Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:16 am 
Hi Fellow members of Camera Labs,

Do you think the Vertical Battery Grip is the same both A900 & A700 since it is so well built?

http://www.dphotojournal.com/new-sony-a ... r-cameras/

Haha, I hope Sony will make VG-C70AM & NP-FM500H usable for A900 as well. Then the Advance Sony User will be more than happy to upgrade to A900! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:04 pm 

That's what I hope(d) as well! I'll buy the VG-C70AM battery grip probably in December, and it'd be great to be able to mount in on the A900 as well (would make the upgrade less expensive). However, in a previous thread (don't know which one), we already came to the conclusion it wouldn't fit. The A900 is wider and the battery compartment and tripod mount, which are both needed to attach the grip, are further apart on the A900.
That's not official though, just some good thoughts of other CL members. It seems more than likely that the A900 will be bigger than the A700. However, on the pictures, they look quite similar...

I searched for some pictures of both grips, so we can compare them:
A700's VG-C70AM:

A900's grip:

As you can see clearly in the image, the grips are indeed different! The Alpha logo in printed on the A700's grip, like it was on the DSLR-A100. The A900's grip has got a similar logo as the DSLR-A700 body.
Also, the arrows of the joystick on the A900's grip are white, instead of black (on the A700's grip). Last difference is the place where you'd rest your thumb, on the A900's grip, there's clear edge, which is not visible on the VG-C70AM.

So not very good news for all A700 + grip users would like to upgrade to the A900 some time (including me :wink: )...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 am 
Thanks for sharing the info! Guess we are all waiting for Photokina!
But I'm hoping that the A900 will launch at a affordable price. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:33 pm 
You're not happy with Canon??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:49 pm 

Shin Howard wrote:
But I'm hoping that the A900 will launch at a affordable price. :D

That's what I hope too! After all the thread and posts on CL and other websites, I'd actually consider buying the thing. If it's affordable though... Lenses come first :) .

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:34 am 
To Bjorn, :D Can see that your 70-200G is 69%
The price of 70-200G drops a bit in Singapore, is there a drop over your region?

To ChickenRice, I swtich from A200 previously to 40D. I'm love my it but I hate it's LCD pixel resolution...Can't check the sharpness of the picture taken. So I'm saving up for A700 + 2 CZ Lens. Hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:41 pm 

Shin Howard wrote:
To Bjorn, :D Can see that your 70-200G is 69%
The price of 70-200G drops a bit in Singapore, is there a drop over your region?

To ChickenRice, I swtich from A200 previously to 40D. I'm love my it but I hate it's LCD pixel resolution...Can't check the sharpness of the picture taken. So I'm saving up for A700 + 2 CZ Lens. Hehe

Yes, 69%. Recently ordered a protective filter for the 70-200mm, so the percentage is probably down a bit. On the 28th, the day I receive my salary, it will rise to 80 or 81%! Can't wait!
Which Zeiss lenses would you be thinking of? The 16-80mm or the superb 24-70mm. I'd be jealous if you bought the last one, that's the next lens on my wishlist!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:04 am 
I'll been looking at the 24-70f/2.8 & 135f/1.8
:twisted:

Cos I really love the A700 & the CZ Lens! Haha
I'm just hoping for some rebates or discounts from Sony! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 am 

Shin Howard wrote:
I'll been looking at the 24-70f/2.8 & 135f/1.8
:twisted:

:shock: Hmmmmm, nice lenses! I'd love to have both of them, but I'll take the 85mm f/1.4 instead, 135mm is a little long and covered at high quality by my future 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM.
But that 24-70mm, I really should get that. Have you tried SSM lenses already. The speed on these things is amazing, and the 24-70mm is said to be the best of them all.
Will you review the lens (or both :) ) once you get them? I'll be reviewing the 70-200mm in October/November, so that may be interesting for you to read as well.

Good luck saving, that gear will set you back some big amounts of $!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 am 
I haven got a chance to try those yet. Haha I still saving at the moment, getting my stuff from Hong Kong as Sony Equipment are far too expensive in Singapore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:22 pm 

I'll try the Zeiss 24-70mm at the end of September, when I buy my 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM. Might just ask for the 85mm f/1.4 as well. I won't be taking them home for a couple of days to review, that's not possible, but I'll give you guys a short general impression of the lenses.

Can't wait to actually buy them. I will, next year and the year after that :) .

- Bjorn -