Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax vs canon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:55 pm 
Hi everyone,

Im new to camera labs but I have been compareing DSLR camera's on Gordon's video reviews for 2 months. Im returning to the slr world after several years back when I worked with a film slr. I find myself overwhelmed by options, lenses, and quality.

Im interested in doing landscape, macro and nature photography and have been looking at the canon rebel xs. I love its options and price range but the lenses look expensive. I reciently used a friends pentax D10D and found it to be a good camera but not quite what i've seen so far in the Canon rebel XS. I've since looked at the pentax KM and the D200 which seem like great camera's.

My problem is that I heard Pentax lens mounts are all interchangable with eachother even as far back as old SLR film camera's which means cheaper lenses for me. I realize that the better the lens the better the pictures and many people put the best lenses they can afford and save $$ on the camera.

I really love the canon but find myself wanting to settle for the pentax because of lens cost. What should I do about this decision? Any suggestions would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:34 pm 
If you concern about lens I've wrote about it on my blog
http://www.radiantlite.com/2008/12/pent ... ses.html#0

here is my conclusion

Quote:
In general photography, especially wide to medium telephoto (14-135mm) Pentax has many quality lenses for you, but in telephoto range of 70-400mm, Canon provides many more options especially pro-quality lenses. If you care about portability, Pentax pancake lenses could catch your attention. Overall, Pentax system could save you significant amount of money, but Canon has significantly better collection to deal with low light, sports or fast action photography.

Btw, many of film lenses are more expensive than digitals. So I will say legacy lenses won't necessary translated to cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm 

Bonjour,

What difficult a question :?: A proper answer would suppose the writer has experienced both Canon and Pentax cameras :!:

I can only talk about Pentax: please read my :arrow: Pentax K10D Related User Reviews about the K10D and two great lenses, the DA* 16-50mm and the DA* 50-135mm, illustrated with many pictures.

Most important about the camera is how it feels on your hands, how clear is the viewfinder and how well placed are the commands.

I know, this is not an easy job :) . I took Pentax because back in 2006, the Pentax *ist DL offered the best value. In 2007, I changed it for a K10D best bang per buck I'm still very happy with.

Enjoy and good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 am 
Thank you guys so much for your help. I have decided on the pentax after actually holding the KM and the K200D.

I did have trouble decideing between those two camera's however in the end I will most likely go with the K200D for its build quality... 11point AF system (5 in the km) and actual bulkyness which Fit my big bear mit hands. Most people would find the weight of the camera and slower FPS a downside for the K200D but it fits me well. The KM is a nice camera that I would recommend to anyone. I only hope that the k200D isn't discontinued right after I buy it..lol

Prices in Canada are as follows....

Pentax KM --- $599
Pentax K200D ---- 699

Both with standard kit lens..... so with the better camera for only $100 more.. the choice is clear. I will be buying the k200D tomarrow afternoon. If anyone thinks that its a bad idea please let me know why..lol

Thanks again for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 am 
No, I think it is a smart decision.

in mid range dslr, in my opinion k200d is the 2nd best value in 2008.
(the first is Nikon D90). Considering the price of the camera and you money that you will save on the lenses, it will be a good investment for years to come.

Pentax km is not bad as well, but this camera is positioned more for beginners and users that demand a more compact dslr camera.

Quote:
Pentax k200d gets the runner-up position for best value mid-range dslr camera in 2008. This camera has weather shield body, top lcd screen. It has 11 auto focus system, deals with noise pretty well and built-in stabilizer that helps combat hand shake. The downside of this camera might be AF is not as fast as competitor and slightly slower continuous burst (only 2.8 fps), and also no live view. It is definitely not for sport or fast action photography but it will certainly suitable for many other occasions.

bottom line is the camera give you more value than many competitor models.
(Sony A350, Canon XSi, Olympus E-520 and E-30)

congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:03 pm 

Bonjour,

Great decision :!: Welcome to the Pentax users community :)

Have a look at the Pentax' camera + lenses bundles as well as available cash-back programs :roll:

More important, have fun and enjoy your new camera :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:20 pm 

Congratulations on making your decision. I struggled with a similar choice for a long time, but in the end went for the k200d as well. I've had it almost two months now and I've been very pleased. It's a great value for the features. I've loved the build quality of the camera and kit lens, weather resistance, and the viewfinder (which is considerably larger than most of its entry-level rivals'). And despite only having 2.8 fps, I haven't yet found it to be a drawback. I've been able to capture some decent fast action shots regardless.

Enjoy your new camera, and let us know how you get on with it! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:51 pm 
I just got home from the store. The K200D is finally mine. It is just sitting in the box waiting for me to open it. I think Ill go do that.

Thank you everyone for your help. I most certinally appreciate it and will continue to be part of the camera labs forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 am 

Look fwd to seeing some of your pics...critters especially :lol:
I didn't have to answer your question, you answered for me :wink:

Welcome aboard...great bunch here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:48 am 
Pentax kicks the crap outta canon or nikon at the price point. No contention what so ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:36 am 
ravenmore wrote:
Pentax kicks the crap outta canon or nikon at the price point. No contention what so ever.

thank you for your well thought out, well constructed and useful comment,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:45 am 
ravenmore wrote:
Pentax kicks the crap outta canon or nikon at the price point.

That's aqsually not so.

The only things Pentax can draw attention are their low price camera bodies,that are very good for the value. But even so,the competition has much better featured cameras that is worth saving a little more $.
As for lenses,it's the same story:
-the old 100mm macro has beautiful optics,but lacks built quality
-the newer 40mm & 70mm pancakes lenses are beautiful,but the competition offers brighter apertures at very decent prices
-the budget 55-300mm is another example,because other brands offer better optics at a lower price tag (with stabilisation included)
-the 12-24 wide has the same price tag as the Sigma version,but the later offers better control over CA & less vigneting
Pentax lenses are also known for their weakness for CA.

And the list could continue.
The most attractive Pentax lenses I consider are the DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 and the newer kit lens 17-70mm F4.

I am not saying Pentax doesn't have good glass or lenses...no way! Just that if you research & care for "the best money can buy" deals,you will came to the same conclusion as me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:05 pm 
jake.rohan wrote:
ravenmore wrote:

thank you for your well thought out, well constructed and useful comment,

you're welcome. ;) Btw, I shoot a Nikon D700 for the record.

The K20D is an example of what I'm talking about though. It's weather/dust sealed. Very well actually. I've heard rumors of someone testing a K20 body by full immersing it in water for several seconds. I'd like to validate that rumor, but having owned a K20 body I can see where its believable. Build quality is extremely robust and superior to the 50D and D90 IMO by quite a bit. It might be as good or better than the D700!

It also has image stabilization in the body, and has used the same lens mount forever. This means you can put a 30 year old lens on the body and it will be image stabilized. I bought a Tamron 70-200 2.8 for $700 and it was image stabilized on the K20. You know how much I have to spend to get the same thing for my Nikon? $1700 - $2100 depending on where I buy it. Also, you can even use screw mount and 6x7 lenses with adapters. Talk about flexibility.

It also has very effective dust cleaning for the sensor. RAW editor is included. Not so for Nikon - even with their $3k US camera. No you have to spend another $180 US for their editor.

Lastly, lets look at that price tag shall we? The Nikon and Canon equivalents are both well over $1k (well, last time I looked). The Pentax comes in substantially less. For these reason Pentax is, at least at the top two cameras in their line, a FAR better value than what Canon or Nikon offers. If you don't have any legacy gear it gets my top recommendation at that level.

There, is that better? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 pm 
Razvan wrote:
I am not saying Pentax doesn't have good glass or lenses...no way! Just that if you research & care for "the best money can buy" deals,you will came to the same conclusion as me.

I actually preferred 3rd party lenses for the most part. The Sigma 10-20mm and Tamron 28-75 were both fantastic. The Tamron 70-200 2.8 was beautiful optically but had focus issues in AF. Most of the work I do I could get away with manual focus though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:53 pm 
Yes Raven,those lenses you mentioned are indeed amazing for value/price ratio,with a in-body IS that works with any lens.
But there are so many more aspects that Pentax is lost option for photographers that want to upgrade their skill. 1st of all,you have no bodies upgrades. And the K20D sensor,I must say,it seemed a bit weaker in handling noise than the older CCD. (at least,from all the full size samples I saw) The tank-like built quality is overrated. Yes it's lovely,but for what for? You need a weather proof lens if you want to enjoy that feature,anyway.
Also,one must buy mostly third parties lenses,that must be tested a lot to be sure they're good samples. And sometimes,the extra effort is not worth it.
For example,if one chooses Canon & wants to buy the 70-200mm F4 IS,must save significantly more money compared to the Tamron option & settle with F4 instead of F2.8,but you get the IS,a weather proof high grade construction & the best optics possible in a zoom lens.
It's very debatable. Pentax so far didn't convinced me to consider their brand in the future.