Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:12 pm 
When a lens is full frame does it work on a cropped frame

I was looking at this lens on ebay as an example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=001

would it fit on a a300 (assuming the mount is ok)

what the effect of putting a full frame lens on a cropped body and vice versa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm 
It does work on cropped sensors but your focal length is multiplied, so the 12-24 would become something like an 18-36mm lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:46 pm 
They say this lens fits only Sigma cameras so it would not fit your Sony A300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:01 pm 
is that the same multiplication that any lens would get from a cropped frame? ... i.e. if i got the sony 11-18mm its lower end would be comparable?

The sigma website says the lens fits sony as well :s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 pm 
jiffk wrote:
is that the same multiplication that any lens would get from a cropped frame? ... i.e. if i got the sony 11-18mm its lower end would be comparable?

Sigma make different versions of their lenses for different brand of cameras. So they make a 12-24 for a Nikon, for a Canon, for a Sony etc. but they are different lenses and the Sigma lenses built for Nikons won't fit on Canon or Sony cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm 
jiffk wrote:

Yes, any DSLR that uses an APS-C sized sensor will have a zoom factor of 1.5 compared to the traditional full frame DSLR and film cameras. That means that your 12 - 18 mm lens will will be equivalent to 18 - 27mm on the APS-C sensors.

You should multiply all focal lengths you see by 1.5 if you want to work out what it actually is on an APS-C sensor.

Quote:

Sigma makes lenses for most cameras. However, each lens mount (i.e. the connector that links the lens to the camera) is different. So a Sigma lens that has the Nikon AF mount will not work on Canon and Sony cameras and vice versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:31 am 

Keep in mind that the Sigma 12-24mm will fit on future full frame bodies, but the Sony 11-18mm won't. If you think you might buy a full frame camera some day, the Sigma may be a better choise. Just make sure you get the Sony-mount version though :D.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux