Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:25 am 
What crazy city could this be? St. Johns?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm 
somehow im not getting email notifications for this post anymore after my last reply...it seems i missed out a little here...

anyway, my k200d is finally here, as i mentioned, the package has two lens: one 18-55mm and 50-200mm...i tired them both n i found that the 50-200mm one does "everything" the 18-55mm one(correct me if im wrong), so...

do you guys think it is a good idea to sell the kit lens? are there any goods that i didnt find out about the kit lens? :?

and also, maybe i should sell both of these lens and use the money to buy the 18-200 lens that Gordon mentioned in the review (pretty high-end to newbie like me though :wink: ), what you guys think??


Last edited by vic386 on Wed May 06, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm 
kpr wrote:
I don't think you'll be disappointed Vic.
Notice a new green banner in my signature since last post here? :D


love that banner~!!!:D
how can i have one too??


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:17 pm 
Vic congrads on your ownership of the K200D. I make the banners in photoshop. When I get some free time I will make you one.

To answer your question about the kit lens's. The 18-55mm lens is for general picture taking pretty much. The 50-200mm is basically the extention to that. You can now cover 18-200mm of range with those two lenses. My advice to you is to just keep both lenses. If you were to sell the pair of lenses and buy one lens then your still only covering the same focal lengths. At this point I would think about what kind of photography you will be most into. Practice with the two lenses you already have and then decide if you lets say want to get into macro then you will need to start looking into prime lenses such as a 90mm or if you want to get into landscapes then you should look into wide angle lenses. Myself, I only have the 18-55mm kit lens but have ordered a Tamron 70-300mm with macro mode. Because I want to start getting into some macro but still want the flexability of the 70-300mm range. For you though Id say your pretty set on a range.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:39 pm
Posts: 601
Location: France
Bonsoir,

Generally speeking, a zoom shouldn't exceed 4x factor on focal length.

So the combination of the lenses 18-55mm (3x factor) and 50-200mm (4x factor) brings better image quality than a super-zoom 18-200mm (11x factor).

_________________
--- rei_vilo
Pentax K-5 + BG4 + DA* 16-50 + DA* 50-135 + DA* 60-250 + AF-540FGZ
reivilophotography.weebly.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:27 am 
Slick3358 wrote:
Vic congrads on your ownership of the K200D. I make the banners in photoshop. When I get some free time I will make you one.

To answer your question about the kit lens's. The 18-55mm lens is for general picture taking pretty much. The 50-200mm is basically the extention to that. You can now cover 18-200mm of range with those two lenses. My advice to you is to just keep both lenses. If you were to sell the pair of lenses and buy one lens then your still only covering the same focal lengths. At this point I would think about what kind of photography you will be most into. Practice with the two lenses you already have and then decide if you lets say want to get into macro then you will need to start looking into prime lenses such as a 90mm or if you want to get into landscapes then you should look into wide angle lenses. Myself, I only have the 18-55mm kit lens but have ordered a Tamron 70-300mm with macro mode. Because I want to start getting into some macro but still want the flexability of the 70-300mm range. For you though Id say your pretty set on a range.


hmmm, thanks alot man. very detailed, this helps alot!! :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:09 am 
Rei explained it a bit better than me. I didnt know the X factors. Havent learned that much yet. Rei has really helped me out a few times now Vic so any advice he gives is an asset.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 am 
rei_vilo wrote:
Bonsoir,

Generally speeking, a zoom shouldn't exceed 4x factor on focal length.

So the combination of the lenses 18-55mm (3x factor) and 50-200mm (4x factor) brings better image quality than a super-zoom 18-200mm (11x factor).


Slick3358 wrote:
Rei explained it a bit better than me. I didnt know the X factors. Havent learned that much yet. Rei has really helped me out a few times now Vic so any advice he gives is an asset.


i read that too but i thought he is replying to someone else coz i dont really understand that...sry, plz bear w. me...can either one of u guys explain a lil bit more?? :wink:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 am 
vic386 wrote:
somehow im not getting email notifications for this post anymore after my last reply...it seems i missed out a little here...

anyway, my k200d is finally here, as i mentioned, the package has two lens: one 18-55mm and 50-200mm...i tired them both n i found that the 50-200mm one does "everything" the 18-55mm one(correct me if im wrong), so...

do you guys think it is a good idea to sell the kit lens? are there any goods that i didnt find out about the kit lens? :?

and also, maybe i should sell both of these lens and use the money to buy the 18-200 lens that Gordon mentioned in the review (pretty high-end to newbie like me though :wink: ), what you guys think??

The 50-200mm doesn't cover the 18-50mm range the 18-55mm can. So don't sell it unless you don't need those range, which I doubt.

Check out the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm. As rei mention, super zoom lens aren't that good as there are compromises to be made to achieve the large zoom range. However, this doesn't seem to apply to the 18-250mm.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:56 am 
byte wrote:
The 50-200mm doesn't cover the 18-50mm range the 18-55mm can. So don't sell it unless you don't need those range, which I doubt.

Check out the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm. As rei mention, super zoom lens aren't that good as there are compromises to be made to achieve the large zoom range. However, this doesn't seem to apply to the 18-250mm.


I think thats true. i find that the 18-50mm lens is easier to use as well, but i still prefer the 18-250mm lens...coz it is too much work taking 2 lenses around...but again, due to my budget, i will take ur advise to keep the two lenses.

Through out my recent practice, I find it is very hard to take pictures in shutter priority mode, since the vibration reduction not so effective in this mode...i can only hold the camera steady enough at around the speed of 1/8s or faster. im wondering if u guys can provide me some tips in taking pictures in slow shutter speed??

Also, the 4 batteries that comes with the camera are about to die, what kind of batteries (rechargeable or not, doesnt matter) u guys think is a better choice, or any particular one u have used that also works, please let me know. Thanks a lot!! :wink:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:09 am 
Easy and simple methods my friend. When shooting at a long shutter speed do yourself a favor and pick up a tripod. I picked up a cheap referbished one for $30 however be very careful to look at its build quality. Avoid a lot of plastic parts if possible. E-bay may be helpful or your local camera shop.

Now as far as the batteries. A fellow member of camera labs (Thank you KPR) informed me of a battery solution. I visited a local shop and picked up these.

http://ansmann.us/batteries/nimhrechargeablebatteries.html

Their a German company which you may find in various shops. You may need to hunt for them, however the website does provide you with stores in your area that will supply them. They are the NiMh AA 2850 which are third from the top on that page I just gave you. I picked up a pack of 4 with the special charger for $40 bucks. Which you will spend in two months if you keep buying the Energizer Lithiams

Also vic I havent forgotten about that banner for you. Will get it to you soon..


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 1781
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Two thumbs up on those batteries for sure.
I dunno why but the 200 seems to get way more life from a charge than the 100 did...
Doesn't matter why actually I just love it!!! :D

Truth told it may be the warmer weather :wink:

_________________
Pentax K-5
Pentax 18-55mm,Pentax 50-200mm,Sigma 17-70mm,Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma 50-500mm
Image


Last edited by kpr on Wed May 13, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:23 am 
Slick3358 wrote:
Easy and simple methods my friend. When shooting at a long shutter speed do yourself a favor and pick up a tripod. I picked up a cheap referbished one for $30 however be very careful to look at its build quality. Avoid a lot of plastic parts if possible. E-bay may be helpful or your local camera shop.

Now as far as the batteries. A fellow member of camera labs (Thank you KPR) informed me of a battery solution. I visited a local shop and picked up these.

http://ansmann.us/batteries/nimhrechargeablebatteries.html

Their a German company which you may find in various shops. You may need to hunt for them, however the website does provide you with stores in your area that will supply them. They are the NiMh AA 2850 which are third from the top on that page I just gave you. I picked up a pack of 4 with the special charger for $40 bucks. Which you will spend in two months if you keep buying the Energizer Lithiams

Also vic I havent forgotten about that banner for you. Will get it to you soon..


i may get a tripod later, but if its possible to shoot better in lower shutter speed by hands? what do u do usually other than using a tripod which may not be allowed in some cases...

the battery. it looks good!! :o lemme see if someone selling these on the US ebay site~!!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:18 am
Posts: 1781
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Try a higher ISO vic should speed things up for you.
I have been trying it with Noise Reduction on and quite happy with results outdoors...so far.
I use AV alot.

_________________
Pentax K-5
Pentax 18-55mm,Pentax 50-200mm,Sigma 17-70mm,Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma 50-500mm
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 am 
kpr wrote:
Try a higher ISO vic should speed things up for you.
I have been trying it with Noise Reduction on and quite happy with results outdoors...so far.
I use AV alot.


i have the d-range and noise reduction (strong) on all the time, i may try to set it to 800 or 1600 next time...thanks kpr


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group