Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:00 pm 
Congrats to the other camera underdog for this new camera. While the swivel LCD is something that I would miss, I really envy the video capacities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:42 pm 
kpr wrote:
I'm gonna echo what Jaxwolf said being as my K200 is only 2 months old.
I think I might have held out a couple more months before purchasing.
Goes to show never believe what ya read on the net for the most part....
I read before purchasing Pentax was making no new releases this year :evil:

although K-7 is a great upgrade because it has so much new features, but why not investing for the better lens instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 pm 

Bonjour Gordon,

Gordon Laing wrote:
Rei, I've already requested a K-7 to review, but I've no idea when it'll be. There's a slim chance it may not even be brought into NZ, in which case I'll need to source one from Australia or further afield.

Pentax should be more careful with its (enthusiast) customers and sites as Camera Labs :).

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hey, does anyone think it would have been better with an articulated screen?!

I guess the articulated screen is not that easy to engineer and build with strong quality and water- and dust-resistant. Actually, the articulated screen is really helpful if the live-view (LV) is good. That wasn't the case with the K20D. How good is LV on the bold new K7 :?:

Actually, I'm rather impressed by the specs and the fact The K7 is even smaller. I'm still enjoying my K10D, with a brand new DA* 60-250 SDM lens :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:57 pm 

I'm far from disappointed with the K200,just saying....had I known when making the upgrade... :wink:
Hmmm better lenses...bet they could cost as much as the divorce?...LOL

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:06 pm 
RE: Articulated Screen

Maybe I'm not in a position to say, cause I have a D80 with no Live View at all, but it would seem to me that this would just be something that would be incredibly easy to break, and probably incredibly expensive to fix. Can you imagine being out in the bush somewhere on a 3 week trek and having your "articulated screen" snap off on the 3rd day?
This just seems like an unnecessary doo-dad with limited utility, but high liability....

This camera really does seem AMAZING though, and I've always liked Pentaxes and am still nostalgic for my old K1000. Was thinking of picking up a D300 when its successor appears and the price drops, but this may have changed the ballgame. Only problem is that I'll have to start from scratch lens-wise, but it still may be worth doing.

MFL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:28 pm 
yes, articulated screen may be handy, but its more prone to breaking easily

besides, most people dont take that many low/high angle shots anyways 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:43 am 

I actually think it is quite a convenient. Even when you aren't using it you can always flip it back to normal position. Better to have the option rather than not to right?

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 am 
yes...thats why i said its handy to have it :P

same with things like weather sealing...even though i think that i wont need weather sealing cause i would rarely go out shooting in the rain, its a really handy feature...the camera will last longer and dust wont be that much of a problem

Post subject: the new sensor
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 am 
Hi does anyone know if the sensor was made by Samsung, because if it was there is a possibility of I dunno a Samsung equivalent of the K7 which would be released I assume roughly at around the same time?

If there is an equivalent this is a distinct possibility that Samsung will have the same two new weather sealed lenses but with their brand name instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:37 am 
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pentax-K7-11613

a review from ephotozine, have some full size noise comparison, very usable at 3200 is a good news. It is comparable to D90/D300

the question is, should buyer get D90 instead K7. Price different is pretty significant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:29 am 
Looked at the high iso results and they look great but I don't know if anybody else noticed but it looked like in the bottom right hand of the grey strip but at iso 3200 one of the pixels have turned red (hot pixels or something, Gordon mentioned this in his review of the Canon 5D II I think)
The HDR settings don't look like something I'd use, but I would like to see the highlight and shadow correction settings applied to an image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 pm 
They say that it is backwards compatible with all Pentax lenses... Do they really mean all I wonder? I have some old Pentax lenses for an old film SLR that I have. No auto focus obviously, but I wonder if they'd work?

What do people think of this over the D5000 Nikon? I'm pretty sure I have my mind made up but other people with more experience are more likely to make a better judgment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:54 pm 
ryan_b wrote:
What do people think of this over the D5000 Nikon? I'm pretty sure I have my mind made up but other people with more experience are more likely to make a better judgment...

since image quality, image resolution war is almost over. The main differentiation between high-end and low-end camera lays predominantly on built quality and speed (cont. burst, AF speed, responsiveness)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:21 am 

All lenses do work with some limitations (as i use a M 50mm f/2). M42 also works but u need an adapter (obviously...).

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pentax-K7-11613
http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_0601_pentax_k7
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pent ... k-7-a.html
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/11609
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk7/page4.asp
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... =pentax+k7

The k-7 has been getting extremely positive reviews everywhere I have seen, and I can't wait for it to come out. +- 5EV is a huge plus, IN-CAMERA HDR function a huge plus (and hasn't been seen on a semi-pro camera before), speed, build, metering, small size (not light though). Adorama even labels it as a "system changer", digital camera review.com as "revolutionary", and DPreview even labels the K-7 as a "pocket sized battleship to Nikon's dreadnought". Even on pentaxforums, a few Canon users and Nikon users are ready to make the switch, asking which lenses to get for their upcoming K-7. This is really exciting for us Pentax users!

and even though it isn't full HD (1920X1080), it still offers 1536X1024 at 30fps, so it is VERY close to full HD (just an observation as some websites have put down the Pentax for only its "720p" video recording)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:09 am 

Digitalcamerareview.com also wrote this about the K-7 (which i found surprising).
Link: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... =pentax+k7

"When it comes to image quality, I honestly feel like kissing the Pentax engineers responsible for the K-7. Although our pre-production unit didn't come with the final firmware, image quality at all ISO settings seems noticeably superior to the K10D or K20D in terms of image noise and color. More importantly, Pentax finally seems to have figured out how to build a camera with extremely accurate white balance. Whether I was shooting under strong incandescent light or horrible mixed lighting conditions the K-7 almost always managed to deliver perfect white balance for accurate color reproduction even with JPEGs. In the sample image below the party hat is being lit by an incandescent bulb, a window with diffused sunlight, and a TV projecting various color temperatures of light. The most important thing to notice in that sample image is that the colors look exactly the way they should despite the horrible lighting. I'll reserve detail and noise analysis for the full review, but so far I like what I see in terms of color reproduction and dynamic range."

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next