Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:01 pm 
After my recent outing, I noticed how much PHOTOGRAPHY I have missed since my film Rebel broke down (lens failure) and I entered the digital world anyway with these neat little cameras you can put in your pocket and take zillions of SNAPSHOTS with.

So, off to DSLR land. Landed squarely in the Pentax K10D camp as it felt great and with the green button even my wife could use the camera. I was bothered by all the negatives about the picture quality, but it seems to me that by changing the default on sharpness and JPEG creation I will have a solid camera that would work just fine for me (comments?). The store guy wanted me to know about the Sony A100, but after confirming that my old Rokkor MD lenses would not do me much good, Sony dropped out though it felt great too.

I had discounted the Olympus because all the reviews discounted LIVE VIEW to a total waste till I found CameraLabs and saw Gordon's video. That LiveView does more then anyone else said it would do -- with the magnification, with the various overlays, etc. This baby looks just great. Need to get back to the store to make sure it feels ok in my hands. As it appears to be a step down from the Pentax in complexity, I know my wife can handle it (well, that is a good thing and a bad thing).

Gordon, about the only thing missing from your video was a preview through the viewfinder so viewers might be able to get a feel as to whether it is really so small and dark to be a problem or not.

For the record, I am not ready to drop thousands on new lenses so will stick with the kit lenses either way for a long time I am sure. Mostly travel shots (landscape, cities, etc) and some family photos too.

Any comments are welcome as I am still trying to make this decision final, at least final enough to go buy one and then make sure I love it in the 14 days I will have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:49 pm 

Hi xd11lover,

An especially warm welcome to you on the CameraLabs forums as you are our 1,000th forum member. :D

Unfortunately I have no experience with the K10D but I'm sure other members of our community will jump in and offer their thoughts. Good luck with your decision. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi xd11lover, as Bob, says, an especially warm welcome as our 1000th member!

I know what you mean about Live View - some people just don't seem to get it. It's no substitute for framing through a proper SLR optical viewfinder, and I wouldn't suggest anyone holds an SLR out in front of them all the time like a compact, but there are times when Live View can be incredibly useful.

Speaking of the optical viewfinder though, there's no easy way to show what the view is like compared to other models as you can't easily get the camcorder to look through it. Basically though, the Four Thirds view is narrower than traditional DSLRs so the viewfinder looks smaller. But you do get used to it.

If it helps though, I'd expect most new DSLRs next year to have Live View, so there could be a suitably-equipped Pentax coming soon!