Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:36 pm 
Hello all.

Another DSLR newbie here.

Right now its between the Nikon D40 and the Sony A200. I finally was able to get to Ritz last night and play with both. The Sony felt really good in my hands but unfortunately their battery wasn't charged so I couldn't play with anymore than just holding it.

I think I've pretty much made up my mind but question for all Sony users:

What would you tell someone if their indecision was based on Nikon's great reputation? What features would you say would push you towards the Sony?

TIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm 
Speaking from an alpha mind:

why I would not go for the nikon: 3-point af system, only autofocus with lenses who have it in their lens, "only" 6.1 mgp, no compact flash.

why I would go for the sony: Super Steady shot, 10 mgp, autofocus build in the body, 9-point af system

So yes I went for the Sony, but mine decision was mainly based on the fact that I could get this one very cheap, a decision I haven't regret for a moment though.

This are only the features that I find important, the nikon d40 is not a bad camera, its just 'diferent', so what do you find important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm 
I would say that the Sony has more dynamic range, the super steady shot that comes built in for all lenses, the eye-focus thing, a good kitlens range to start with and i think above all the fact that Sony are making sensors for more than 15 DSRL's in the market, including some Nikons.
As an Alpha user i advise you to go for the A200, i love it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:09 pm 
I'll echo the above 2 posts, go for Alpha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:40 pm 
btw, I would also post the question in the nikon topic because people are probably not going to recommend the nikon here anyway as there are only sony users reading this topic :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:04 pm 
TheForce wrote:
btw, I would also post the question in the nikon topic because people are probably not going to recommend the nikon here anyway as there are only sony users reading this topic :wink:

And a Nikon user who recommends a D40 over an A200 is just plain daft. I'd even go so far as to say that the A200 is a clear cut winner over the D60, nevermind the D40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:27 am 
Thanks for the replies all!

TheForce wrote:

why I would not go for the nikon: 3-point af system, only autofocus with lenses who have it in their lens, "only" 6.1 mgp, no compact flash.

why I would go for the sony: Super Steady shot, 10 mgp, autofocus build in the body, 9-point af system

Sorry for dumb questions but what is 3 vs 9-point AF system mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:59 am 
CtO wrote:
Thanks for the replies all!

TheForce wrote:

Sorry for dumb questions but what is 3 vs 9-point AF system mean?

The number of points on an AF system simply means how many AF Areas you, or the camera, have to choose from when focusing.

So a 3-point AF system will have 3 Auto Focus points engraved or projected in the Viewfinder, which will allow you to tell the camera, or have the camera focus on any of the 3 points.

The 9 point or any other number point is essentially the same thing. There are just more AF points scattered in the viewfinder/camera..

All in all, the number of AF points shouldn't be the determining factor for your future purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 pm 

TheForce, I would recommend a Nikon if it were the right one. A D300 is better than the A700, more expensive though. However, A200 is simply better than the D40, lots of reasons mentioned already. :)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:48 pm 

TheForce wrote:
why I would not go for the nikon: 3-point af system, only autofocus with .......

I never know why people find this important. I never use more then 1 AF-point :D :D........ No really, I never use more then 1 AF-point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16 pm 
Same for me. I use local in the center. Sometimes i've tried the others but never really uses it. I even just point, focus and point back or use manual if i don't need the center focus'd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 am 
As the others above, I got the A200 and love it, glad I did not get the Nikon, not that it is a bad camera .
The Sony has a whole lot going for it, and it is just as good at a lot less cost.

Also as to the focus points, I use them for night and late day shots. But like the center for most of my shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:33 pm 

I use all of the focus points actually. Don't like making centre-compostions, and it's easier and quicker to use the focus point that's closest to where I want the subject to be. And for portraits, it's useful to use the most left or right focus point, again for the composition.
I do however use the centre point as well, for darker situations (it's more accurate).

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:40 pm 

Uhhhhhh... Bjorn, ever heard of 'Focus-lock'. If not, look it up in the a700 manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:09 pm 
HoodedOne wrote:
Uhhhhhh... Bjorn, ever heard of 'Focus-lock'. If not, look it up in the a700 manual.

Mmmm can be a useful method but in some situations the focus-recompose technique should be used with caution. See here for details:

http://www.visual-vacations.com/Photogr ... _sucks.htm

Mark