Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 am 
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6745135 ... ntActivity

Sale obviously started ... first user photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:05 pm 
did anyone get one ?
seems it start shippong from amazon in US.

Post subject: Fuji HS 10
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:10 pm 
Someone seems a tad disappointed

Jan .
Got a HS10 today. I took it out and shot about 300 photos with it. I am so disappointed with it, it is going back tomorrow. High noise level from iso 200 up. Focusing a problem at full tilt must use manual focus. Out of the 300 photos not one that you can say wow. Tripod and self timer did not help, maybe a dud one? I also own a s200EXR which is brilliant compared to the HS10

7:04 pm - Saturday, April 3, 2010

#40 kunjmann .
that's really sad, especially because this has been an awaited camera and much publicized. how's the video and low light performance?

8:09 pm - Saturday, April 3, 2010

#41 Jan .
I guess the low price should have been a warning, Although I must say the build quality is good and it has some brilliant features and my decision was made on this and the S200EXR's performance I never tried the video feature as I am not into video, but I suppose with focusing it would be the same problem. The viewfinder also seems very small and really useless, I had to make use of the LCD which is very good. I switched of the auto EVF/LCD feature as that was very annoying and did not really work well. Auto white balance did not work very well on photos taken inside. I took several RAW pictures but were unable to convert it with CS2 or Paint shop Pro X. Maybe I just got a dud one but I am not prepared to take the chance and will rather return it while I can.

Although this guy feels differently------( seems some good pics to me)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=34949594

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 pm 
Zakdog - Hmmm, I notice that the Pix posted are at 126mm and below... The non-brilliant IQ S2000HD can do that. One therefore wonders - are the images at 500mm and up - to its 720mm - not very "usable"...?

These "User Reports" are a bit worrying... A Canon SX10 IS - which has the same size, if not type, sensor - can do better than the Pix shown. As shown on this Forum. (See Gordon's SX10 Review.)

Maybe, "out past" 20x the HS10 can't do much better than the SX10 using its 1.4x Teleconverter mode, which "simulates" up to 28x.

If so - it certainly still has features that the SX10 doesn't - RAW, and the 7-shots full-frame at 10fps rate, and more. Plus HD video - IF folk need that.

But if folk already have an SX10 / SX1 / SX20 - are those "added features" enough to induce them to buy the very pricey HS10?

In Australia the HS10 will be over AUD$800.00 - US$740.00. For AUD$50.00 more we can have the Pentax KX with kit Pentax 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. Or an Olympus E-620 with 14-42mm lens for AUD$880.00.

Yes - I'm very aware that for those of us on lower incomes, pensions, etc - buying more lenses for DSLRs can be a worry. Perhaps less so with the Pentax ability to use older pre-owned lenses...

I'm not at all sure what Fuji's up to with its pricing on the HS10 here - if it is absolutely brilliant for a small-sensor Bridge Camera - at 600mm plus, if not right out at 720mm, then yes - it's still an attractive buy, with all of those nice features.

But it has to be "at least as good" as the Canon SX 10 to 600mm - and "much better" than the SX10's "1.4x TC simulations" - out to 28x plus, to really be worth buying...

Because even though my buying-power is limited - I've been doing my sums - and I can get a Pentax KX with just the kit 18-55mm, for AUD$689.00 - and while learning my DSLR-basics with the 18-55 - save a bit more and get the Sigma 70-300mm DG ADO - which is about AUD$300.00 here.

So, total price just under AUD$1,000.00 - or about $200.00 more than the HS10. Sure, that Sigma 70-300mm isn't a "Pro" level lens - but I'm only doing "hobby-level" anyway. And I have seen some very nice images the more experienced DSLR folk have done with that lens.... Maybe I wouldn't get to that skills level - but it'd be fun trying to!

Therefore - back to the "Dilemma".... Phewww! Do we need a "really proper" Review on the HS10!

> Fuji - hurry up and Express-Transfer one to Gordon - instanter...! He might have remarkable Reviewing-abilities - but I doubt that doing them via ESP is included... :)

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 am 
Hi,
i admit the dslr thought did get me once. In the price of the HS10, you can have an Oly E520 with 14-42mm kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm lens. Spend a bit more, and get a 2x teleconverter. Then one can have equivalent focal length of 28-1200mm seeing that it has a 2x crop factor. And whats more, the entire focal length will be "usable" and no noise at ISO200 and a very usable ISO800. Considering the future, if you have to replace the HS10 for whatever reason, it goes with the lens, but here, with the Oly, or any other dslr for that matter, you don't have to invest on lenses every time. Just replace the body and get done with it. Also, if by chance you damage your lens or body, you can't carry on with a fixed lens camera, but with a dslr, you only need to replace the damaged part! All this apart from IQ advantages of a dslr.
The only trump point for Fuji will be excellent image quality for its class, good high iso performance and the entire focal length should be usable. If any of this is lacking, I guess it will lose most of its fan-following.
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 am 
Jinay - Im not very long into this camera-hobby - but I've been picking up a lot of info from this Forum (and the Canon one, as I have an SX10 IS) - so I'm highly aware that no P&S or Bridge Camera is going to have the IQ even a good Entry-Level DSLR has.

Buying high-level lenses such as the Canon Ls and such is out of the question at my lowish fixed income. Which is what made the Pentax DSLRS a good possibility - the KM looked rather neat - now the KX looks even more so, as they can use so many of the older manual - but very good glass - lenses.

Here older Pentax lenses turn up quite regularly on the "Gumtree" auction site, for apparently quite reasonable amounts - recently a 50mm manual f1.7 prime for under $100.00 - "near-new condition - bring your camera and try it", sort of thing. (Though I'd certainly check on-Forum before buying anything that way.)

Sounds like a lot of fun - providing that you checked with folk who "really know" about such things before outlaying any money!

There again - something like the HS10 "fills in the holes" of the things the Canon SX10 doesn't do - the 7 shots at 10fps being one of those. I'll certainly keep the SX10 - it's still teaching me things every time I have a good session with it. And it's small enough to be carried wrapped in a soft-cloth in the end-pocket of a carry-bag.

Perhaps the thing to do - if Reviews say good things overall about the HS10 - is to go for that - which for a time will solve the "more lenses" problem, and wait for the Entry-Pentax after the KX. Which might have the few "niggles" of the KX - the non-visble focus-points, the mirror-slap thing, and the bit-wobbly video - all fixed.

So if the HS10 is a "goer" - do that, and start saving again for the later this year K-5 - or whatever it will actually be called...

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 am 
Hi oldwarbler,
Like you, I am pretty much new and it was Gordon's excellent reviews on Panasonic FZ30, FZ50 and FZ35 that got me here!
Ya, as of now no P&S, with their small sensors come anywhere near even entry level DSLRs, but I am eagerly waiting for one that can break that "rule!" I read Gordon's review about Olympus E-520 and he had compared it to Canon EOS 450D and Pentax K200D. You can check it here:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... ults.shtml
I found the Olympus makes more sense for me than the Canon and Pentax. Unless I am mistaken, the Pentax is heavy with many weatherproofing layers for rough photography conditions contrary to most entry level DSLRs which are designed to be light and easy.
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:58 am 
Jinay - Yes, the professional level Pentax DSLRs do have heavy weatherproofing, but the others don't. The KX is actually lighter than my Canon SX10 IS - until you add a light - or larger - lens to it.

The Olympus E520 has the 4/3rds 2.0 crop-factor, while Pentax is 1.5, and Canons/Nikons seem to be 1.5 or 1.6. (?)

Was that "x2" effect on lenses what interested you in the Olympus? There don't seem to be a lot of lenses available for the Olympus mount - and they aren't cheap. One certainly can't buy used lenses for them, going back past the early 2000s and well into the film-SLR era - as one can with the Pentaxes.

If weight is a problem, the HS10 with batteries and card is 730 grams - and a KX with batteries, card, and a Sigma 18-50mm lens is not much over 100 grams more....

Have you looked at Canon's S90? It's very light - 175 grams, and the Li-Ion battery helps with that. Also, it's quite small - 100 x 58.4 x 30.9 mm - but still manages to have a 75mm / 3" LCD. It's 10Mpix, 3.8x optical zoom - but lacks a viewfinder. However, it's getting pretty good reports on IQ and general usability. Gordon's done a full-on Review of it here.

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:53 am 
Hi oldwarbler,

Canon has a crop factor of 1.6 (1000D, 450D, etc.), Nikon has a crop factor of 1.5 (D3000 etc.) and Olympus has a crop factor of 2 (E-510, E-520, E-620, etc.). Meaning, you have to multiply the 35mm equivalent focal length of a lens by the crop factor. Since Oly has a crop factor of 2, it covers more focal length with the same lens and gives me more reach. Lenses of focal length more than 300mm on a full frame camera are very expensive. Since a 300mm lens can give me the reach of a 600mm lens on Oly, but 480mm and 450mm on Canon and Nikon respectively, it makes more sense for me, especially since Oly's slightly smaller sensor does not seem to much affect photo quality.

As for lenses, I am not much aware, but many third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron can fit on it with the help of an adapter. As I mentioned earlier, I am looking only at the popular 70-300 lens, and a 2x extender to cover an entire focal length of 28-1200mm.
This adapter is for Olympus 4/3 mount:
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/tamr ... dapter.htm
Here in India, the adapter and the Tamron 70-300 telemacro lens is way cheaper than the Zuiko 70-300 lens. And the Tamron reviews are good, except for maybe the slightly noisy AF motor. Unlike many new lenses, it does not use an ulrasonic motor.

Weight is not really a problem, because of you can consider a DSLR body and at least three lenses in your bag, a couple of hundred grams here or there doesn't make much difference. But Oly is supposed to be much smaller, so using it should be easier, particularly if you are used to DSLR styled cameras like Panasonic FZ series or Canon SX series.

As for Canon's S90, I simply cannot do with a 3.8x optical zoom camera!

Jinay.

Last edited by jinay on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm 
I red few user opinions on the web...
So far there are some problems with writing speeds.
One guy used SanDisk extreme III card and it took 3-5 sec to transfer raw on SD card. This is bad!!
Photos I saw look rather nice but this speed could be a problem.
Can this kind of problem be fixed with firmware update?

Post subject: FUJI HS 10
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:05 pm 

Well guys the dye is cast, I have decided against the HS 10 and gone a bit mad and bought the Canon EOS 500D with EF-S 18-55mm & EF-S 55-250mm lenses. With already having the Canon SX 10 I thought it would be a bit crazy to buy a similar Bridge camera albeit a slightly longer lens.

So I am delving into the world of DSLR cameras it wasn't cheap $1330 Aussie & $1222 US & £800 Stirling but as I am 60 yrs old I probably wont be buying a lot more cameras in my lifetime so I thought I would push the boat out.

If any of you decide to buy the HS 10 I will be most interested to see if you think I have missed anything.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 am 
Hi,
dkacunic, I haven't been able to get a single proper, full review on the HS10, and which seems stupid, seeing that it is already selling! As for the slow writing of raw files, was it in burst mode? Because usually it takes that much time to empty the buffer. But if it is otherwise, it seems a serious drawback. Still waiting for some good review.....
Zakdog, congratulations on the 500D! Hope you really enjoy it.
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:39 am 
Jinay - As you're saying, this "Review thing" is getting to be a bit of a worry.

Some odd things are happening with the HS10.... With the US price at US$500.00, we expected the HS10 to be the traditional 50% more in USDs here in Sydney - US$750.00+ - which is AUD$820.00+ at present.

Actually, it's appeared at a shopfront (Digital Camera Warehouse) - not online, at nothing like the well over $800.00 expected - they have it for AUD$559.00 - which is US$515.00.

That's actually AUD$45.00 less than I paid for my Canon SX10 IS at DCW last year - AUD$604.00.

Gets odder - the HS10 sells for $30.00 less than the 20x Canon SX20 IS (AUD$589.00) - and a whopping $165.00 less than Canon's late 2008 released SX1 IS, which is AUD$754.00 (US$695.00)

And odder still - the 26x Nikon P100 - which uses the same "enlightened-backside" sensor as the HS10 - has suddenly dropped below the Canon SX20 - and indeed below the HS10, in price, to AUD$527.00 - $32.00 under the HS10.....

Also - it's just on two and a half months since the HS10 was announced - and there are still no "hands-on" Reviews. Does Fuji want to "sell-a-million" of the only 30x Bridge-Zoom with a Viewfinder - in the initial rush... Before the full Reviews appear and say that its IQ is no better than the Nikon P100, with that same BSI sensor?

Still, there's one cheerful possibility - since cameras traditionally sell for about two-thirds of the Australian price in USDs, in the US - thrifty Americans should be able to grab an HS10 for around US$350.00 - once the rush is over and the shelves are full...!

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:33 pm 
Hi oldwarbler,
What you say certainly makes a lot of sense. Nikon P100 was much hyped as a complete overhaul of the P90 and had some very good sample images on its site, but it was worse than 'dud!' Even Sony cameras which used this sensor had colour problems, which the P100 too suffers from. Some guy even mentioned his disappointment with the hs10 that there is noise right from iso200 and up, and image quality is even worse than his s200exr! Fuji has significantly better capabilities in terms of zoom versatility and fancy software wonders, which may have pushed the P100's price below it. I believe even Olympus rolled back prices of its sp800uz! It looks like we'll have to wait and watch what the latter half of the year brings from the usual leaders - Panasonic and Canon!
That said, the bsi-cmos appears a very powerful innovation whose benefits are yet to be exploited. If it gets the chance to mature, I am hoping it can do much good! Meanwhile, lets see what the next fuji exr will be....
Jinay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:20 pm 
hi

thanks jinay for mentioning hs10. Gordon i am die hard fan of your way of reviewing a camera. i request you to please review this one at earliest because its a very hyped and much waited one. your review will help a lot of newbies like me who have been swept of their feet by the feature packed super zoomer. please review it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next