Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:32 am 

A very detailed review of the X100 can be read here. It's the first time I can remember a review which devoted an entire page to document some 27 "bugs, quirks and eccentricities " in a camera's firmware and, my own bête noire, they left out the very low manual focus control's gearing. Hopefully Fuji will read, digest and act upon such feedback as well as more general handling issues mentioned elsewhere in the review and transform the camera into a world beater. I certainly hope so!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 pm 

Couple of great reads by Steve Huff:
- The Fuji X100 digital camera real world review
- The op 7 complaints of the Fuji X100 and how I get around them
- A word or two on the Fuji X100 from a repentant skeptic (Greg Shanta)

Enjoy!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:29 pm 
Got to use one today. Its every bit as awesome as you think it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:13 pm 

More X100 types coming in September?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/triple- ... 10-is-out/

I'm starting to lean this way for a "personal" non-work camera now, but need to see what the NEX 7 will be like beforehand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:56 am 
The new firmware has helped it a lot.
I still think it suffers from slow auto-focus and clunky menus though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:23 pm 

Hi Henning91,

Am I right in thinking that the firmware update hasn't changed the slow gearing when manually focussing? When I played with the camera earlier this year it seemed to take forever to change focus.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:56 pm 
Sorry for the late reply, Bob.
I only check the forums every now and again.

It has not changed the manual focus no. It' still pants.
The auto-focus has been improved slightly, but it was mainly software related fixes and not anything that actually affects performance.

I have actually sold my x100 now. Decided to invest in some really fast (1.2) glass for my M-camera instead.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Hi all, thought I'd bumped this tread up. I thought this would be a good idea because the X100 has been out for over a year and people may have had more experiences with it. Now that price has come down to under £700 I think it has become much more appealing. I personally don't own one, but lately I have be extremely interested in one. This is because I have enjoyed using my 50mm 1.4 on my camera much more than any other lens that I have ever used, this is because I enjoyed it's small, compact size mixed with its low light capabilities and brilliant quality. I soon came to realise that it reminded me when I was learning film with a Pentax k1000 with a 50mm, and it took me back to the basics of photography. Forcing me to take different perspectives, work for my photos and have that enjoyment of using a beautiful tool of photography. From what I have read and seen, the x100 gives that best of all of this.

So, after a year, do people still have the same feelings towards this camera? How has the camera performed for you?

Maybe, if I get some money set aside, ill invest in one, just wanted to hear peoples views.

Cheers, Scott.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 pm 

I'm just back from japan. My wife used my X100 and I used my D700.

Yes the x100 is still no speed machine, but the firmware improved the auto focus.
But in general the x100 preformed very good, often leaving me wondering why I was carrying my d700.

I'm now looking at the files of both the camera's, and the x100 is still very good compared to the d700.
The x100 produces beautiful out of camera jpg files, and can shoot raw if you want to.

But be aware, manual focus is completely rubbish, and the auto focus is to slow to really shoot moving individuals.

Would I buy one today, maybe. I think that new Olympus m4/3 would be a better choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7