Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Leica's refresh rate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:49 pm 

G'day guys,

So I was wondering if anyone knew how often Leica releases camera bodies for its M range. I wasn't into Leica until reviews of the M9 came pouring out and it was only until the M-E came out that I got within reach of owning one, but before I dive in, Id like to know if anyone thinks its better to just get the recently released M-E and enjoy a few years of owning a camera that's new in terms of release date, or wait another 1-2 years for the M240 and potentially have a new Leica released soon after.

Anyone here also think that a 50mm is a good starting lens for both street and say, family get togethers? Or would you guys think that a 35mm is more versatile. (Keeping in mind I can only afford the 50mm Summarit, or get the Zeiss 35... the Leica 35 is just too far out of my reach.)

@Bjorn thankyou for the advice, Ive been saving for almost 3 years and I really wanted off on this campaign so thanks for pointing me to the M-E.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject: Re: Leica's refresh rate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:04 am 

Another bit of advice: go for the 35mm if you want to do family get togethers. I've been managing, sort of, with the 50mm, but it's hard sometimes. 35mm is much more practical in that regard. 50mm is great for street shots if you like the classic style of Cartier-Bresson and the likes. If you're more into Bruce Gilden or Moriyama, the 35mm would be better for that too.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:46 pm 

You could do with a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm 1.2 ASPH II lens as well...

One of the best lenses of Voigtlander, its far less expensive than a Summilux and offers a very low light ability also, the sharpness of a Summicron ASPH!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 am 

I heard GREAT things about this Voigtlander lens. I shot with it on a Fuji X Pro 1 and it was super fun to use, I just don't have the eye to tell the difference between lenses when it comes to sharpness, but I CAN see the difference between the Summilux and the Voigtlander 50mm 1.1. I wasn't completely impressed. But if most leica shooters recommend this, I may just go with the Summarit 50 and the Nokton 35 and call it quits for now.

Thanks for the advice.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Removed unnecessary quote. Please quote responsibly.