Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A700 + 16/80
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 pm 
Hi!

It's done, I've finally bought the A700/16-80 combo!

I've read contradictory statements saying that the Sony filter VF-62MPAM used with the CZ16-80 lens would not be compatible with the use of the hood or even the lens cap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 pm 

Congratulations. As an owner of the exact same combination, I'm sure you'll enjoy the camera and lens. Tip: If you don't have one already, get yourself a flash gun. I've had one since April, and it's the best accessory I could have ever bought. Read my review here.

EDIT:
You can use the filter together with the hood and lens cap. The hood fits round the lens, and the filter is no larger than the lens, so the hood fits around that too. The lens cap can be attached on the front of the filter.

I'd recommend using the hood at all times, so leave it on every time you put the camera in your bag. Unless you're using the pup-up flash at wider focal lengths (eg. 16mm), it won't appear in your image (at 16mm with flash, you'll see a shadow).
Best is to use all of them, hood, cap and filter. Leave the hood and filter on at all times, and only use the lens cap when the camera is in your bag or if you're not using it for a longer time.
Of course, the filter is there to protect the front element of the Zeiss lens, but it's wise to use the lens cap, because that's cheaper to replace than the filter.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:13 pm 

Congrats with your purchase! I can only confirm what Bjorn has stated above. The hood and cap are compatible with the VF-62MPAM. The cap is a bit harder to clip on with the filter attached, but that's nothing to really worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 pm 
Ok guys thanks a lot for the information. I use a Hoya Super HMC Pro1 filter with my R1 but I wanted "to offer" a T* coated filter to the 16/80 lens.

It's weird because I've sent an email to Sony and they have replied few minutes ago that the Sony filter could not be used with the lens cap nor the hood!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:10 pm 

Not all people who work for Sony know all the answers. Keep in mind that not everything a salesperson or in this case a Sony rep tells you, is the truth. Sometimes, and I speak from experience, they're just too lazy to do something for the customer. If someone comes to me (at the bookstore) and ask for something that would take me hours of searching, I'll say we don't have it but that it can be ordered (so I don't have to search all the shelves for one particular book). :D The Sony person must have though: I don't know? What should I reply. He/she made the wrong decision to tell you the filter won't work with the lenshood and cap.

This proves that Sony still has some work to do on improving their helpdesk. Teach them some of the basics, please...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:35 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:

If someone comes to me (at the bookstore) and ask for something that would take me hours of searching, I'll say we don't have it but that it can be ordered (so I don't have to search all the shelves for one particular book). :D
- Bjorn -

:lol:
I also wanted to buy the 50mm1.4 but the guy in the photostore told me that they don't have it but they could order one. Maybe he was also too lazy to search for it!!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:36 am 

Well, in a photography store, there's probably not as many products as in a bookstore, and the products are easier to look for. All Sony lenses come in the orange-coloured box, and so they're easily seen on the storage-shelves. However, not all photography stores are large enough to have all kinds of lenses in stock, so they'd rather have those which are bought more often (even though the 50mm is such a lens) and order the ones which are requested by customers.
The problem in the bookstore is that it's impossible to know all authors and titles of books. Books are divided into categories, but how should I know in which catergory a book goes? I usually look up in the computer whether we've received the particular book the customer asks for. If that delivery has been made recently, there's a chance the books are still in the store, and then I'll start seaching. Are you still reading? Probably not :) .

- Bjorn -