Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 pm 
Hello Camera Labs!

I am VERY confused at the choices and opinions on filters out there on the web. German Glass, Green glass, Coated, Non Coated, Multi Coated, Pro Digital... My mind is racing.

I seem fairly convinced that UV filters are a must. At the very least, for lens protection. I get it!

Now: What is the difference between the coated and multi coated? Apart from the obvious... which ones are best for DSLR? I hear things about what a problem the multi coated's are to clean. Should that really be a consideration if it is the best filter to have on your lens? Is it the best kind of filter to have?

I am looking at a kit of four lenses... each one with a different filter size... this, for UV and Polarizers could run me close to $600 US for the whole deal. I am willing to go there if it's necessary... opinions?

I know this has been discussed many times in many places, but I am more confused reading all of the information than ever. Too many experts have their OWN bias and that seems rampant in their opinion... even brand bias.

Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:13 pm 

Hi Miguel, you need even more opinions :wink:
Well, here are my 2cents:
- Use UV-filters only, if you have probs keeping your front-lenses clean. I tried a long time to go without, but finally gave up (mostly due to spray from rain or the sea)
- pol-filters are very special filters, believe me. It's correct that you cannot simulate the results of a pol-filter by SW (in post-processing). But if you feel you need one, buy it first for your wide to medium-tele lenses.
- you can by a filter for the largest lens you have and adapt it to the smaller ones with step-down threads (don't know whether this is the right term :( ). This is much cheaper than buying a filter for each lens.

Now to the coating: As each filter adds two additional glass/air-borders, that is never good for IQ. What can you do to make sure that the impact of a filter on IQ is minimal? Buy a coated filter! Why? Because coated filters reduce reflections that either reduce the light going through or play ping-pong between your front-lens and the back-side of the filter.
So you need coating on both sides of the filter. And as the most effective way to stop reflections is multi-coating, if you want the best optical performance/IQ, buy multi-coated filters.
As to the manufacturers, Hoya is approved and not too expensive, B&W is approved but seems more expensive and Tiffen seems to be so-so (quality-wise). Me, I buy Hoya superHMC, but don't get any money, when I recommend them... :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:36 pm 
Clear, concise and convincing. That's what I have learned (in a very short while) to expect from Mr. tombomba2!

Thank you very much sir! Much appreciated for clarity and speed of response.

Yes, everything seemed to be right in things that I was reading... but I have been reading so much bias that I wasn't sure which way to go.

Question, have you had any challenges with your Hoya filters? How long have you used them? When do they come most in handy for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:56 pm 
Oh, and what's the difference between UV, UV-Haze, and Haze?

Looking for UV filters... does the Haze filtering addition get in the way of the UV?... is it what UV's do anyway and there are just some brands that put that in the name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:44 am 

You're welcome!
A UV-filter should be absolutely clear, as it should only block UV-rays, which are not visible to the eye.
A Skylight-filter (sometimes denoted as "KR ยก.5") has a very light "orangeish" tint to work against the blueish color cast that you get with certain outdoor conditions.
A Haze-filter is according to Tiffen a stronger UV-filter (see here). They sell "Haze 1" and "Haze 2a" and according to the photos on their website these filters are clear like UV-filters. Hoya doesn't sell such filters but says of its UV-filter: "Absorbs the ultraviolet rays which often makes outdoor photographs hazy and indistinct". B+W too don't sell "Haze"-filters.

As to protecting our front-lens, a normal UV-filter will do. I would avoid any colored filters.
I have a UV- and Pol-filter only for my most-used lens, the 18-200mm. The UV-filter is always on and I don't use a lens-cap anymore (lost it). Cleaning was no prob so far, but once the filter was hard to unscrew.
The Pol-filter is used by me only in 5 out of 5000 pics. It takes away around 2EV of light and you constantly have to watch to have it set to the right angle, and the effect is very special so I don't need it often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:40 am 
Thank you once again. I had my suspicions of the polarizers, and you set me straight. I think I will ONLY get them for my mid rangers as well. No need to have them on my Macro... at least for now.

You've saved me quite a bit of money!

I look forward to posting my upcoming kit very soon.