Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:21 pm 

For me no problem so far with the neck strap... I agree it could be padded, but instead buying another neck strap I'll buy a hand strap, here Tobywuk made a good review...

Cheers.

-VP-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 pm 

I think the STP-SS2AM neckstrap is the best Sony option available. Sony says it's made of softer material than the supplied strap.
Look at the straps from Op/Tech as well, in this video you'll see a professional uses these with his 1Ds MkII, a pretty heavy camera, so his neck doesn't hurt.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
I think the STP-SS2AM neckstrap is the best Sony option available. Sony says it's made of softer material than the supplied strap.
Look at the straps from Op/Tech as well, in this video you'll see a professional uses these with his 1Ds MkII, a pretty heavy camera, so his neck doesn't hurt.

- Bjorn -

I'd go with the op/tech they make some wonderful straps. Also that guy in the video--Bert Stephani, AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHER if you have a youtube account subscribe.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:46 pm 

JakeOConnell wrote:
I'd go with the op/tech they make some wonderful straps. Also that guy in the video--Bert Stephani, AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHER if you have a youtube account subscribe.

I love Bert's videos. Check out my YouTube profile (hbphotography700) and go to the subscriptions. You'll find a link to his channel there, as well as a link to prophotolife's channel, which I think is even better.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:29 pm 
Thanks again for all the advice on this website, it is appreciated.

I've bought a lowepro voyager C strap and it is fine, lot better than the one supplied.

I've been on a spending spree on ebay, amazon, etc. I've bought the magic lantern guidebook for A200, neck strap, a 5ft tripod, rucksack, cleaning kit, hand strap, lens hood, lowepro rezo 160 bag. One thing I noticed is everyone has been very helpful so far. I asked the ebay seller about the lens hood, he took the time to check for me, emailed me back, the sale was only £5.50. (I'm Lostboyuk if you come across me on ebay). The only thing I have been stung with so far was I bought a small 6" tripod, I thought what the hell for £3 inc postage, I'd just like to warn people against this item, it wouldn't even hold the weight of my compact camera, cheap plastic screws:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0282797810
£3 wasn't much anyway.

My Sony neck strap which came with the A200 (less than a month ago) is now spare, I will give it away if anyone on here wants it. I don't want anything for it, I will post it anywhere in the world. If you have a use for it then PM me, you can have it for free.

I am still clueless what I am doing, this is all new to me, my next photographic "assignment" is the concert on 29th this month which I have a photo pass for.

My next purchase is another lens. My A200 came with 18-70mm, I want a 200 or 300mm. Not jumping straight in and buying the first one I see from Hong Kong, I am looking round this site, reading, watching, learning, £140 on amazon for a 75-300mm lens is a lot of money to lose when you don't know what you are doing.

Thank you again for this site, godsend!!

Edit 2 hours after posting: The neck strap has now gone, it's going to Canada on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:34 am 

Thefirewitch wrote:
I've bought a lowepro voyager C strap and it is fine, lot better than the one supplied... I've bought the magic lantern guidebook for A200, neck strap, a 5ft tripod, rucksack, cleaning kit, hand strap, lens hood, lowepro rezo 160 bag. ... a small 6" tripod ...

Wow, you sure bought quite a lot of new gear! May I ask: why did you buy a lens hood? Sony supplies one with all lenses. Or did yours come without a hood?
Have fun with all this new gear! And at the concert of course! I'd love to shoot a concert some time...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:13 am 
No, I didn't get a lens hood with it, just checked in the box again. I got the A200 with 18-70mm lens, no hood with it. I bought this hood:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0189214996

I got lucky with the tripod, it is like new:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0249787022

I'm still waiting for the hand strap to come from Hong Kong.

I'm looking for an additional lens now, can't afford the 18-300mm Sony right now, spent a lot this month, I think I will go for the Sigma 55-200mm for £100. The reviews seem better than the Tamron in my price range. I don't really want to spend more than £150 on a lens at the moment. I'm looking around this site, clicking compare prices.

With the camera I got the lowepro holster TLZ15 bag, but when you start buying other things you start to realise it's not much use! I shopped around and got this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rucksack-Bag-For- ... 0255422506

Obviously there are people on here who know what they are talking about and very knowledgeable but as a beginner in DSLR I can recommend all the above, hope this helps other beginners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:20 pm 

As you can see on this Sony page, the lens hood is also supplied with the 18-70mm. Strange you didn't get one.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:47 pm 
Yeah it comes with a lens hood, but it's like 2 cm.
I've actually never understood the importance of a lens hood, is it to prevent sun when taking picture's outside? To prevent flare etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:53 pm 

0eyvind wrote:
... is it to prevent sun when taking picture's outside? To prevent flare etc.

Yes, exactly. And to protect the front element from dust and scratches, although the 18-70mm's hood is indeed too small for that.
The problem with the third-party hood might be that it appears in the image at wide focal lengths or casts a (bigger) shadow when using the pop-up flash.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 am 
Nope, no lens hood with mine but no problem, only a few £s for one.
Yesterday I decided to buy a Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 DC Lens. Cost £105 inc delivery, I'm waiting for that now. I couldn't really afford a better lens after spending about £420 already on the camera and accessories.

My next question is about a UV filter... Should I use one all the time for outdoor shots or just in sunlight? Do they have an adverse affect on the shot if it is say overcast and not sunny?? Again, they are only £5 so I will get one of those to play with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:19 pm 

One would usually buy a UV-filter for protection only. The use you get from them is not as relevant these days as it was in the age of film, where UV light effected the photos.
So for protection of the front element (that's a lot more expensive to replace than a filter), you might want to get a UV-filter. However, if you buy the cheapest one available, the quality of the glass won't be as good, and so the final results will be less sharp.
I've already bought a Sony protecting filter (77mm) for the 70-200mm (which I don't even have yet), so it will be protected from the moment I unbox it. The Sony filter, which Zeiss T* coating, is, however, a lot more expensive...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:10 pm 
Thank you for the help and advice, it is appreciated. I have contacted where I got the camera from, they are sending me a hood. It is missing. I have looked on the net, your link to Sony page, the 2cm ring on the front of the lens isn't there. No probs now.

I can go a bit more expensive for a UV filter, one thing I have found out is you get what you pay for, more money, better quality. I take photos mainly outdoors (Barcelona) and concerts, that is what I am aiming my knowledge towards.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:15 am 

If you shoot outdoors mainly, look for a polarising filter as well, to saturate those sunlit colours of Barcelona and get deep blue skies.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:54 pm 

Thefirewitch wrote:
Edit 2 hours after posting: The neck strap has now gone, it's going to Canada on Monday.

You’re a Gentleman and a Scholar, I received it today.
Many thanks