Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 pm 
I am considering purchasing a Minolta 2500D flash for an A300 camera. I haven't had a lot of luck finding reviews on that flash, though the few that are out there speak highly of it. I realize it has a low guide # and not much versatility, but I mainly want something small and portable to provide increased output over the camera flash and reduce red eye. And as a light boost to avoid noisey photos with a zoom. I would mostly be using it for closeups indoors. The price tag is much more appealing, as well. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:58 pm 

For all Alpha compatible Minolta flashes, check out this Sony Support page. You'll find all the available info there.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:59 pm 
Thanks, Bjorn. I did see that when I was Googling, and a chart that mhohner did that was helpful. Just wanted to find out what the concensus was concerning the quality of the flash for what I'd like it to do. Since it's a "D" flash, it should work fine with the Alpha cameras. But I do want to make sure I'm not overlooking something important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:11 pm 

Some things you should consider:
- Does the flash support all the camera's features (TTL-metering, distance information)?
- Isn't it too small? If the flash is low, using it with a lens that has a hood attached, might cause a shadow in the lower part of the image.

It's also very useful if the flash head can move, not only upwards, but sideways as well. From the image of the 2500D, I'm not quite sure it can move.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:27 pm 
I know it's a Nikon flash, but the hot shoe mount is universal isnt it? Why not get a SB-400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:38 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
but the hot shoe mount is universal isnt it?

Is it? I'm not so sure. I've read that the Minolta, now Sony, hotshoe was unlike all others and so universal flashes couldn't be used on it. Not sure though...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:13 pm 

The Sony Hotshoe is NOT universal. So, only flashes which are specially made for the Sony will fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:10 pm 
With Sony, it's impossible. And I highly doubt you could just stick an SB-400 on say, a Canon 400D. I've read you might be able to pull it off with an SB-600/800 on manual, but even there I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 pm 
HoodedOne wrote:
The Sony Hotshoe is NOT universal. So, only flashes which are specially made for the Sony will fit.

Correct.

But it doesn't mean you can't use 3rd party flashes with it. The simple solution is to get a fairly cheap Sony/Minolta flash mount off of eBay, and just use that on top of your camera and shoot away.

That also allows you to use a PC sync cable if you want for off-camera flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:29 pm 
I think I'd like to stick to the Sony/Minolta mount just for the ease of it--am not really needing to worry about off-camera shots at this point.

On the charts offered by Sony support, for the 2500D it states TTL flash metering: N/A. But it says P-TTL Flash Metering: OK. So is that telling me that TTL metering only works in Program mode? It states the same answers for the 36AM flash that Sony has out, which is a copycat flash of Minolta that was designed for use with Sony's Alpha cameras. So I'm assuming the main functions would work just as well (?).

You're right--I do run the risk of shadowing with longer lenses... But surely it's better than the on-camera flash? Basically I'm trying to upgrade the on-camera flash without adding something large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:32 pm 
Bjorn,

To answer your previous question, the flash can tilt 90 degrees but not rotate. At this point, I'm fine with that. I'm just looking for a cheaper fix that isn't $200-$300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:50 pm 

If the Minolta flash has similar compatibilty as the HVL-F36AM, I'm sure it will do fine as a budget option. I've found not only tilting but also rotating the flash head comes in very useful, but then again: you will have to buy a larger and more expensive flash for that.

- Bjorn -