Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:11 am 
I am now considering the Sony DSLR since I can get it at a very good price, but I would prefer an 18-200 general purpose lens as opposed to the standard lens kit. What do you know about this lens, and would it be just as easy to use a non-autofocus lens for a new DSLR user, assuming I can deal with manual focusing all the time with ease, are there pros and cons for this lens, are there non-proprietary AF lenses that would work well with the Sony A100, etc.?
Although I would far prefer the D80, I can get the Sony for $599 with standard lens kit, so much less money than any D80 packages at this time, and far more available.
Thanks again, I have officially become addicted to this site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:08 am 
Hi Avesong - I saw your other messages and thought you'd go for the D80! I guess that price on the A100 is pretty hard to beat...

I have never seen the Sony 18-200mm lens, but I once heard a rumour the Minolta 18-200mm was made by Sigma. If Sony has just rebranded the old Minolta lens, then chances it it could be the same as the Sigma 18-200mm.

If it is, then it will be small and light and good value, but not as fast or good quality as lenses like the Nikkor 18-200mm. A friend who had a Sigma 18-200mm also said it wasn't that quick at focusing, which might be fine if you shoot landscapes, but might be too slow for wildlife, sports or candid portraits - depends what you're into. It's always a good idea to try them in and outside a shop!

I also heard Tamron has a new 18-250mm coming out, but I don't know when or whether it'll be any good.

18-200mm is a great range though. And if you aren't swapping lenses, you dont need to worry about dust!

As far as I know, all the 18-200mm lenses have autofocus, so you wont need to worry about manual focus unless you want to.

Ferg

Post subject: Thanks for the info!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:13 pm 
Hi FergUK
Thanks for the Sony lens information!

First of all, I will preface this by admitting I have deep regrets about the liklihood of NOT getting the D80, it really seemed like the ideal camera for me, but I am having to weigh out the benefits of the cost difference, which would honestly be the only reason. Plus, the Nikkor 18-200mm is apparently difficult to find in stock, and those stores (in the US) that state they have it available have jacked up the price quite a bit in order to take advantage of us poor, deperate camera buffs who are not willing to wait out the shortage of supply versus demand.

That being said, I have not yet purchased the Sony, though I am leaning towards that option. I am afraid that as the holidays approach, the D80 and lenses will become even more unavailable, or so the market would like us to believe and thus "force" us to pay even more.

I really do not want to purchase a mediochre lens, as it sounds like the "Sony" 18-200 might be. I definitely shoot wildlife and candid shots, and would not wish to compromise my ability to work or play in that area. It may be some time before Sony comes out with an equally good selection of lenses as is offered by Nikkor.

So, your comments have left me even more befuddled than before, but I thank you for helping me solidify my choice. I feel as though this is a major purchase, and my decision should reflect that. I still like idea of the D80 in that I might not "need" to upgrade, whereas with the Sony, should a new, improved version come out within a year or so, I feel I might regret owning the first A100.

As I write all of this, I hear me trying to convince myelf that the Sony is not the camera I really want. All this vacillating between cameras is getting to me! And I am so anxious to begin using a DSLR! Foliage season is about to peak here in Vermont. The colors are brilliant this year!

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:11 am 

Hello
I have just purchased the Sony and very happy, excellent camera. :D
I do have a question on this 18-200 lens. How good is it?
Is it possible to do a review on this lens and compare it to the Tamron, Nikor and Sigma?

I seriously looked at the Canon 400 but it felt too small, like a finger too small. Liked the feel and handling of this camera much better and a great set of features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Maxjj, welcome to Cameralabs!

I haven't tested the Sony branded 18-200mm, but I also heard the rumour which FergUK mentioned earlier in this thread. So if the lens looks approximately the same size and shape and weight as the Sigma, it may well be the same model. In which case it's pretty good for a budget priced lens, but of course if they are the same, you should also compare the price with the Sigma original.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:46 am 

thanks for your prompt reply.
Was just curious because I like the flexibility of one lens.

What does not seem to get mentioned much is how much more learning you do with a DSLR, as you can instantly see your photo and ways of improving it. When you look at monitor later you get the full gambit of information. Trying to remember settings and waiting for film to be developed was never my strong point. I have learned more in the past week ( or is that I did not realize how much I had forgotten) than in years of film photography.
Am quite impressed with the Sony and additionally liked the bonus of being able to use existing Minolta lenses and filter.
The antishake works a treat with the long lenses and makes low light conditions a breeze.