on how well it is reviewed. Fujinon have a good track record when it comes to building quality lenses (Hasselblad) so I'm hopeful that the lens will be excellent. At $1,000 I'd also expect the camera construction to ooze quality and for the output to do the same. Anything less won't cut it on a fixed focal length APS-C camera IMHO.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:54 pm 

I'd probably buy a Leica, because it has the very nice Leica lens, and it's better than the little Panasonic Leica lens thingies. This is Leica's first TRUE Leica compact.

I'd probably spend the extra $500-$1000 so that I can get the Adobe Lightroom software, the high quality Leica lens, plus the satisfaction of owning a Leica. It's a phtog's dream, being the proud owner of a Leica. Even if it's just a Leica compact, these babies are still made in Germany, and aren't re branded Panasonics.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:08 pm 

Well, for those of us who already have software as good as or better than Lightroom the bundled software with a Leica represents no inducement at all. :evil:

But heck, it's nice to have things you value so why not go for it and get an X1 if you want one. Enjoy. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 pm 
I'd take an X100 and not even blink..lol. The new viewfinder looks very interesting and the design is very appealing.

If I could choose freely, the new Leica M9 Titanium would be my first choice, but you could also get a pretty decent vehicle for the same money..lol.

The X100 could be my first true go-everywhere camera that I'd be happy with.

...time go ask for a raise..lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:56 am 

Haha, yes.

As much as I'd like one of these, it's just not in my budget.

I only have Photoshop elements, so the Lightroom would be appealing.

Another thing that I like about the X1 is it's packaging, take a look at the video here and see the box, it's just magnificent!

Also, it would be neat to tell my non-photography friends that I own a $2000 German camera, and my photography friends that I have a Leica compact that isn't just a re branded Panasonic. I know, I'm being a camera snob, but hey. It is a Leica! :D

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:35 am 
I wouldn't be surprised if the Fuji's lens ends up being better or closer than the $1000 difference would suggest. I don't doubt that either camera is very good but they seem more like luxury items. I'd go with the Fuji, on paper, it is better in every way except at being a Leica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 pm 

Perhaps, bet we'll need to see some comparisons. Leicas are very high quality, but that red dot can increase the value by $1000. :D

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 pm 

even if it doesn't increase the quality by $1000. :P

As I mentioned, Fujinon used to make lenses for Hasselblad so they have the expertise. The big question is whether it'll be applied to the X100 and, unfortunately, we'll have to wait until March to find out. And there's no absolute guarantee that the X100 will ever surface though I think it likely that it will. But a bird in the hand is worth more than a better bird that is still to hatch so why not plump for that X1 and give us a user review. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:27 pm 

Haha, as I mentioned in the first post, I'm not interested in purchasing either, just looking at them. With my current financial status and out plummeting economy, it's not currently economically viable (AKA, It's too expensive! :) )

But, sometime in the future, I've promised myself that I WILL buy a Leica, rangefinder or compact, as long as it's not a re branded Panasonic!

By the way, check out this funny scene I saw from a movie here.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:21 pm 

The X1 is a very sexy camera, and it's capable of making stunning images (for those with a iPad, download the LFI app to see pics from every current Leica camera, and read the current LFI magazine). But the price is to high, and the AF is not that good (according to some reviews).
When Fuji presented the X100, I knew I wanted one. The only thing that could spoil it, is a horrible image quality. But since Fuji is placing the X100 in there pro-segment, i have high hopes for it.
Fuji has shown with the X100, that they are still capable of making a digital camera. That also looks back a lessons learned in the past.
How many cameras (non (D)SLR) are out there with a decent viewfinder ? While a lot of people are screaming for a camera with one. But all we see is the same boring and not working digital design, in which you are forced to use the display.
For a compact to take snap-shots I can understand this design. I use a canon S95 myself. But for a more pro camera, I want a viewfinder.
Hopefully will the release of the X100 start a new trend, for quality digital cameras with a good viewfinder.