Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:17 pm 
Hey

I was just wondering what you'd guys think i should invest my money. I would like to get the a900 but i know that if i do i wont be able to purchase the lenses that i would want. But i could get the lenses if i was to purchase the a700 instead. I fear that if i was to get the a900 that i would be limited to 1 lens, but i also fear that if i invest in the a700 that i would be upgrading to a new model sooner than if i would have the a900
I have had a history of alpha products, using my dad's a100 for many great shots. I love the way it handles and i want a camera thats much more advanced but is still in the sony chain. I just was wondering what you guys would suggest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:32 pm 

If you're at all serious about the A900, then for starters wait until more is known about it. Advising beyond that is difficult. Also consider the speculation of a possible A700 replacement.

For sure, you can get an A700 and several great lenses for what the A900 is rumoured to go for. I also wonder if going from borrowing an A100 to owning an A900 is a bit of a big step.

If you really can't wait, then as a radical solution, I suggest the A200. The A200 is cheap enough that it can almost be considered disposable compared to the A900. It will get you going and you can start acquiring some good lenses. Then later on once more is known about future models, you can decide how far up to jump. And the A200 will still be useful to keep as a 2nd body for those occasions when lens swapping is inconvenient.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:19 pm 
I know it seems like a big step but i have borrowed an a100 for the better part of this year, and i have really taken to photography. I enjoy taking pictures of pretty much anything but really enjoy taking nature shots, such as landscapes and animals. I have always found the a100 loud and horrible with ISO above 400. Its impossible to get up early and take good shots of birds and landscapes when you need to turn up the ISO, but it ruins the picture. I also would like to have something that i could possibly get into the semi-pro buisness and work with a pro, without the need to upgrade.I have heard about the a700 replacement, and i would most likely buy that but i would like to get the camera before the holiday season comes around, and i dont think that the a700 replacement will be out before that. Now i know people will think this is a rash decision to go from a a100 to a a700 or a900, but i would like you guys to give me your decision as if you were making the decision. I think this would help me out a lot. Thanks popo about suggesting the a200, ill give it some consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:15 pm 

It is always hard to balance what with when. But with a rumoured imminent announcement of A900, I think it is also worth waiting until Photokina for any late surprises before any decision is made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:43 am 
This is somewhat of a personal question. It all depends on how much total you are ready to spend.

The A700 is roughly $ 1,099.99 dollars. (Noticed a price drop from a couple of weeks ago!)

The A900 is going to be roughly $2,900-$3,000 dollars.

Now it's hard to say what all the advantages will be when comparing the A700 to A900, but things that are certain are full frame, ISO sensitivity, and huge megapixel count.

If you want the A900 and know that you will use it and gain from it, then I suggest that you 'invest' in that along with a lens to start with.

But if you want to create a 'bigger' foundation with a good body, and more 'good' lenses, then go for the A700.

For instance, you can get a A700 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 for a little less than the price of the A900 body...

Do I suggest that kit ^ for what you do? Eh', not really. Unless you plan on doing weddings soon.

All I'm saying is that you need to look at your budget and determine how much you want and can spend for a camera/lens.

I don't plan on immediately purchasing the A900 when it is released. I'm going to wait for some reviews and tests, and personally test it out before I make any decisions. I suggest you do that too.

Best,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:25 am 

My advice, go for the A700 with some very good lenses. It's not the camera that is most important, the photographer's talent (1) and the lenses (2) are.
The A700, the Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM and the 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM should keep you happy for a while, perhaps get some primes as well.
You'd have to combine the A900 with a non-DT lens (you could use it in crop-mode, buy why would you buy it then?). Then, if you want good quality, you'd need to buy expensive lenses, so the whole purchase would be equivalent to a small car.
I'm not stopping you from buying the A900 though. If you have the money, and you don't mind spending even more on some high-quality lenses, go ahead and buy it. Just make sure you'll give us a User Review.

I wish I had your money :( .

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 pm 
well thanks all for the advice
I have made the decision to get the a700 and some great lenses. I know it would be great to get the a900 but (like you said Bjorn) it would the cost of a small car after i would get a set of good lenses to go with the a900. I much rather start with a good body like the a700 and have a great foundation with lenses so that in a couple of years when i may need an upgrade i will have the lenses under my belt to purchase something like a a1400. :lol: Anyhow i would just like to thank everyone for their help one making my decision, but if it wouldn't be too much to ask i would like to ask what lenses would you guys suggest. I would like a good telephoto (for birds and wildlife) and a good flash with a nice lens to use it with. What do you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:55 pm 

On the value end of high quality, there is the 70-300G. Long range, great reviews all round on its sharpness, SSM, price that wont hurt, but not the brightest.

If you want longer range, there's the just announced 70-400G but you'll have to wait for reviews to confirm performance and the cost will be quite a bit more.

For quite an insane zoom range, the Bigma (Sigma 50-500) seems popular with wildlife hunters. Decent quality considering the range and not astronomically priced.

Good flash wise check out Bjorn's review in the user review section. When you say a lens for the flash, I assume a general wide-short tele zoom? For starters consider the Sony 16-105, or the CZ16-80 for a bit more. Next step up in quality is the CZ24-70 but the price is quite a bit up too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 pm 

Nice :D , let's talk high end lenses! For links to the product mentioned below, and more accessories for Alpha DSLRs, please check out the Alpha compatible Lenses and Accessories guide.

High-end (higher budget, but more affordable):
- Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM (don't get the 16-80 'cause you won't be able to use that on FF, unless you'd use crop mode)
- Sony 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G SSM or, if you're budget allows it, the 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM (last one is the prefered option)
- 50mm f/1.4
- 100mm f/2.8 macro

Then, my favourite fantasies come together, higest-end gear:
- Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM
- Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM

- Sony 1.4x teleconverter (to be used with lens above)
- Zeiss 85mm f/1.4
- Sony 50mm f/1.4
- Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro
- Sony 16mm f/2.8 fish-eye (if you want to get creative).

That's what I would attempt to buy if I were you. However, if you still have some money left, consider these:
- 20 or 28mm f/2.8
- Zeiss 135mm f/1.8
- Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8 SSM (not available just yet)
- Sony 300mm f/2.8 (warning: VERY EXPENSIVE)

OK, that's just fantasy-talk, I guess. I'd be shocked if you'd actually be able to buy all of those :D .

As for accessories, the HVL-F58AM flash gun might be the best option. I've had the HVL-F42AM for quite a while, and though I love it, I think it might have been wise to go for the 58 version, because now, I want to upgrade. The 58 costs more, but I believe it's worth the extra money in the end.
Also look for the VG-C70AM battery grip for the A700. It might not seem very neccessary, but holding the camera vertically is a lot more comfortable with a grip attached, and your batterylife is doubled as well.
Furthermore: memory cards, filters for the lenses, extra battery/ies, extra soft neckstrap, large bag to carry all that gear, a rocket blower, a tripod with head, etc. etc. ....

Does that help you out? Probably not. Therefore, I've made the options worth considering most, bold.
Non of the Sony lens are highly recommended for wildlife photography, they're a little short. The 70-400mm might be the best option in that case, because the 300mm (especially with teleconverter) costs as much as a small car (again :D ). I think you should avoid high zoom lenses (like the 50-500mm and 170-500mm) from Sigma, because the loss of quality with those long ranges are big.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:13 pm 
Well Thanks for everything guys
This really helped me out. Ill let you guys know when i finally get it, but it probably won't be before October. Anyhow thanks Bjorn, popo and, Sdrummer you helped alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:28 pm 

Not a problem, we love to help you out!
Just make sure you'll inform us about what you buy and show some results! :D

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:35 pm 
I'll make sure i do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 pm 

Oh, almost forgot. Perhaps a strange request, but I'll just go ahead and ask you. Once you have your gear, could you make an unboxing video? I love watching those, no matter what camera or lens. I'm sure other members will like it too.
However, don't make the unboxing video the first time you unbox the camera/lens, that spoils all the fun of unboxing (I can tell from experience).

Please :( , can we expect some vids?

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:04 pm 
I'll try to do some vids. I've never done a video and put it onine so, we'll just have to see what will happen. If i cant get the vids to work I'll make a detailed report of everything, with pictures and samples. I'll let you know whats happening when I get the camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:55 pm 

Unboxing pictures are also superb. And if you don't know how to get the unboxing video all edited up (basic edit) and get it online, you're welcome to email me the raw video. I'd be happy to edit and upload the video for you :D .
Or, if you need some instructions on how to get in online, just ask. We're happy to help you out.
So, how long till you get your new gear? Only 14 / 13 more days till I get the 70-200mm. I've been saving since April, so I can't wait...

- Bjorn -