Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am 
Hello.
I've been looking around on the internet, about the APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM. And it looks very interesting for me.
I do have one thing i worry about, do anyone know how fast it would focus on an a200? And has anyone perhaps tried it out on an Alpha camera?

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 pm 

I think this review of photozone.de might help you... It's on a Nikon mount, but the difference between the mounts can't be so big.

Cheers!

-VP-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:37 pm 

Let me link to the official Sigma page for the 70-200mm f/2.8. Just make sure you'll get the one on that page. There are earlier versions which do not have the HSM feature, and these will focus much slower.
Too bad there are no reviews of the lens at Dyxum.com, you'd be able to read whether the lens is fast there, among other useful information.

Expect the focus to be fast though. The HSM of the lens is equivalent to Sony's SSM, and I can tell you from experience, that is super-fast. this YouTube video will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

Nice choice BTW. I'd like to see this lens compared against the one I'll buy at the end of this month...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:00 pm 
Thanks. But i do believe to have read somewhere, that the HSM isn't on the one for sony :/
But i think i'll go to my local cameradealer, and see if they have it (:

EDIT:

Just saw the comments on the video you linked to, and it said that it was the non HSM. But would it be as fast on an a200, or even close do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:30 pm 

The non-HSM version won't be quite that fast. It won't be slow though, and it will be fast enough if your expectations are not too high.
However, if you have the money to buy the HSM version, get it (see the link the HSM version for Sony is new and might not be available everywhere yet).
Didn't read the comments on the video, but the HSM wil make the focus even faster than shown there... And that's great, right?!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:42 pm 
That's just awsome then :P But i've heard that HSM doesn't work on a200. Only on the a700? ;/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:45 pm 

Good question (that's what people say when they don't know the answer, right). I don't know. I think it will work. I googled a little, and found another forum which states that SSM, and HSM as well, will work on all Alpha bodies, which I would consider more likely. The A200 is a relatively new camera, so it'll probably support HSM. However, it might be wise to contact either Sony or Sigma for 100% certainty.

It will probably work though, can't see a reason why it shouldn't.

EDIT: after some more googling I read that a Sigma representative says the HSM is compatible with the current range of Alpha DSLRs, only the earlier A100 might have difficulties with it.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:33 am 
I wrote a mail to a camera store, who sells it. And they actually didn't have an answer. Even though they sent it to the leader of the lens department who sent a mail to Sigma. So they've probably miunderstood what i wrote.

I will send a mail either to Sony or Sigma (and perhaps both), and will inform what they answer.

Thanks for the effort to help me Vintanah & Bjorn

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:16 pm 
http://www.alphamountworld.com/forums/s ... 2008-5/733

Link to forum about the HSM and a200. (: If anyone's interested

And it appears that HSM do work on the a200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm 

Good to hear the A200 support HSM. Now just make sure you won't get the old version of the lens, which doesn't have HSM :D .

Only 12 more days, I'll finally have the Sony 70-200mm, with SSM! :x Can't stand waiting much longer, but I have to, still waiting for my salary.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:09 pm 
Yeah i will :P But it'll be some (alot) time before i maybe get it.

How long have you been saving for it now?