Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:20 pm 
Pentax's parent company, Hoya, is to reduce its digital camera staffing levels in Japan to around half their current levels, according to the respected Japanese business paper, Nikkei. The report says jobs will be lost in sales, production management and development. Up to 300 sales-related jobs outside Japan may also go. The company has not discussed precise details but says the Nikkei story restates the company's restructuring plans announced with its third-quarter financial results in February.

"The digital camera business is hugely competitive and in the current economic climate it is right and proper for companies to evaluate their structures and costs to ensure they remain competitive in the global marketplace." the company said.

Hoya's financial results do not provide details of the individual businesses within Pentax, which include endoscopes, medical equipment and bio-compatible materials, as well as digital cameras. However, the summary of activities for the three months to December 08 had this to say: "For digital cameras, sales decreased due to sales decline in compact cameras, and also single lens reflex cameras recorded negative growth because of the fierce price competition in th[e] market."

Hoya's Pentax businesses have already been undergoing restructuring, in the light of Hoya's purchase of the company in 2007, with the costs of that process and the strong Japanese Yen contributing to the ¥1.4bn ($) operating loss it recorded for the three months to December.

from CL arch rival website, dpre**** (censored)

--------

What the next for Pentax users? Expect less product release, and less innovation? This might be slow suicide move from Pentax.

You'll need to inject resources for on innovation now, if you want to catch up or beat the bigger guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:30 pm 
I was wondering when this will happen. :( This is indeed suicide for Pentax.

Pentax is not big as a corporation,doesn't have a lot of employees compared to other brands,but still,this happened. I wonder how is the colaboration with Samsung doing...they have enough money,unless Samsung is planing to become a serious player in the digital photgraphy world,more or less helping Pentax.
It's a bit sad. This is one of those brands that made history. It would be a shame to let it sink.

Last edited by Razvan on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:55 pm 
Sadly, Samsung won't do anything, in fact they will develop their own system, based on mirrorless design = Samsung NX.

Samsung is stronger, because they are very competent and experienced in electronics area. They rely less on other manufacturer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
Sadly, Samsung won't do anything, in fact they will develop their own system, based on mirrorless design = Samsung NX.

This what my "more or less helping Pentax" referred too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:23 am 
oh ic.

Pentax does make many innovations in the past, but unfortunately it does not have good marketing. Nikon and Canon soon realize that marketing is very important to improve their brand perception and target many young photographers (Asthon Kutcher, Maria Sharapova). While Pentax still rely on their older generation loyal customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:51 am 

Enche Zein wrote:
While Pentax still rely on their older generation loyal customers.

Who ya callin "old"?

LOL :wink:

Was talking to a sales person/photgrapher the other day.
he said he was quite surprised Pentax had no new cams announced this year at the big cam show here in Canada.
Guess this could be why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:56 am 
hehe sorry, u're exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:01 am 
A Pentax is like a classical wrist watch...reliable,well built,but not as sparkly as the newer models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 am 

Well I'm gettin there...daily...lol

I wonder though, maybe no new gear is a cost saving measure.
Not many people will be making huge expeditures the next while.
Well most except us already addicted, and the way cams make advancements from year to year....
Why not lay low for a bit?
Kinda makes sense to me.

Maybe we should lobby to get them bailed out?
At least the CEO's will get their fatty bonuses...lmao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:29 pm 

Bonjour,

I hope those sad news won't affect the yet-to-come release of The Never Coming PENTAX smc DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM.

From a strategic point of view, Hoya brings its expertise in lens while the Samsung cooperation (see the K10D/GX10 and the K20D/GX20) provides electronics, sensors and image processors.

So what's left for Pentax? A brand, a unique brand, and much marketing to revive it and make it alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 pm 
Pentax K20D drops to record breaking $675 while the other comparable semi pro camera stays firms at $900-$1500 range.

Some sign of new product in horizon? or selling cheap to build up cash to avoid bancruptcy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:40 pm 

This is the reason why Pentaxians shouldn't buy all third-party or used lenses. Spend the extra $$$ and keep Pentax alive!

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 pm 
GLXLR wrote:
. Spend the extra $$$ and keep Pentax alive!

You are mistaking here. The price is probably the most important factor in any photographer's budget. For instance,going with other brands that provide better lenses at lower prices,is the most logical thing to do. It's not anybody's fault that Pentax doesn't have a lot of great lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 am 

Good business sense would tell them to make affordable lenses as good as their competitors.
They could then sell them maybe.
I think this recession is a good wake up call to all manufacturers on the planet as well consumers to spend their money a bit more wisely.
I did my part purchasing a camera from them recently.