Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:23 pm 
I've recently acquired a Canon 58mm 18-55mm lens and I'm looking to see if anyone can recommend a good brand and type of filter that would be suitable for lens protection and reducing glares and highlights in my photography (I shoot waterfalls and some objects such as jewelry). Do I need to buy both a polarizing filter and a UV filter, or does anyone know of a good cross between the two that offers protection and image quality in the circumstances I've described?

Thanks so much,

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:03 pm 

Well, the polarizer cuts down glare and makes gives a neat effect when shooting water, but you lose some light (1 to 2 stops). So, only use the polarizer when you need it, don't leave it on all the time. I wouldn't bother with a protection filter for the 18-55, a good filter will cost you half the price of the lens itself. Not worth it, I think.

As far as the polarizer goes: get a multicoated filter. A non-coated filter can introduce flare (I have one) and you don't want that. Hoya has good filters for a decent price.